DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Pro user - Question about the gimbal

Dom84

Reactions
Hello,

Today I received my first Mavic and I noticed, that the Gimbal, when the drone is not powered on, doesn't want to stay, where I move it with my hands, but it always turns to right. Ist this normal? Is the gimbal not balanced and should stay, where you move it? Otherwise the drone is on a completly flat surface.
See the video here: CLICK

Another question: is the clicking heard at 0:11 normal?

Thanks,
Dom

Two things I would check first if issue persists with power:

1) Initiate a manual re-calibration of the gimbal (in the menu)

2) Make sure you haven't accidentally swiped your finger across the controller screen, as that will move the gimbal side to side as shown in your video, even when the drone is oriented forward. Alternatively you can see if the drone will allow that input to re-center the gimbal.

Once powered on it looks completely normal to me though.

Last edited:

Why would this be necessary?
Two things I would check first if issue persists with power:

2) Make sure you haven't accidentally swiped your finger across the controller screen, as that will move the gimbal side to side as shown in your video, even when the drone is oriented forward. Alternatively you can see if the drone will allow that input to re-center the gimbal.

Once powered on it looks completely normal to me though.

Really, calibrating the gimbal has nothing to do with the OPs question and wont help anything.

Gimbals are not balanced with the power off. Its not necessary.

As stated above. If the gimbal does its startup routine when you power on the drone, and moves afterward as you direct it to do then it’s fine.

Reactions: Former Member
Why would this be necessary?

Really, calibrating the gimbal has nothing to do with the OPs question and wont help anything.

Gimbals are not balanced with the power off. Its not necessary.

Note that I said "if the issue persists with power". However, as I also said, it looked normal to me after a power-up so he is probably fine.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi,

Thanks for your replies, but If I watch other users mavics on youtube, the gimbal doesn't turn to the right when the drone is powered off.

No they didn't? But a quality gimbal should be well balanced or am I wrong. And as I don't see, that all Mavic 2 Pro gimbals act like mine, I'm asking ...

If the gimbal was set to be perfectly balanced, and your table is slightly angled downward, thats where the gimbal will point.

Since it seems to be bothering you, I would get a 3' long bubble level. Take measurements of the entire table that your drone is sitting on. See which way the bubble floats. Then put the drone on a different surface,. Repeat the process. Then take it to a third table and try it. See if the gimbal swings to the left or right. If you are not convinced of the results, repeat the process as many times as you can until you have come to a conclusion, or you have simply run out of tables.

Please post your results here.

This one only cost $99 and then maybe you will be satisfied.

3' level.JPG

Reactions: Thomas B
I don't need to use the spirit level, because even if I turn the drone on the side, the gimbal rotates to the opposite direction then it should.
Video here: CLICK

I just looked at 5 Mavic 2 Pros that are here for repair. With power off, 3 of the gimbals turned right. 2 turned left.

I really think that if it bother s you, you should return it and get a different one.

By the way, have you flown it yet?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB