DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Pro user -- help me learn from my crash

MT_Brian

Reactions
Hello --

I'm a new Mavic 2 Pro user (and new drone operator in general). I have about 10 flights under my belt, and have been slowly learning my way around. Lots of great info here -- so before anything else, thank you to all that contribute and help in these forums.

Today I crashed my M2P into a tree, just 20 seconds after takeoff. I had just used the auto-takeoff feature, taking off with the intention of going straight up a clearing between trees. I received obstacle avoidance warnings, had plenty of satellites connected (12-13), had clear line of sight with my drone and where I intended to go. I hit the right thumb stick to move the drone just a bit to my right for a clearer pathway up. It jumped too far (over a meter), crashed into a huge tree trunk and came down hard. All 4 propellors were trashed, but all else looks ok. I didn't have spare propellors with me, so didn't have opportunity to try flying again.

My question is this -- why didn't the obstacle avoidance stop me from flying into a huge obstacle?

Looking over my flight log raises more questions -- why did the altitude drop to negative numbers before crashing?

Flight logs are here: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm here to learn, and want to become a safe and knowledgable pilot. Is there anything else I can learn from my flight logs?

Respectfully,

--Brian

Hello --

I'm a new Mavic 2 Pro user (and new drone operator in general). I have about 10 flights under my belt, and have been slowly learning my way around. Lots of great info here -- so before anything else, thank you to all that contribute and help in these forums.

Today I crashed my M2P into a tree, just 20 seconds after takeoff. I had just used the auto-takeoff feature, taking off with the intention of going straight up a clearing between trees. I received obstacle avoidance warnings, had plenty of satellites connected (12-13), had clear line of sight with my drone and where I intended to go. I hit the right thumb stick to move the drone just a bit to my right for a clearer pathway up. It jumped too far (over a meter), crashed into a huge tree trunk and came down hard. All 4 propellors were trashed, but all else looks ok. I didn't have spare propellors with me, so didn't have opportunity to try flying again.

My question is this -- why didn't the obstacle avoidance stop me from flying into a huge obstacle?

Looking over my flight log raises more questions -- why did the altitude drop to negative numbers before crashing?

Flight logs are here: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm here to learn, and want to become a safe and knowledgable pilot. Is there anything else I can learn from my flight logs?

Respectfully,

--Brian

Side obstacle avoidance is not turned on by default at power up. That was the problem. You have to choose either beginner mode or tripod mode to have side obstacle protection. Or even better, use props guards.

Absolutely gutted for you regarding your crash. It’s a bit late now but I would highly recommend you start flying in “beginnings mode” until you feel confident with flying. Get some air time 1st then turn it off.

Also I would definitely fly in a open space with no obstacles, trees/posts etc getting in the way, never rely on the sensors to help out, don’t get me wrong they’re good but not perfect.

I’m sure someone with more knowledge will be able to answer your flight log question out. @sar104 is the man for that.

On another note, welcome to the forum @MT_Brian

Side obstacle avoidance is not turned on by default at power up. That was the problem. You have to choose either beginner mode or tripod mode to have side obstacle protection. Or even better, use props guards.

Thank you @Thunderdrones. I tried turning on Tripod mode in the field, but it wouldn't turn on just with the switch. Upon returning home I learned I need to also enable "multiple flight modes" in the app. Got that now. And yes, I also just ordered a set of propellor guards.

I didn't realize side avoidance isn't turned on in P mode. It just says "obstacle avoidance is enabled" so I assumed that meant all sensors. Lesson learned!

And thanks @Porky . I thought I could handle the simple flight I had in mind tonight after a handful of very successful flights last week. Guess I was wrong! I'll definitely stick with Beginner and/or Tripod mode more, particularly near obstacles.

If moving a metre or so too far to one side meant it hit a tree you were in too confined a space especially when not used to making precise movements.
A common cause of unfortunate early days crashes is trying things out close by the house, in a small garden or driveway, or even indoors. :eek:

Thank you @Thunderdrones. I tried turning on Tripod mode in the field, but it wouldn't turn on just with the switch. Upon returning home I learned I need to also enable "multiple flight modes" in the app. Got that now. And yes, I also just ordered a set of propellor guards.

I didn't realize side avoidance isn't turned on in P mode. It just says "obstacle avoidance is enabled" so I assumed that meant all sensors. Lesson learned!

And thanks @Porky . I thought I could handle the simple flight I had in mind tonight after a handful of very successful flights last week. Guess I was wrong! I'll definitely stick with Beginner and/or Tripod mode more, particularly near obstacles.

Thats one thing I dont like about the Mavic 2. I think all obstacle avoidance should be turned on at startup automatically, not just some, in Pmode. I liken it to a car with traction control, antilock brakes, and airbags. All of those are enabled as soon as you turn the key.

Reactions: Simmo
Hey Brian, sorry for your loss Buddy...
I wont post the graphs up, but your stick inputs were not gentle, persuasive inputs, but full stick inputs. Albeit quick inputs.
Once you set the drone in motion, even with full gps health, it doesn't stop on a dime.
Sorry to say mate, a little more stick time in a bigger space will most definately improve things for you!
Good Luck!!

Just to add.. There is an indicator icon on the DJI Go screen that shows the state of the object avoidance sensors. (See image below). Green means the sensors are active, red means they aren't ... In the attached image, forward and aft object avoidance is active, but side object avoidance isn't.obj-avoid.jpg

Reactions: ff22 and kjcbid54
I don't know if this was your case but my MP1 and Spark will be VERY jumpy when in sport mode.

Hey Brian, sorry for your loss Buddy...
I wont post the graphs up, but your stick inputs were not gentle, persuasive inputs, but full stick inputs. Albeit quick inputs.
Once you set the drone in motion, even with full gps health, it doesn't stop on a dime.
Sorry to say mate, a little more stick time in a bigger space will most definately improve things for you!
Good Luck!!

Yep, won't deny operator error! And a good self-check. More open-air flying is in my immediate future.

Question -- where is this information in these files (my inputs)? I've poked around a bit but don't see where that info is.

Thanks @Simmo !

Reactions: Simmo
Just to add.. There is an indicator icon on the DJI Go screen that shows the state of the object avoidance sensors. (See image below). Green means the sensors are active, red means they aren't ... In the attached image, forward and aft object avoidance is active, but side object avoidance isn't.View attachment 73237

Got it -- thanks @jwt873 ! There is SO MUCH on that screen....slowly digesting what it is all telling me and what to keep track of on-the-fly while I'm in the air.

In the end, I'm super grateful that this happened basically right above me and over soft ground to pad the fall. The outcome could have been much worse, particularly if the drone was further away (even if still in VLOS).

Which brings up a question -- if a drone goes down, or has to be set down away from the operator, what is the best way to find it? Can a GPS coordinate be extracted from the app in the field?

I recommend you have at least a 30 to 40 foot diameter of clear air space to take off and land with. Sure, the GPS is supposed to be +/- 10 feet, but my experience with real life is it is many time closer to 20 feet with 12-14 sats. I like have a decent buffer.

If you must take off in tighter areas, I recommend taking off and switching to tripod mode once in the air. The mode is much more easy on not jumping out on you, plus you have all sensors in play. When a landing is made on tight areas, I do not use auto landing, and in it place use tripod with the camera snapped to a direct down. Between the camera and VLOS, you can get the bird down in some tight spaces, but as I first said, much less stress to just make sure you have room for a more relaxed take off and landing.

Just to add.. There is an indicator icon on the DJI Go screen that shows the state of the object avoidance sensors. (See image below). Green means the sensors are active, red means they aren't ... In the attached image, forward and aft object avoidance is active, but side object avoidance isn't.View attachment 73237

Sirius.png

I thought that meant it had XM radio. Im Sirius.

Last edited:
Yep, won't deny operator error! And a good self-check. More open-air flying is in my immediate future.

Question -- where is this information in these files (my inputs)? I've poked around a bit but don't see where that info is.

Thanks @Simmo !
You need to download the .TXT file from Phantomhelp and open the file in CSView.
You can then select a wealth of information.
Here I've just shown the stick inputs, I've left out the AC pitch and roll etc as it makes the graph a little confusing.
But the AC corresponded correctly to your inputs.Untitled.jpg

Not in all cars. Some cars have varying levels of traction control/abs systems, and some of these are off by default, until activated.

Thats one thing I dont like about the Mavic 2. I think all obstacle avoidance should be turned on at startup automatically, not just some, in Pmode. I liken it to a car with traction control, antilock brakes, and airbags. All of those are enabled as soon as you turn the key.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom