DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New MA2 owner - a couple of questions

Why give him the manual? If like he said he just got the drone new wouldn't the manual be with it. I've noticed a few posters do this instead of just answering the question. Strange.

I leave the batteries on and the props. The batteries will discharge if not in use.
The manual, as listed in full version, is only available online....

Reactions: cuckaburra
Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased my first drone, MA2. I bought the Fly-More combo pack with the carry case, extra batteries etc. I have a couple of basic questions on storage when not in use:

1. Should the propellors be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave them permanently attached?
2. Should the battery be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave the battery inserted in the drone?
3. When a battery is fully charged do they drain/discharge much/quickly just from not being in use (and not inserted in the drone)? Reason I ask is that I did a first charge on all 3 batteries when I purchased the kit and fully charged them. 2 days later, 2 of the 3 batteries were down to ~70% charge from no use at all and no activity from the time they were charged to when they were used. These 2 had never been put in the drone. The third battery was used on the day of charge and was at 100% charge when used.

Thanks.
I never take the props off. They store quite nicely in place.
As to the batteries, as has been written elsewhere, they will automatically discharge when not in use. I have a smart charger that lest me choose between "fully charged" mode and "stand-by" mode at 60% for all three of my batteries..

Reactions: KerrodT
I leave props on. Have the clip over guards so they don’t get bent in my backpack.
I leave one battery in drone.
Have three batteries numbered and rotate their use.
The batteries normally slowly discharge over approx 5 days.
I fully charge all batteries night before I am due to fly.
Also fully charge RC and my IPad And IPhone.
Have used same system with original Mavic Pro with no issues.
There are a few different ideas from users but find a system you feel comfortable with.

As a follow up....All DJI Manuals are a download thing....you only get a quick start guide in the box....and unfortunately many people give that and look a go out for a maiden flight. The main User Manual MUST be downloaded and read through (I always say twice), it details many, many things. Most of which gets asked on these forums, thus "Clogging" the real help of some other issues that aren't in the basic manual. "We" all try to help and we were all beginners once as well, but it does get tiresome to have to constantly daily/weekly/monthly repeat the basics that should have been read in the first place....You will see this a bit when some of us get a bit disgruntled: "Please RTFM". I'm sure you can decode that :)

Hint: Read The F^%#ing Manual

To be clear to you and a few others who have replied who seem to be a bit uptight......I did download the manual before the maiden flight, and I did read it. However I missed the couple of lines in it when it covers how the battery functions when charged, which answered my third question. After re-reading the manual I found it. I did not find any guidance in the manuals that answered my first two questions.

Thank you to those others who have provided constructive guidance and information on how they have experienced battery life and usage in their own experience that goes far beyond what is written in the manual and responses to my propellor question.

For me it's the opposite. The rate of auto discharge is too slow for me so I always manaully discharge it to two lights before storage. I never charge it to full but just two lights unless I will fly the next day.

I have come across a report saying that DJI has changed the firmware to shorten the auto-discharge time from 10 days to 5 days because of swollen battery problems so I believe the less amount of time the battery is in fully-charged state, the longer the battery life will be.

View attachment 121542

Cool light. ?

I forgot about the USB adapter block in my case.

Now I have a use for it after I go to the store and purchase a USB light,

This will be perfect to shed some light during night flight operations.

• Haha
Reactions: A.O.
I didn't receive a manual in my MA2 fly more package, its download only.
I didn't get a manual either. I just downloaded it, printed it, and put it in a binder leaving plenty of room for other notes and info I may find. Companies are finding out how much money they save by not printing manuals.

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased my first drone, MA2. I bought the Fly-More combo pack with the carry case, extra batteries etc. I have a couple of basic questions on storage when not in use:

1. Should the propellors be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave them permanently attached?
2. Should the battery be removed each time the drone is stored in the carry case and not in use, or is it OK to leave the battery inserted in the drone?
3. When a battery is fully charged do they drain/discharge much/quickly just from not being in use (and not inserted in the drone)? Reason I ask is that I did a first charge on all 3 batteries when I purchased the kit and fully charged them. 2 days later, 2 of the 3 batteries were down to ~70% charge from no use at all and no activity from the time they were charged to when they were used. These 2 had never been put in the drone. The third battery was used on the day of charge and was at 100% charge when used.

Thanks.
1. I never remove the propellers because first you don't need to and you risk more of a chance of damaging them by the frequent on/off
2.Take the battery out if you are storing it for a long time but for short term it's ok to leave it in. Also get some electrical contact cleaner spray and give the connections a shot every once in a while.
3. Yes I find the batteries won't stay fully charged when not in use but that's just the way they are. For "smart" batteries they're pretty dumb. They are also expensive at $150. I have and use 3 but I'm getting a couple more as I go through them quickly if I'm on a long shoot (I'm a commercial drone pilot)
4. Have Fun

Reactions: KerrodT
I didn't get a manual either. I just downloaded it, printed it, and put it in a binder leaving plenty of room for other notes and info I may find. Companies are finding out how much money they save by not printing manuals.
I not only downloaded and printed the manual, but also keep the digit version handy. It is easier to do a search there than in the printed manual.

Ok, so I have a follow on question regarding battery life, on the basis that it intelligently and slowly discharges itself from a full charge.

I have 3 batteries and If I was to (say) go out flying yesterday and use all 3 batteries and deplete them as per normal. When I come back home should I:

1. Recharge the batteries to full when I come back home even though they will start to discharge once reaching full charge and then use them for flying in a few day time even though they are at (say) 65%, or

2. Leave the battery "as is" in its depleted state until I have another flight planned (which could be a few days/a week away) and then do a full recharge to 100% (probably the night before flight day) before going back out to fly, or

3. As an extension of option 1 above, is there a problem with doing a full recharge, having them discharge a bit over the next few days to (say) 65% and then doing a recharge top-up to 100% before going out to fly?

I'd appreciate what the community takes as best practice for battery life management, both short and long term. I imagine, like most rechargeable batteries, these things can become a bit temperamental if not recharged properly all of the time, and how these batteries behave if left in a discharged state for a while.

Thanks.

Don’t see why all the angst about batteries After flight fully charge. If flying next day ok use them if not let them slowly discharge but then charge up if flying next day. They slowly discharge so just keep an eye on them.
Mavic Pro and Mavic Air2 no problems with batteries.

For me it's the opposite. The rate of auto discharge is too slow for me so I always manaully discharge it to two lights before storage. I never charge it to full but just two lights unless I will fly the next day.

I have come across a report saying that DJI has changed the firmware to shorten the auto-discharge time from 10 days to 5 days because of swollen battery problems so I believe the less amount of time the battery is in fully-charged state, the longer the battery life will be.

View attachment 121542
Can you explain what equipment is shown in this photo?

Can you explain what equipment is shown in this photo?
It's just a USB adaptor connected to the battery. The adaptor came with the combo kit and provides two USB ports. In the photo, one port is connected to a USB light and the other to a power bank which is being charged.

It's just a USB adaptor connected to the battery. The adaptor came with the combo kit and provides two USB ports. In the photo, one port is connected to a USB light and the other to a power bank which is being charged.
So, you are basically running down the MA2 battery until two lights are showing?

I guess I'm not understanding why. With the DJI smart batteries they will run themselves down to where they need to be.
DJI has previously reduced the battery auto-discharge time from 10 days to 5 days because of battery swelling problem. I believe the shorter the time the better.

Last edited:
DJI has previously reduced the battery auto-discharge time from 10 days to 5 days because of battery swelling problem. I believe the shorter the better.
So then again why would I need to drain them?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs