DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New ish pilot looking for new drone

Iand101

Reactions
Hi all, sorry to post such a tedious first post but I'm not sure what to do.

I'm looking to get a new drone and I have it narrowed down to 2.
The mini and the air.

Forgetting the costs entirely, which is the better drone to fly, own, use etc?

My main requirement is a small drone, something portable. They both fit the bill there. At the moment, the only thing that's stopping me get the air is the flight time which seems quite short. I like the object tracking and the wind resistance of the air.

I use my drones for land management and checking on wildlife. It needs good picture quality, a stable connection and to be reliable and to be small enough to put in a pack and hike.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reactions: LankALank
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
The MM will give longer flight time, but much less wind resistance than the MA.
Know you’ve looked ... but have to Rec the MPP if you’re not going for the M2P.

I know it's a different price bracket, but the Mavic 2 Pro Zoom has to be the ideal drone for checking wildlife, as it gives you that ability to 'zoom' the camera in without having to get too close to the animals. It also has the best flight duration and is not so bothered by the wind like the Mini is ...
The Mav 2 Pro is still very portable, even though it's about 3x the weight of the Mavic Mini ...

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
The MM will give longer flight time, but much less wind resistance than the MA.
Know you’ve looked ... but have to Rec the MPP if you’re not going for the M2P.

I totally agree with Thomas! Your intended usage would suggest that you consider moving up to an MP, MPP or M2P/M2Z

Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks for your suggestions.
I'd agree re the mpp if I hadn't already sized it up in my pack and it just won't fit (without ditching other kit).
Im hiking a lot in mountainous terrain, checking on terrain condition and wildlife numbers.
The size of the mpp, even when folded is just a bit too big and I have to pack as light as possible as when combined with my safety gear I just don't have the pack space.
Its tricky.......

apart from size, the MM is not really suitable for flying in any sort of windy conditions, because of its light weight and restricted power, the mavic air would be a reasonable drone for the use you have in mind,but any drone you choose will have to be carried with a certain amount of equipment,and will impact on your ability to carry it

apart from size, the MM is not really suitable for flying in any sort of windy conditions, because of its light weight and restricted power, the mavic air would be a reasonable drone for the use you have in mind,but any drone you choose will have to be carried with a certain amount of equipment,and will impact on your ability to carry it
Yeah, I've been slightly moving towards the air, simply due to the power.
If it had more flight time that would have sealed the deal, but maybe the 15 to 20 minutes is enough, with extra batteries. Apparently they are very noisy drones though.
Definitely aware of the bundle of kit I'll need to carry for any if them, I think I need a bigger bag... And bigger legs!

Maybe I need both! ??

This might be interesting ...

I have both the Air and the Mini.
For what you're talking about you would definitely want the Air. It's super reliable and wind is definitely not a problem. It's also way faster than the Mini which will help getting to and from the areas you're interested in. Although the mini is a little smaller I expect you won't get the performance you're hoping for. I know the flight time is great but I expect you will have problems flying it many days because of its difficulty in dealing with the wind. I just checked my flight logs and I'm regularly getting 18-20 minute flight times from my Air. I don't usually "push it" and try to land with 20% or more battery remaining. If you can get the Fly More combo you should have everything you need including a couple of extra batteries and the small case which is perfect for throwing in a backpack. Keep an eye out and you might find a refurbished unit available and be able to save some money.
Best of luck and happy flying.

Attachments

• KIMG1105.JPG
    KIMG1105.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • KIMG1101.JPG
    KIMG1101.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Master Airscrew prop's for the Mavic Air, will reduce the noise a little ... Typically, the MAS prop's are more efficient and will be less intrusive (more humm than buzz).

That's all very useful information. Thanks to you all. I think the wind resistance may be the deciding factor all things considered.
What's the point in carrying something that I can't use!?
I'll check out those different props.
I think I saw something about those online when I was researching initially, it was mentioned that they can create some kind of error in the system?

The V2 models work great. There is a setting that MAS recommends you change, took me 20 seconds. They work great, definitely an improvement

Reactions: scoble08
I think I saw something about those online when I was researching initially, it was mentioned that they can create some kind of error in the system?
You are talking about a change of a GAIN setting in the Go4 app' that runs on your mobile device used in conjunction with the controller. The instruction sheet that comes with the MAS prop's for the Mavic Air, has instructions as to what the settings should be changed to. Feedback on this forum indicates that there are no issues after making the changes.

You might end up as I did with a specialty backpack.

Thanks again everyone. Looking for a good deal on an Air atm.

Off topic but ... Can anyone enlighten me as to what the rth function will do off you start by flying down hill on a mavic? My flying is mostly in mountains and my last drone, a parrot had major problems with its rth for some reason.
Will it rise above its starting point altitude and then return home? Or will it just rise up x metres and then plough in to the mountainside.

RTH will rise to the height set in Go4 from the from the AGL altitude upon take off. For example, you take off halfway up the mountain the aircraft will consider the point to be 0' AGL so if your RTH height is 200' upon activation your aircraft will rise 200' above the take off location (halfway up the mountain) before pointing for home.
Exceptions:
If your aircraft is 20m or closer to you

Your aircraft is currently higher than the set RTH height, it will return home at it's current height

Reactions: Iand101
Hi all, sorry to post such a tedious first post but I'm not sure what to do.

I'm looking to get a new drone and I have it narrowed down to 2.
The mini and the air.

Forgetting the costs entirely, which is the better drone to fly, own, use etc?

My main requirement is a small drone, something portable. They both fit the bill there. At the moment, the only thing that's stopping me get the air is the flight time which seems quite short. I like the object tracking and the wind resistance of the air.

I use my drones for land management and checking on wildlife. It needs good picture quality, a stable connection and to be reliable and to be small enough to put in a pack and hike.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Welcome.

Different strokes for different folks. If I were chosing between Mini and Air, I'd choose the Air. But how and where you think you'll use it will guide you best.
For example, You'll be flying mostly in a windy city or mountains might influence your decision.
Warm regards.

RTH will rise to the height set in Go4 from the from the AGL altitude upon take off. For example, you take off halfway up the mountain the aircraft will consider the point to be 0' AGL so if your RTH height is 200' upon activation your aircraft will rise 200' above the take off location (halfway up the mountain) before pointing for home.
Exceptions:
If your aircraft is 20m or closer to you

Your aircraft is currently higher than the set RTH height, it will return home at it's current height
Thankyou. That clears that up.

In my opinion the Mini is to small and has had multiple fly always. Maybe more like wind take always. I have an Air now and love it. Had 100 flights on my Sparj and loved it also. Go with the air

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure