DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New M2P (Questions in regards to data on the AC, battery and gimbal)

Brian Fist

Reactions
Well, I picked up a barely used Mavic 2 Pro. It showed only 10 cycles on the battery (which was charged when I picked it up), not a scratch on the controller (which still had the plastic screen protector from the factory still on it), and I was told that it was only flown twice. It had the latest firmware on the AC and the RC.

The box (which matched the AC for serial #) had a 2018/10 date code. According to the data files, the first flight was in September of 2019. There were 8 flight files (only going back a month), but around 49 other files (I forget the name given in DJI Assistant 2 for the second set next to the flights) that went back to September of 2019.

Based on what I believe I was reading it looked like he messed with options and stuff with the drone on, but only flew it a few times. The built-in memory was full and had a few pictures and videos (the pics were of the floor and one outside shot that was taken at the same time he flew it near the lakefront with a corresponding video from the same time, along with a test video outside where he lived). So it would seem that he was most certainly truthful that it only had a couple of flights.

The controller is a RC1A so I will get flight data on my phone/tablet while using the M2P, which is a bonus.

Now, the question I have is in regards to the battery. It checked out with 10 cycles on it via the DJI Go 4 app. Today when I was calibrating the gimbal and checking it out, it was not recharged since I got it and today it was showing 11 battery cycles. Why is that?

I did not recharge it. It was shut off with about 38% battery yesterday (when it showed 10 cycles), started again with the same amount of charge. Why would the battery go from 10 cycles to 11 cycles without a recharge?

Also, in regards to the battery, since it is a late 2018 battery, does anyone know if it is susceptible to the "swollen battery" syndrome that many 2018 Mavic 2 batteries had? Or is there a known "cut-off date" for the "known bad" ones?

In regards to the gimbal, I noticed it didn't look like it was facing EXACTLY forward (in relation to the front nose of the M2P). In playing with the adjust gimbal function I noticed a -1.0 to -1.2 adjustment made the camera "line up" with the front/body better than the 0.0 non-adjusted setting. Is this a known issue and something I always have to account for? (With my Phantom 4 Pro v1 I never had it "off" where I had to adjust for it, thus my inquiry)

I figure I won't know 100% for sure until I build a grid, align the drone to the grid and then check to see if the camera is pointing "dead straight" ahead. Or, does it even really matter?

Last edited:
Well, I picked up a barely used Mavic 2 Pro. It showed only 10 cycles on the battery (which was charged when I picked it up), not a scratch on the controller (which still had the plastic screen protector from the factory still on it), and I was told that it was only flown twice. It had the latest firmware on the AC and the RC.

The box (which matched the AC for serial #) had a 2018/10 date code. According to the data files, the first flight was in September of 2019.
Hi, Welcome to the Mavic 2 Club, but I'm not sure of your question is.

Hi, Welcome to the Mavic 2 Club, but I'm not sure of your question is.
Sorry, I was doing a post and for some reason it posted before I was done (overly "touchy" touchpad on my laptop here I guess), so I went back and was editing the post to include everything.

The number of cycles is based on discharging instead of charging operation. For more details see this thread : Battery charge cycle counter

Regarding the misalignment between the camera and the body, it's seen on my M2P as well. Gimbal adjustment will fix it but that may not be too meaningful as it will likely drift again in flight but the amount is always small. If you do hand launching during which the drone is often moved around a lot prior to taking off, the amount can be quite big. panning the camera down and then up will restore the orientation.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
Uninstall Assistant 2 and download and install Assistant 2 for Mavic. Then update the firmware of each device. Controller, Drone separately. Then do gimbal calibration.

Uninstall Assistant 2 and download and install Assistant 2 for Mavic. Then update the firmware of each device. Controller, Drone separately. Then do gimbal calibration.
I just did all of that. No difference. But, I feel better doing it anyways, that way I know everything is reset back to original settings everywhere.

It really isn't that big of a deal, I can adjust it with the gimbal adjust settings. It is just that I didn't have to do that with my P4P.

boblui, thanks for the clarification on the battery. Nice to know they don't count a "cycle" until you hit 25% or below on the battery. I wonder if it has some sort of wear indicator in case you constantly recharge it before it gets to 25%? (ie, if you constantly recharge at 35%, after a few of those does it count a cycle?) I know it would not be the "normal" use-case, but I can see it happening.

Nice to know they don't count a "cycle" until you hit 25% or below on the battery. I wonder if it has some sort of wear indicator in case you constantly recharge it before it gets to 25%? (ie, if you constantly recharge at 35%, after a few of those does it count a cycle?) I know it would not be the "normal" use-case, but I can see it happening.

The % figure shown in the GO APP is based on the actual battery capacity measured by the BMS ( Battery Management System ) , the small computer inside the battery. The actual capacity degrades over time as the battery ages.

Cycle counting does not use that % figure but the absolute amount of mAh taken out of the battery. E.g. the battery capacity of the M2 stated in the spec is 3950 mAh. 75% of that is 2927 mAh. For every 2927 mAh discharged from the battery, the cycle count is increased by one. In updating the counter, the BMS only looks at the cumulative amount of mAh discharged. The number of times charging / discharge is done has no effect.

Last edited:
Cool, so it does keep a counter of discharged energy and handles it that way...

Basically, the cycle count *is* a true count of actual energy cycles through the battery.

Too bad they didn't build-in logic to keep per-cell diagnostics real-time. Then again, from a manufacturer standpoint I don't think you really want that information available to end-users as I am sure it would just result in more warranty claims or bad-feelings about batteries going bad. Basically a lose-lose situation for the manufacturer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots