DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Pro owner from Vancouver, Canada.

f13dfx

Reactions
Hello Everyone!

Glad that I found this forum. Got my drone about a month ago. Got my Basic Pilot’s Certificate & registered my drone in Canada & the USA (FAA). Flown it once in Calgary & another time recently in Vancouver. With new Canadian pilot & drone rules, it hasn’t been easy to find a place to fly. I do a lot of traveling in the USA & Canada. Excited with the photo & video capabilities of this drone.

If anyone in the Greater Vancouver Metro Area knows of any places to safely fly within the rules, please drop me a line! Currently using the National Research Canada Drone Tool.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello Everyone!

Glad that I found this forum. Got my drone about a month ago. Got my Basic Pilot’s Certificate & registered my drone in Canada & the USA (FAA). Flown it once in Calgary & another time recently in Vancouver. With new Canadian pilot & drone rules, it hasn’t been easy to find a place to fly. I do a lot of traveling in the USA & Canada. Excited with the photo & video capabilities of this drone.

If anyone in the Greater Vancouver Metro Area knows of any places to safely fly within the rules, please drop me a line! Currently using the National Research Canada Drone Tool.
Hello Everyone!

Hello from Prince George, BC, Canada and a newbie.
I'm having the same problem as to where I fly my new M2 Pro. It's so restricted, having to
drive out far enough to be legal.
Where in Calgary were you be able to fly? Going there this week; Should I take my drone?
Thanks for any reply.

I recently passed both the exam and flight review for my advanced certification with TC. My main motivation was more to increase the places to be able to fly without going to the middle of nowhere. I live in the Fraser Valley and even there, unless you're flying at a MAAC field the airspace is highly controlled and G airspace is limited. The new rules have made it more difficult to just take out the machine and go flying. On top of that, some of the municipalities have made it difficult too. Anywhere where there is restricted airspace, you will have to go through the hoops to try to get permission, and unless you have the advanced certification, it's probably a no-go from TC or NavCanada. In spite of TC not yet charging that irresponsible operator who flew over the Raptors celebration in Toronto, I do believe that they are determined will enforce the rules. The fines are pretty steep. If you live anywhere in Vancouver, it is all restricted airspace and if you keep flying there, one of these days some do-gooder q citizen will report your activity. In my experience and impressions, with not statistically sound, is that the general public unfortunately has a very negative view of RPAS systems and I don't see the manufactures or their Associations doing any marketing to change that perspective. I can give you dozens of anecdotal accounts from friends who have been challenged, accosted, threatened...simply for flying their machines and not bothering anyone.

Well said! A while back I asked to see if I could get permission to fly in the MAAC airfield at Deer Lake & here is the response I got:

“Sorry to take so long to respond to your question but I just now noticed your email in my spam folder.
To answer your question, no we do not allow drone flying. Burnaby Parks and Recreation do not allow drones/multirotor craft in any city park.

Ian Munroe
Burnaby Lake Flyers”

Yes, some MAAC fields do not allow quadcopters to be flown at their fields as a matter of policy. This is not unusual if the field is situated in a Park, like the club you mentioned that is governed by the bylaws of the municipality. Policies can also be placed by clubs due to liability concerns; for example Helicopters are not allowed at Renegade flyers in Surrey. However, quadcopters can be flown. Quadcopters are also allowed at the Propnuts MAAC field in Abbotsford. At both fields, quadcopters are allowed to fly by MAAC members in good standing and with experience. The flights are just integrated so that they don't impact the fixed wing aircraft and also comply with the MAAC safety rules. I am a member of both the above mentioned clubs so I am talking about first hand information. You can look up www.renegadeflyers.club if you want to have a look at the field. It's a great place to test out and get familiar with your machine....but you do have to be a MAAC member in good standing, and a member of the club as well.

In my post above, any attempt to fly in restricted airspace requires an SFOC which is what I was talking about going through hoops, but you still need special permission from NavCanada to fly in Controlled airspace which of course covers pretty much all of Vancouver and surroundings and the same can be said for any major center. Just look at the controlled airspace around Toronto!

Reactions: f13dfx
Welcome to the forum :)

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new M2P, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S