DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New MA Owner But I Don't Have My Drone DJI Does Long Story

So if we first start to look at the AC movements when thing's start to go haywire ...

At 19,76sec the AC rapidly pitches down (Light blue), this together with a roll going all over in negative direction (Blue) & a yaw that turns CW. This leads to a spiraling rapid descent from 3,89m height to ground. All this indicate as I said earlier, a lost thrust from the left front ... either a motor failure or a lost prop.

As a side note to this we also see that even though the barometric sensor reports a height over HP to 3,89m (Red) the ultra sonic sensor says 0,1m (Black) witch indeed indicates that the sensors were covered or disturbed by the silicon cover ... but even so, that alone can't bring down the AC in this way.

(Click on the charts below to bring them up full screen)

View attachment 105136

Looking further into the motor RPM's show us that something happens with the left front (Magenta) ... at 19,86sec the RPM suddenly drops to only 691rpm's while the others rev between 7700-10300rpm's.

View attachment 105138

Then looking into how the motors was commanded by the flight controller ... As seen below the FC wanted the left front motor to spin 100% (Purple) from 19,75sec. But that only resulted in 691rpm eventually as per chart above.

View attachment 105139

The last check is regarding the motor current draw when all above happens ... at 19,87sec we see that the left front spikes up (blue), indicating it's been jammed.

View attachment 105140

So from above it looks like the reason for this incident was a sudden stop of the left front motor ... either some debris was blown up at take off & into the motor or something internal in that motor came loose & blocked it. Even though something is going on with the downward height sensors (according to the first chart) it can't make a motor stop at height.
I am so grateful to you for checking this out for me. DJI is still trying to get me to pay to have the drone fix. I told them no way and gave them a copy of your report. I asked them again to send my drone back if they refuse to fix it, but they tell me let them know the truth so they can work out the issue ...yeah ...right.

I don't see how the case could possibly come in contact with the prop.
Most certainly could and would easily explain your log files and the resulting crash.

Most certainly could and would easily explain your log files and the resulting crash.
There is no way the cover can come into contact with the prop. If that had been the case, their would have been an indication of contact on the cover, but there is not. The case fits snug on the drone, it would not come loose.

Silicon covers can very easily not show an impact mark, thats one of the basic ideas of having a silicon cover on things!

I know you disagree, that's perfectly fine. Mavic Airs are not falling from the sky with left front motor problems. You asked for assistance on identifying the cause of the failure. You had put an aftermarket cover and silicon skin on your aircraft, I was simply pointing out a very logical explanation that answers all of the "why" questions. Not to mention you have already admitted the aftermarket cover you installed was blocking a sensor.

Hope you are able to get it back into the air and enjoy some flying.

Last edited:
Yes I do disagree, as I said there is simply no way the cover can touch the prop it is not physically possible. It may be difficult to see in the picture so I believe your explanation is not logical. Also I never said the cover was blocking the sensor. I said that is what I was told.

The main thing is I am very grateful for this site and the folks that took the time to comment and help. I am looking forward to getting my drone back and learning how to take proper care of it. Fortunately I have other drones that allow me to enjoy flying..:cool:

Wellsir ... last week I email dji and told them to either honor the warranty and repair the drone, or send it back. I keep getting the run a round.

quote:

Thank you for contacting us back and I hope that you're doing well.

I do understand, let me notify our data analysis team as well for the flight records so that they can check again the server. We will keep you posted via email for updates.
end quote

This is getting ridiculous. What is so hard about sending the drone back?[/quote]

I am definitely getting the run around from dji ....

quote:

Mark (DJI Support)
2020年6月25日 GMT+8 上午3:05

We can send the unit back as soon as we receive your flight records. It is advised that you export the flight records manually since were unable to see it in our server. Please see attached file for the instructions.

If you do not wish to continue with the flight records, you can settle or pay the invoice so that this repair case could progress.

We look forward to your response.

Here is there email stating they had the flight records.

Drew (DJI Support)
2020年6月13日 GMT+8 上午3:28:38

Thank you for writing back to us and I hope all is well.

As per the flight log, the bottom sensor height was at 0 the whole flight, meaning that there is an object blocking the bottom sensor of the aircraft to cause the incident.

Since there is an object blocking the vision sensor of the aircraft it would malfunction that will not properly work that would affect the flight of the aircraft. This is what caused the crash of your Mavic Air aircraft.

After your payment is successfully received, we will then continue with the process. We will update you regarding the progress of your case through the email address you provided. You may also check the status of the repair by yourself using the repair case number at our website:https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace?from=dji_repair.

I hope this information helps you with your inquiries. Please feel free to contact us again in case you need further assistance.

I am curious, does the mavic air not keep flight logs on/in the drone?
I ask because the op is being asked for flight logs from, presumably, their phone.

They have the flight records as the email I posted shows. I am STILL getting the run a round and they are STILL refusing to return my drone.

quote ...

Mark (DJI Support)

2020年6月26日 GMT+8 上午12:31

Thank you for the additional information and I have read previous emails as well. Our engineers are unable to see the synced flight records in our server. This is the reason that they are asking you to export the flight records manually from your device. Please see attached file for the instructions and we look forward to your response.

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to let us know. end quote

I keep telling them to send back my drone and all I get is the run a round.
Does anyone know what part of dji oversees that department and how I can contact them?

I think you may have misunderstood my question, I was asking why they would need flight logs of the phone? I would have thought that there was a much more thorough set of logs stored on the drone itself.

I asked them about that and they told me they need the info on the app.

For the record because I have file a formal complaint with the BBB and AG in Texas this is the email dji send me stated they have my flight records ...

quote ...

DJI Support (DJI Support)
2020年5月15日 GMT+8 上午8:13:51
Thank you for your prompt response.

We have forwarded your case to our data analysis engineers for review. Members of the R&D team will conduct a thorough analysis of your records and ensure that a full report is made available to you as soon as possible.

You will be receiving an email from our Data analysis department asking for further details to run the analysis if needed or our notification team will notify the result to you in separate email once our engineer finish the analysis if the file is enough for the review

Be aware that processing time may vary, depending on several factors, such as the complexity and quantity of the provided flight data. We will contact you when the analysis is complete.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Karen
DJI Technical Support end quote

In this email they ask me not to lie ...
quote ...

Drew (DJI Support)
2020年6月12日 GMT+8 上午3:48:39
Hello Deborah,

Thank you for writing back to us and I hope all is well.

As per our Data Analysis Team, kindly provide all information necessary during the last flight when the incident happened on your aircraft. As per our Data Analysis Team kindly inform us if you have attached any accessories on the aircraft while flying as there was an object blocking the bottom sensor of the aircraft as per the flight records.

Kindly let us know that truth and we will work together in order to have a better solution for this issue.

Looking forward to your response. end quote

Anyone here know if they can refuse to return my drone? Anyone here know who oversees dji repair in TX?

Well, did you fail to mention to them the silicone case you installed on the drone? As pointed out in the thread earlier, it was blocking the sensor.

Have you opened up a thread on the DJI Forum about the failure of getting your drone returned? The moderators there seem to be pretty active and helpful.

No I did not fail to tell them about the cover. I saw no reason not to. It is to protect the drone. I don't see how the bottom sensor could be blocking with the holds for the sensors in the cover. Maybe a small part but not all of it. As the report shows the cover was not the cause of the crash as dji claimed.
I went to that site and signed up, but I had trouble finding a way to post, I log on through my email address and was able to post something. Hopefully I will get a response. I gave a link to this thread so I didn't have to go through the whole story again.

I just want my drone back and dji has no right to keep it.

Last edited:
No I did not fail to tell them about the cover. I saw no reason not to. It is to protect the drone. I don't see how the bottom sensor could be blocking with the holds for the sensors in the cover.

?

Update ... dji still refuses to return my drone. The BBB has stepped in to help. If this doesn't work I will take dji to small claims court to get back my drone.:mad:

I went to that site and signed up, but I had trouble finding a way to post, I log on through my email address and was able to post something. Hopefully I will get a response. I gave a link to this thread so I didn't have to go through the whole story again.

At best on this site you can receive sympathy. But if you discuss this on the DJI official support site you may get some assistance with your request. The DJI moderators there can actually assist you, we can not.

forum.dji.com

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ