DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPad mini

Palmary

Reactions
Was going to buy an iPad mini 128GB to use with the standard remote for my Mavic 2 Pro (the telephone screen is way too small). But now I see Apple has announced the new mini.

I'm not very technically savvy, so do you see any tangible benefit in buying the new model for my purpose, or should I try to use it as an opportunity to grab a bargain on the old one?

If the new one, do I need cellar model and would 64 GB be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Cell not required. You can load maps at home around a WiFi signal, then go fly.
The faster processor will make a difference.
Storage capacity just depends on how many pictures you plan on keeping.
256 is overkill in my opinion.

Cell not required. You can load maps at home around a WiFi signal, then go fly.

Thanks, Starz.

Re Cell and WiFi models, sorry for my ignorance, how can I load maps for a particular area while at home?

Also, I remember reading some forum threads a long time ago, and there was a point to justify purchasing a cellar model as it had a built-in GPS module, while WiFi only didn't. Is it still valid? Am I confused with something?

Last edited:
Thanks, Starz.

Re Cell and WiFi models, sorry for my ignorance, how can I load maps for a particular area while at home?

Also, I remember reading some forum threads a long time ago, and there was a point to justify purchasing a cellar model as it had a built-in GPS module, while WiFi only didn't. Is it still valid? Am I confused with something?
The way I do it is turn on the go4 app, click on your map, then scroll your map to the area you will fly at a later time, when you have scrolled around that area on the map that you will be flying in, turn go4 off. It will be saved for later.

The only reason the gps comes into play, is if you want to change your home point location from where it set at takeoff on that particular flight.
I’ve never had the need to do that, so more research on your end will be needed.

Was going to order a new mini5 from apple, then stopped.
50.00 for tax.
Anyone find a source other than apple?
I guess I’ll wait till bh photo has them. Typically free shipping and no tax.

The only reason the gps comes into play, is if you want to change your home point location from where it set at takeoff on that particular flight.
I’ve never had the need to do that, so more research on your end will be needed.

Thanks, Starz!

Yes, I don't think I'll be changing the home point during the same flight very often :)

But I've seen your point on the resale value in another thread, which makes perfect sense to me. So, new mini Cell + WiFi and 64GB seems to be the way to go.
The new models are already available in all major retailers here in AU, so will be purchasing one on Saturday :)

Last edited:
The only assurance you need is to look at all the used non cell iPads that are for sale. The cell versions sell first. Drone pilots don’t need the cell capacity. So if you’re 100% sure you will resell to a pilot, get the WiFi.
I won’t make that assumption. Cell for me when I can find one with no tax and free shipping. I’ll have the one everyone wants when it’s time to unload.

I believe in addition to the new processor, I read that the screen has a 25% bump in brightness, too. That should be significant. I'm glad I waited for the new version of the mini!

I believe in addition to the new processor, I read that the screen has a 25% bump in brightness, too. That should be significant. I'm glad I waited for the new version of the mini!

I’m impatient, so I wanted another Mini4 128g cell version for my other MP2, so I bought one 2weeks ago...
If I’d waited, I could’ve either saved $150, or got the mini5. I guess I’m too old to learn [emoji5]

Reactions: Canuk
Research. iPad mini4 - 450 nit
iPad mini5 - 500 nit
Run the numbers, it ain’t 25%
Correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t know if a person would notice a 10% difference in screen brightness.

That’s why I thought the above was worth mentioning.
I just want the a12 processor.

I’m impatient, so I wanted another Mini4 128g cell version for my other MP2, so I bought one 2weeks ago...
If I’d waited, I could’ve either saved $150, or got the mini5. I guess I’m too old to learn [emoji5]
hi MichiganMavic you could do a trade in for mini 5 might save you a bit

The trade value that they wanted to give me for a mini4 128gb with cell was 130.00
Not the route to take for me.

Last edited:
The trade value that they wanted to gave me for a mini4 128gb with cell was 130.00
Not the route to take for me.
Are Apple taking the pixx that's ridicules not even half of what its worth :mad:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0