DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New MA2 pilot seeking input as I transition to professional drone pilot.

PITTMAV69

Reactions
Hello again. I recently joined this forum as a noob MA2 Pilot and I will soon take the 107 test for my commercial UAV Pilots license. Here's a little bit about why I joined. I'm eager to learn as much as possible early on. I'm a professional Lighting Designer in the Live Events and Concert Touring Industry. Due to Covid-19; my Industry has been totally decimated as we can no longer have large gatherings in a live music setting and my clients who regularly tour nationally have all suspended touring operations indefinitely.
I decided to pivot and have a go at the professional drone pilots industry. As I have been gathering my own clients in the Live Events Industry for the past 30 years; I figured I'd use the same basic formula with Drone Tech. My plan is to use the many skills I have accumulated as a Pro Lighting guy; Stage technician and Live Production Electrician; to fly drones for the purpose of Corporate; Industrial and Entertainment (wherever there can be any); Aerial Photography and video as well as site surveys; Security; Exploration; Search and Rescue and Science.
I started with an MA2 so I would have at least the minimum requirements for pro work until I can afford to add other AC's like the Mavic 2 Pro and Enterprise and Inspire 2. As such; I've been in a deep dive on everything drone related that I could find for the last month or so. I would gladly accept any and all advice; tips and tricks of the trade and networking opportunities that any of you could offer.
I'm really glad to be here and I wish you all safe flying and better days ahead. Thank you in advance.
Kyle.
P. S. If anyone here is close to the North Hills in Pittsburgh, PA. (I live in Wexford); Feel free to PM me. Maybe we can get together to fly; network and regale the days when we were young; and being a pirate seemed like the best of all professions.
Mahalo.

Reactions: TTP
I would give your post. A title more descriptive of what you want to know so you get the advise you seek more quickly and from a broader audience.

Reactions: PITTMAV69
I would give you post. A title more descriptive of what you want to know so you get the advise you seek more quickly and from a broader audience.
Done. And thanks again Thomas. Mahalo

Reactions: Thomas B
Hello again. I recently joined this forum as a noob MA2 Pilot and I will soon take the 107 test for my commercial UAV Pilots license. Here's a little bit about why I joined. I'm eager to learn as much as possible early on. I'm a professional Lighting Designer in the Live Events and Concert Touring Industry. Due to Covid-19; my Industry has been totally decimated as we can no longer have large gatherings in a live music setting and my clients who regularly tour nationally have all suspended touring operations indefinitely.
I decided to pivot and have a go at the professional drone pilots industry. As I have been gathering my own clients in the Live Events Industry for the past 30 years; I figured I'd use the same basic formula with Drone Tech. My plan is to use the many skills I have accumulated as a Pro Lighting guy; Stage technician and Live Production Electrician; to fly drones for the purpose of Corporate; Industrial and Entertainment (wherever there can be any); Aerial Photography and video as well as site surveys; Security; Exploration; Search and Rescue and Science.
I started with an MA2 so I would have at least the minimum requirements for pro work until I can afford to add other AC's like the Mavic 2 Pro and Enterprise and Inspire 2. As such; I've been in a deep dive on everything drone related that I could find for the last month or so. I would gladly accept any and all advice; tips and tricks of the trade and networking opportunities that any of you could offer.
I'm really glad to be here and I wish you all safe flying and better days ahead. Thank you in advance.
Kyle.
P. S. If anyone here is close to the North Hills in Pittsburgh, PA. (I live in Wexford); Feel free to PM me. Maybe we can get together to fly; network and regale the days when we were young; and being a pirate seemed like the best of all professions.
Mahalo.
My input is right now there are too many 107 Pilots. You’re gonna have a tough time making a living at it.
Give it a shot before you invest in any more equipment.

Reactions: Meta4
Thanks Everyone for the input. Please; keep it coming; both the good and the bad. As far as there being too many 107 pilots and the business being mainly contract; self-employed; I'll just say this. When I was starting out as a pro stagehand in Pittsburgh; my family and friends had similar things to say. When they found out that I wanted to work in the Rock-n-Roll business; I was told that there was no way I would ever succeed; that it was a "pipe dream" and that Pittsburgh couldn't possibly have anything to offer for someone wanting to work in show business. I just kept my sights set on my goal; set my mind to the task and went to work learning and "kicking down doors"; so to speak. Until Covid-19 brought our industry to a screeching halt; I have flourished in the business of Live Event Production and National Concert Touring for 30 years. I taught myself the tech behind stagecraft; Lighting Design; Show Electrics and many other aspects of Live Production. I learned from the people who were already doing the job; I listened and watched and paid attention to what not to do. I learned quite a few lessons "the hard way" but I picked myself up out of the dirt and kept moving forward. I became immersed in their world; and refused to give up. Looking back all these years later; I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.
I don't know yet how many licensed 107 pilots are operating in the Pittsburgh area and to be honest; I don't look at that as an issue. I know my own capabilities and I know how to put myself out in the mix with the best of them. I'll watch; learn and listen. I'll fly my drone and practice; a lot; every opportunity that I have. I'll learn how to be great at it in the same way that I taught myself lighting. If I can learn how to operate and program the most sophisticated lighting consoles on the market today; and there are many; I can learn how to talk to the different types of UAS's I'll need to use in the different environments where I will have to operate.
When I started; the only school available around here was the Art Institute and I can tell you from firsthand experience that the local lighting and Audio shops were harsh to anyone who said they went there. As a matter of fact; I personally witnessed many applications being tossed directly into the trash when the shop managers saw Art Institute or Full Sail listed in the education section. They; and I; learned the craft by slugging it out in the clubs and street festivals that eventually led to full scale arena and NFL stadium tours.
I'll find the work and I'll put in the time and in the meanwhile; I will welcome the feedback. All of it; good and bad. Thank you all again. I'll see you on the field; and in the air.
#NeverOutOfTheFight
-Kyle

Reactions: TTP

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR