DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 3 batteries

EagleHead

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Does the first charge of new battery need to be done in the aircraft? I can I simply put them on the charge brick?

The rule of thumb is to charge new batteries in the drone first. I haven't heard any problems with the Mavic 3 batteries but Air 2 and Mini 2 batteries have had problems that were solved by charging in aircraft.

Reactions: EagleHead
Does the first charge of new battery need to be done in the aircraft? I can I simply put them on the charge brick?
I Had no issues with charging the batteries for the first time in the charging brick. Just be sure you plug in the dedicated charging cable from the charger. Many folks made a mistake by trying to charge the batteries using the supplied USB-C cable plugged into the charger. That is used for the controller only.
As Saladshooter mentioned, the Air2 was the only drone that had the issue with first time battery charging problem.
No issues with the M3 batteries.
You will need to update the batteries in the drone one at a time when updates are required for them.

I have never heard of charging in the aircraft. All my Phantom 4's, from standard to Pro Plus, Mavic 1 and 2 Pro and now my Air 2S is not capable of charging in the aircraft.
I misstated this badly.... I meant, that they should be charged using the original charger without the multi battery charger attached. Mavic 3 and Mini 2 can be charged with the battery inside.

Reactions: Yaros
Iwant to thank everyone for responding here..

I have a followup question.

Is it safe...good practice, to leave a battery in the drone between flights...not long term...or should batteries always be stored otherwise ?

I always leave batt #1 in the drone. Never seen it deteriorate any faster as per its cycle curve from airdata.

Iwant to thank everyone for responding here..

I have a followup question.

Is it safe...good practice, to leave a battery in the drone between flights...not long term...or should batteries always be stored otherwise ?
Perhaps I am overly paranoid, but I store my drone batteries in an ammo box. Fires are rare, but not unheard of.

How many lipo fires are there? In 20 years of using such batteries for a plethora of activities, I've never had any fire nor heard of anyone around me having such fires unless they punctured it on purpose in order to film it

How many lipo fires are there? In 20 years of using such batteries for a plethora of activities, I've never had any fire nor heard of anyone around me having such fires unless they punctured it on purpose in order to
How many lipo fires are there? In 20 years of using such batteries for a plethora of activities, I've never had any fire nor heard of anyone around me having such fires unless they punctured it on purpose in order to film it
I will take proper care. It can happen to me. 😊

I Had no issues with charging the batteries for the first time in the charging brick. Just be sure you plug in the dedicated charging cable from the charger. Many folks made a mistake by trying to charge the batteries using the supplied USB-C cable plugged into the charger. That is used for the controller only.
As Saladshooter mentioned, the Air2 was the only drone that had the issue with first time battery charging problem.
No issues with the M3 batteries.
You will need to update the batteries in the drone one at a time when updates are required for them.
The following will be important: "need to update the batteries in the drone one at a time when updates are required for them."

I know of someone who happened to get out of bed to check something else and noticed one of his batteries had caught fire at 1am. Lucky timing.

Some time ago, I amused myself by looking at Youtube videos using the search term "Drone crashes". One of the clips showed a drone crashing to dry grass, which caught fire rather quick. Of course, when you fly a drone, you must have a battery in the drone. I am only addressing your words "punctured on purpose".

Wow. So much feedback to the effect. I guess lipos are not so sturdy as they look like

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smorse