DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Has seem changing on the 7x tele lens of mavic 3 recently !!

No DJI documentation. Only a test by Osita among his more technical friends who compared them for him. The conclusion was that the original round lens is marginally better, to an unnoticeable degree, but the FOV is slightly wider than on the elliptical lens. Conclusion: no difference, unless you want the mildly larger FOV.

Thanks. I agree that there's probably no significant difference between the two versions. But that single undocumented test wasn't very persuasive. There was only one drone of each type evaluated. Just one data point.

Thanks. I agree that there's probably no significant difference between the two versions. But that single undocumented test wasn't very persuasive. There was only one drone of each type evaluated. Just one data point.
Indeed. The conclusion, however, should be reassuring to anyone worried that either version is subpar. Individual variations within each lens will exist, as with all lenses, but between the two shapes, there's not much concern. A good lens of either shape is all you need!

Reactions: MS Coast
Here is a statement from a VERY reliable source with over 30 years as a pro photographer.

The round is sharp. The oval is sharper. But only marginally. But it's not really a pro lens no matter which version. W/o more control it's a "push here dummy" lens.

With the January update, DJI fixed the softness of the Tele lens. So even the round is sharp enough for what it's used for.

Here is a statement from a VERY reliable source with over 30 years as a pro photographer.

The round is sharp. The oval is sharper. But only marginally. But it's not really a pro lens no matter which version. W/o more control it's a "push here dummy" lens.

With the January update, DJI fixed the softness of the Tele lens. So even the round is sharp enough for what it's used for.
Who is your reliable source, and upon what did they base their statement?

As he posted in the DJI commercial group, I believe he won't mind sharing. Vic Moss!
He has both lenses and does very thorough testing.

As he posted in the DJI commercial group, I believe he won't mind sharing. Vic Moss!
He has both lenses and does very thorough testing.
Got a link to share? The problem with any such analysis is the great variability between any two identical lenses, due to still being within acceptable manufacturing tolerances. We've all seen it in professional lenses over the years. Any given lens can be better or worse than another identical copy of the lens. Comparing one random round lens to one random oval lens does not necessarily extend to all round and all oval lenses. However, since no real conclusion is being drawn, both are essentially equivalent. That's really all that matters.

Reactions: UAVquadman
Got a link to share? The problem with any such analysis is the great variability between any two identical lenses, due to still being within acceptable manufacturing tolerances. We've all seen it in professional lenses over the years. Any given lens can be better or worse than another identical copy of the lens. Comparing one random round lens to one random oval lens does not necessarily extend to all round and all oval lenses. However, since no real conclusion is being drawn, both are essentially equivalent. That's really all that matter
it's a Zoom lens and there is No variability...

Here is a test he did of the telephoto on March 1st

Thanks for video link. However, I was hoping for a link to Vic's post that you were originally referring to, in the DJI commercial group, where he compared the two different types of the 7x telephoto type lenses: the round and the oval versions. Got a link to that?

Huh? It's not a zoom lens. It's a telephoto lens. All manufacturers' lenses have minor variabilities within their tolerance standards. Anything variability outside of those tolerance standards is considered defective.
it was a joke! LOL.... so many say this, etc... but if you call them out on it the post will be deleted for being rude! LOL

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for video link. However, I was hoping for a link to Vic's post that you were originally referring to, in the DJI commercial group, where he compared the two different types of the 7x telephoto type lenses: the round and the oval versions. Got a link to that?
it's top-secret information! I love my round version, would you like to see more sample photos?

I am sorry, I mentioned the wrong group. It is actually a thread in MavicPilots.com

This thread has a long discussion on the subject and Vic's comments are on page 5.

it was a joke! LOL.... so many say this, etc... but if you call them out on it the post will be deleted for being rude! LOL
Sorry. My bad. I missed the helpful " 🤣 " emoji, which would have made the humor more obvious. Now I get the irony in the statements!

it's top-secret information! I love my round version, would you like to see more sample photos?
Thanks, but I have plenty of my own, from my own round version. It's spectacular for a drone camera in this price range, especially when paired with a 4/3 sensor!

I am sorry, I mentioned the wrong group. It is actually a thread in MavicPilots.com

This thread has a long discussion on the subject and Vic's comments are on page 5.
Having participated in that thread and having just reread all of Vic's comments, Vic only tested a single copy of each lens, and only found marginal differences, which are also typical of identical lenses that are within manufacturing tolerances. Nothing definitive can be concluded from his testing, other than about the single copies he compared, which cannot realistically be extrapolated to all copies of each lens type. Jury is still out. For now, we only know the round lens has a slightly larger field of view, but the sharpness question is unresolved (pun intended). Vic's sharpness results are also at odds with OsitaLV's results. Neither found a significantly measurable difference, but OsitaLV found the round slightly sharper, while Vic found the oval slightly sharper. Both the round and the oval lenses are sharp enough that they still can render a much sharper stitched 7x composite image than the frame of the 4/3 sensor can! Therein lies their power, much like the automated HiRes stitches of the M30.

Reactions: UAVquadman
Having participated in that thread and having just reread all of Vic's comments, Vic only tested a single copy of each lens, and only found marginal differences, which are also typical of identical lenses that are within manufacturing tolerances. Nothing definitive can be concluded from his testing, other than about the single copies he compared, which cannot realistically be extrapolated to all copies of each lens type. Jury is still out. For now, we only know the round lens has a slightly larger field of view, but the sharpness question is unresolved (pun intended). Vic's sharpness results are also at odds with OsitaLV's results. Neither found a significantly measurable difference, but OsitaLV found the round slightly sharper, while Vic found the oval slightly sharper. Both the round and the oval lenses are sharp enough that they still can render a much sharper stitched 7x composite image than the frame of the 4/3 sensor can! Therein lies their power, much like the automated HiRes stitches of the M30.
now the truth comes out... see what I mean about us humans.... we don't always tell the whole story like you just have! well done! lol...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom