DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New here in Michigan

Ive been out just north of Ortonville in several places. Holloway Reservoir has a lot of cool places. yesterday I was filmig Grosse point Yacht Club, there is a very small area that is legal there. Ive been to several areas up in the thumb. Its a little work but using airmap and DJI map, you can find little places all over the State. I just happened to live in the small but legal area, near a lot of industrial businesses

Reactions: bapski
Ive been out just north of Ortonville in several places. Holloway Reservoir has a lot of cool places. yesterday I was filmig Grosse point Yacht Club, there is a very small area that is legal there. Ive been to several areas up in the thumb. Its a little work but using airmap and DJI map, you can find little places all over the State. I just happened to live in the small but legal area, near a lot of industrial businesses

i have airmap but how is it pointed out on the app that a location is legal to fly in?

see the circles, those ares are usual no fly zones, but you can call the towers of airports and ask for permission if your not right near the airport.. if you click on a circle, it will tell you what type of zone it is. I try to just go to places that have no circles at all. read up and learn the app, it will give you more info..
DJI_0032.JPG

Last edited:
My wife is usually with me when flying, so she will have Flight radar24 app running on here phone, watching for any low flying planes or choppers, so we try to cover as much safety things we can, It seems like alot, but once you get used to using these apps, and build a routine, it becomes natural.. I try to do everything I can to respect the places and airspace we fly in.

My wife is usually with me when flying, so she will have Flight radar24 app running on here phone, watching for any low flying planes or choppers, so we try to cover as much safety things we can, It seems like alot, but once you get used to using these apps, and build a routine, it becomes natural.. I try to do everything I can to respect the places and airspace we fly in.

wow.. your way too lucky... who else in here would have a wife as wingman.. lol.. . i cant get my wife to do anything related to my interests....

im just afraid to run into trouble when i fly... i frequent bald mountain and the south loop an area where the water is, if for me a good spot for me to fly and explore..... i just wish it was that easy to fly there as i dont think i can it being a park...

happy flying..

get her out in the back yard, fly your bird up to about 150 feet, and stick the remote in her hand and let her give it a go. with a little practice, it may trigger something with her, and at 150 high, there isnt much to worry about running into and tell her that, she may like it the way we do once she tries it...

It looks like your ok to fly there in that green circle at Lower Trout Lake. its got a green circle and says its part of SKYMASTERS RC CLUB, Dont hold me to that, but it looks ok. let me check DJI map too, hang on..

It looks like your ok to fly there in that green circle at Lower Trout Lake. its got a green circle and says its part of SKYMASTERS RC CLUB, Dont hold me to that, but it looks ok. let me check DJI map too, hang on..

0fb6badd49edcb570d1e28b6bded8680.png

We usually frequent the MTB trail of Bald Mountain and looks like as it is, its pretty much a no fly zone... lol

It has no NFZ rings withe DJI map, So your good there, State parks are not allowed, as far as i know. but the are has a green ring around it, I think your ok.. I always leave these apps opened up just in case police or some comes questioning, but I have never been hassled out and about. I even took my Spark once near Detroit Metro Airport, with props off and tried to start it in the car just so I know what to expect if I accidently end up in a NFZ . Spark would not start and told me why..

It has no NFZ rings withe DJI map, So your good there, State parks are not allowed, as far as i know. but the are has a green ring around it, I think your ok.. I always leave these apps opened up just in case police or some comes questioning, but I have never been hassled out and about. I even took my Spark once near Detroit Metro Airport, with props off and tried to start it in the car just so I know what to expect if I accidently end up in a NFZ . Spark would not start and told me why..

Curious to know how you are using the DJI map to determine if a location is good to fly or not...is that the one on the DJI GO 4 app?
I should be connected to the drone to look at the map?

Sorry, my drone flying experience is limited to a start from last year on a Spark and now a Mavic Air but havent really flown them much because of my apprehensions as i never know where i can really fly without being hassled by anybody...

Yeagh its very tricky to make sure were not breaking any laws. Tha why I mosly go to areas that have no rings at all.

This is where I was yesterday to get that marina shot. its just a sliver of land with no rings....

Shot 1294.png

Looks like i have a better chance at Stony Creek Metropark

226c4519cbbf256166adaa3912fff9e2.png

Although i still doubt it :(

I believe, as long as its not a red circle, you can call the tower and ask for permission,if its an airport circle. I haven't done it yet, but others have with very positive responses

I believe, as long as its not a red circle, you can call the tower and ask for permission,if its an airport circle. I haven't done it yet, but others have with very positive responses

ive tried calling an airport when we were in NJ for a vacation and have had good results. i just did not want to miss flying my MA while being there.

yea, it kinda sucks. there is so many beautiful lakes and wild life in that whole area. I hardly ever fly above 250feet, mostly Im at around 100-125feet, down at tree top level then even lower when over water, 20-50feet, aint no planes or copters going to be down that low in those areas, maybe a sea-plane? thats where flight radar 24 app comes in. In the forums there is probably alot more info on this subject.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom