DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New MA2 owner - a couple of questions

KerrodT

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased my first drone, MA2. I bought the Fly-More combo pack with the carry case, extra batteries etc. I have a couple of basic questions on storage when not in use:

1. Should the propellors be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave them permanently attached?
2. Should the battery be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave the battery inserted in the drone?
3. When a battery is fully charged do they drain/discharge much/quickly just from not being in use (and not inserted in the drone)? Reason I ask is that I did a first charge on all 3 batteries when I purchased the kit and fully charged them. 2 days later, 2 of the 3 batteries were down to ~70% charge from no use at all and no activity from the time they were charged to when they were used. These 2 had never been put in the drone. The third battery was used on the day of charge and was at 100% charge when used.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

You need to read the manual so you will understand the batteries. It is sore subject on this forum.

I take of my props off but that is up to you. I also take out the battery but again it up to you.

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased my first drone, MA2. I bought the Fly-More combo pack with the carry case, extra batteries etc. I have a couple of basic questions on storage when not in use:

1. Should the propellors be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave them permanently attached?
2. Should the battery be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave the battery inserted in the drone?
3. When a battery is fully charged do they drain/discharge much/quickly just from not being in use (and not inserted in the drone)? Reason I ask is that I did a first charge on all 3 batteries when I purchased the kit and fully charged them. 2 days later, 2 of the 3 batteries were down to ~70% charge from no use at all and no activity from the time they were charged to when they were used. These 2 had never been put in the drone. The third battery was used on the day of charge and was at 100% charge when used.

Thanks.

I leave the props on.

Na. Ok to store and carry the drone with battery in place.

Oh, yes... You see, it's hard on Lithium batteries to stay at full charge for a long time, so the smart battery will take its charge down to like 98% if it sits for a day, and after a few days, it will go down to about 60%. Kindof annoying when you say, "Wow, what a pretty day to fly," but the batteries have run themselves down for storage. Check the weather each morning.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
This may help... the 54 page full manual for your drone from DJI... not everything, but worth the read. I keep all my drone manuals on my phone.

. When a battery is fully charged do they drain/discharge much/quickly just from not being in use ....

For me it's the opposite. The rate of auto discharge is too slow for me so I always manaully discharge it to two lights before storage. I never charge it to full but just two lights unless I will fly the next day.

I have come across a report saying that DJI has changed the firmware to shorten the auto-discharge time from 10 days to 5 days because of swollen battery problems so I believe the less amount of time the battery is in fully-charged state, the longer the battery life will be.

1610434239879.png

Last edited:
Changing from years old default of 10 days discharge to 5 days was changed on the M2 back on around Sept/Oct 2019 after a rash of swollen batteries that summer. DJI also added the ability to change the days in Go. Before that change, M2 was the first I'm aware of where days to discharge was not configurable.

With the MA2, it should be at least 5 days before you see it start to discharge to about 60%, though it will discharge a few % within a day. Therefore seems strange you saw the batteries discharge after only a couple days.

Reactions: KerrodT
This may help... the 54 page full manual for your drone from DJI... not everything, but worth the read. I keep all my drone manuals on my phone.
Why give him the manual? If like he said he just got the drone new wouldn't the manual be with it. I've noticed a few posters do this instead of just answering the question. Strange.

I leave the batteries on and the props. The batteries will discharge if not in use.

Why give him the manual? If like he said he just got the drone new wouldn't the manual be with it. I've noticed a few posters do this instead of just answering the question. Strange.

I leave the batteries on and the props. The batteries will discharge if not in use.

I didn't receive a manual in my MA2 fly more package, its download only.

Ah I see sorry I didn't realise that.
As a follow up....All DJI Manuals are a download thing....you only get a quick start guide in the box....and unfortunately many people give that and look a go out for a maiden flight. The main User Manual MUST be downloaded and read through (I always say twice), it details many, many things. Most of which gets asked on these forums, thus "Clogging" the real help of some other issues that aren't in the basic manual. "We" all try to help and we were all beginners once as well, but it does get tiresome to have to constantly daily/weekly/monthly repeat the basics that should have been read in the first place....You will see this a bit when some of us get a bit disgruntled: "Please RTFM". I'm sure you can decode that :)

Hint: Read The F^%#ing Manual

Batteries get a bit warm when used. I tend to not leave a warm battery in the aircraft to help dissipate the heat. After flying, I remove the battery and insert an unused one. May not be necessary, but just me.

Batteries get a bit warm when used. I tend to not leave a warm battery in the aircraft to help dissipate the heat. After flying, I remove the battery and insert an unused one. May not be necessary, but just me.
Heat destroys batteries, I as well will remove the battery right after landing to speed the cooling process. :) I have been known in the summer months when just flying from my deck for some around the block or yard training to take the pack just inside the door to a nearby A/C duct and place it on that, I then rotate batteries, one from the duct to floor for resting a bit longer, out of aircraft to duct, next battery in, when I get to my forth battery in aircraft, the first battery is put on charge...a whole day of flying fun :) With 5 batteries you can with careful routine, fly pretty much without much downtime other than rotating batteries from station to station.

No, the MA2 does not come with the real manual.. glad when I got here someone told me!

Reactions: MORTON and Thomas B
So every one always talks about batteries and "storage"... define storage please.. how long is "storage'? I seem to always fly my bird within a couple days, so when I get done flying I give the batteries time to cool down then fully charge them and put them away. Then within a day or two I go flying and do it all over again.. very rare is it that it would sit 3-4-5 days before I fly it again. Is this acceptable? I've had mine since 3rd week in Nov and no problems so far.

So every one always talks about batteries and "storage"... define storage please.. how long is "storage'? I seem to always fly my bird within a couple days, so when I get done flying I give the batteries time to cool down then fully charge them and put them away. Then within a day or two I go flying and do it all over again.. very rare is it that it would sit 3-4-5 days before I fly it again. Is this acceptable? I've had mine since 3rd week in Nov and no problems so far.
You haven't put enough cycles on your batteries to see any effect, but I would definitely change the behavior I highlighted above. It's best to charge any Lithium-based battery as close to the time you use it as possible (especially when charged to 100%, which I almost always do with a drone). For example, charge the night before...which lets them cool down...and not sit so long before using the next day.
I consider "long term storage" to be anything beyond a week, in which case it's best to store Lithium-based batteries somewhere around 50% (read: could be +/- 20%, but mid-range is best).

You haven't put enough cycles on your batteries to see any effect, but I would definitely change the behavior I highlighted above. It's best to charge any Lithium-based battery as close to the time you use it as possible (especially when charged to 100%, which I almost always do with a drone). For example, charge the night before...which lets them cool down...and not sit so long before using the next day.
I consider "long term storage" to be anything beyond a week, in which case it's best to store Lithium-based batteries somewhere around 50% (read: could be +/- 20%, but mid-range is best).
By the time I get done flying it is kinda like the night before.

I don't think I've ever gone a week without flying since I got it, 2 or 3 days maybe due to weather..

Hi
Just to let you know, I solve the problem of bringing the batteries at 60% as required for storage
I bought the intelligent charger and tested. It works very well
Look in Amazone forhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Hanatora Battery Wall Charger & Car Charger for DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone and USB-C Remote Controller Cable,5 in 1 Rapid Multi Parallel Charging Hub with Charge and Storage​

Hanatora Battery Wall Charger &... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J7M1MPL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Goto PilotInstitute.com, they have a free course on the Mavic Air 2, very in depth the best detailed instructional video on the Mavic Air 2.

Dave

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Hello, goto PilotInstitute.com, they have a Free video course on the Mavic Air 2 that is very detailed. This is by far the best instructional video explaining every aspect of the Mavic Air 2 in a very clear cohesive manner.

Dave

Hello, goto PilotInstitute.com, they have a Free video course on the Mavic Air 2 that is very detailed. This is by far the best instructional video explaining every aspect of the Mavic Air 2 in a very clear cohesive manner.

Dave
Thanks for the link to the Pilotsinstitute I signed up for the course and look forward to using it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22