DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New guy from Prescott, Arizona

I call it periscope recon.

If I'm at a location and want to look around... UP Periscope, look around, down periscope. move on. :)

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Got out for about 3 hours to a large park to test my understanding of the controller and run through some of the automated features:

Asteroid & Dronie - great!

Active track, Trace & Spotlight - behind me and in front of me - great!

Active track, POI - great!

Tried Normal, Cine, and Sport, high and low to the ground. Learned not to use Sport down low until I have better skills to compensate for no obstacle avoidance! Crashed into a chain link fence, but only damaged the props. Lucky!

Glad I bought the 2 year DJI Care Refresh package!

Learned how to hand launch and retrieve, easy.

I put a small strobe on the bottom to enhance VLOS during the day, but can't see it at 200' beyond about 500 meters distance. Need a brighter strobe I guess. Mounted with industrial Velcro and it stayed put all day.

strobe.jpg

Firehouse Technology ARC V strobe ordered for the top of the drone.

Super quiet at that altitude. I bought Master Airscrew Stealth props, but didn't get to try them yet. Quieter is better!

RTH worked great from all distances/heights.

Filed my first airspace request with Aloft in local airport class D. Simple. Not as user friendly an interface as Airmap, but they can no longer provide clearance, as I found out.

I noticed that each time I shut down and then flew again many of the settings in the Fly app reset. Is this normal?

A great day overall! A video:

Last edited:
I have lived in Prescott, AZ for 5 years. I hold a commercial pilot rating for fixed wing and helicopters, but I have not flown for some time. I just purchased my first drone, a DJI Mini 2 DJI Air 2S which I plan to use for recreation only for the time being. I'll likely pursue part 107 certification since I can envision some opportunities to utilize the drone for business.

I have been watching every YouTube video that is relevant to a new drone pilot and took the recreational UAS test. My drone arrives in 3 days, so anxious to give it a test drive far away from the 100' Ponderosa pines that surround my house!

It's great to have a community forum like this, so looking forward to participating and asking questions. Thanks!
I will be traveling to Prescott and would like to do some drone photography & video there. Can you recommend someplace to get some shots that wouldn't be in one of the many Wilderness areas surrounding Prescott. Thanks

Reactions: Chris4koi
I will be traveling to Prescott and would like to do some drone photography & video there. Can you recommend someplace to get some shots that wouldn't be in one of the many Wilderness areas surrounding Prescott. Thanks
One of the most photogenic areas of Prescott is Watson Lake. You'll need to get a LAANC clearance since it's in the PRC class D, but all of the lake can be flown to 400' AGL with clearance.

Goldwater Lake is good to go and not in PRC class D. Just watch out for eagles & ravens there.

Check a current sectional chart to stay away from wilderness and bald eagle breeding areas.

Reactions: Chris4koi
One of the most photogenic areas of Prescott is Watson Lake. You'll need to get a LAANC clearance since it's in the PRC class D, but all of the lake can be flown to 400' AGL with clearance.

Goldwater Lake is good to go and not in PRC class D. Just watch out for eagles & ravens there.

Check a current sectional chart to stay away from wilderness and bald eagle breeding areas.
Very nice thank you. The rock formations at Watson Lake reminds me of Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park, SD

Attachments

• DSCF3702.1.3__aeb.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929