DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 3 camera? never mind answered in another thread

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Ignore this. I found a thread that answered my question but don't see how to delete this thread. Turns out I must have a refurb as it is the old design. My question was: I would have sworn I read that the Mav3 had an updated camera with the look of the lens more elliptical but I can't find any confirmation of that or pictures of the new design. I just had my Mav3 repaired and they returned a different aircraft. I am trying to determine if it may be a new aircraft or a refurb and thought if the camera appeared different I would know it's new. The lens itself does not look elliptical and it does look exactly like the images on DJI's website but this darn "elliptical" thing has me puzzled. I'm not overly concerned if it is a refurb, just very curious about the situation. Can anyone confirm the newer Mav3's have a redesigned camera appearance and provide a link to what the new model looks like vs the old? Or perhaps inform me that I am remembering wrong?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001

Thanks. I caught that. Wish I had been given a new Mav3. Oh well.

Thanks. I caught that. Wish I had been given a new Mav3. Oh well.
What makes you think it isn't new? So called refurbs are almost always brand new aircraft, too, especially with a newly manufactured drone like the M3. They just lack the retail packaging and accessories.

Has anyone actually confirmed that the new lens shape on a Mavic 3 is oval and what the difference is in quality and why they would change it to an oval lens? An oval lens on a camera is very unusual. All I have seen are grainy photos of the lens and bad bogus photo comparisons between the old and new.

Has anyone actually confirmed that the new lens shape on a Mavic 3 is oval and what the difference is in quality and why they would change it to an oval lens? An oval lens on a camera is very unusual. All I have seen are grainy photos of the lens and bad bogus photo comparisons between the old and new.

What I got from the article I read was that their was a "new" version being made with an oval lens that was marginally better. Dunno if that's the case but assumed if that were true then any new cams would come with an oval lens and if I received a round lens it would be a refurb. Anyone received a newly purchased M3 with a round lens?

What I got from the article I read was that their was a "new" version being made with an oval lens that was marginally better. Dunno if that's the case but assumed if that were true then any new cams would come with an oval lens and if I received a round lens it would be a refurb. Anyone received a newly purchased M3 with a round lens?
This early in the lifecycle of the M3, so called Refurbs are still brand new units manufactured at the same time as the retail units, just without any retail packaging and accessories. Unless all the refurb units of the original round design have already been exhausted (highly unlikely), your refurb would be with a round lens, and still brand new. Plenty of round lensed new units still for sale in the distribution channel. Just can't guarantee which type you will receive until you open the box, or know the manufacturing date and the factory of production from the outside of the box, and also know which factory made which, and when, which is still unknown.

Round Mavic 3 162mm Lens

Attachments

• DJI_0136.jpg
    DJI_0136.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 8
Round Mavic 3 162mm Lens
It is most likely the housing is oval, not the lens itself. That would be my guess but I have no seen one up close. An oval lens, literally, would be odd indeed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair