DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 3 Pro arrived. Not a great start.

Just tried it. It seems totally automated.

Results are extraordinary. Sadly it highlights the two major lens flaws by highlighting the softness.

If this alone was to inform my decision, the drone is going back.

I have scheduled Friday (my day off) to make sure this is not user error.

The DJI representative said something telling when he was asking if I were keeping the drone.
He said that this softness was a common problem with the Mavic 3 pros. He blamed light diffraction, and standard known imperfections with the lens cover.
His suggestion was to use the nd filters as this would most likely eliminate the problem.

That is what I have designated Friday for.

Never thought I would end devoting this much time to keeping a drone I should already have returned.

The DJI representative said something telling when he was asking if I were keeping the drone.
He said that this softness was a common problem with the Mavic 3 pros. He blamed light diffraction, and standard known imperfections with the lens cover.
DJI support people aren't a source of reliable technical information.
His suggestion was to use the nd filters as this would most likely eliminate the problem.
That proves that particular representative has no idea at all about the topic.

DJI support people aren't a source of reliable technical information.

That proves that particular representative has no idea at all about the topic.
To be so Cavalier with comments, such as to make their own company liable. It does beg the question. Either the representative is ill informed, or arrogant.

To be so Cavalier with comments, such as to make their own company liable. It does beg the question. Either the representative is ill informed, or arrogant.
He's just uninformed.
This has been observed many, many times.
They just work from a script, have no technical knowledge and sometimes you'll run into one who will make things up when they have no relevant script.
You cannot rely on DJI support people for any technical information.

Reactions: MS Coast
He's just uninformed.
This has been observed many, many times.
They just work from a script, have no technical knowledge and sometimes you'll run into one who will make things up when they have no relevant script.
You cannot rely on DJI support people for any technical information.
The oddest thing is, I never asked for any technical information. He rang me to see whether or not, I was satisfied with the new drone. He claimed that he was a photographer himself, and that he understood my problems.
It did seem like, he was just trying to make conversation, as possibly I was his only call of the day and he was bored and felt like he needed to say something to try and locate me wanting to return the drone.
Nevertheless, I did not account for any of his technical knowledge, and certainly gave it very little regard.
Seem like a nice guy though.

The oddest thing is, I never asked for any technical information. He rang me to see whether or not, I was satisfied with the new drone. He claimed that he was a photographer himself, and that he understood my problems.
It did seem like, he was just trying to make conversation, as possibly I was his only call of the day and he was bored and felt like he needed to say something to try and locate me wanting to return the drone.
Nevertheless, I did not account for any of his technical knowledge, and certainly gave it very little regard.He seem like a nice guy though.
FWIW.... While we all wait for the final call on this drone by OP I played a bit more with the DxO PureRaw and wanted to share o few of my observations. To say that I am impressed with this piece of software is an understatement. Last night I took a few shots with the 7x camera well after sunset at ISO1600. What came out on the other end after processing the DNG in the PureRaw was nothing short of astonishing. I could not stop marveling over the IQ. Noise completely gone and all fine details preserved and even enhanced. I am now re-assessing as to what is actually possible to do with this drone and under what light I could confidently shoot and get decent results. I did not know this level of IQ and detail was even possible with the 7x camera let alone at ISO1600! This software is a keeper 😀

Last edited:
FWIW.... While we all wait for the final call on this drone by OP I played a bit more with the DxO PureRaw and wanted to share o few of my observations. To say that I am impressed with this piece of software is an understatement. Last night I took a few shots with the 7x camera well after sunset at ISO1600. What came out on the other end after processing the DNG in the PureRaw was nothing short of astonishing. I could not stop marveling over the IQ. Noise completely gone and all fine details preserved and even enhanced. I am now re-assessing as to what is actually possible to do with this drone and under what light I could confidently shoot and get decent results. I did not know this level of IQ and detail was even possible with the 7x camera let alone at ISO1600! This software is a keeper 😀
I have been using DXO Photo Lab in all its iterations for several years now and I am entirely pleased with with the outcomes. I have had my M3Pro for a short time and the first time out I was just doing a control and flight check. Of course I shot a few photos. I always shoot raw/.jpg. I was stunned by the quality of the results and all I did was push the photo button without any thought or plan. (Photo Lab contains the equivalent of Pure Raw.)

Previously I was pleased with the results obtained with my Air 2s but the M3Pro eclipses it substantially, IMO.

I think that some observers may look at the results of processing with the DXO product as over sharpened...but that can be adjusted.

This time I have done a video of my issue. To me, my problem is quite obvious.
I wish I had started with this.

There is a short version and long version.

The video is shot in f2.8. 100 iso auto d-log. Automatic and Manual focussing.
The long version shows what I did as I included the screen recording of the settings.
Which includes shots taken at f5.6 with a decent shutter speed at 100iso.
All this means at f5.6 the distortion on the left side is less, but not gone.
The short version illustrates and accentuates the issue, which I feel, is not acceptable.

Short version

Long Version

Short version processing at the moment. The long one is going to take 40 minutes to upload.

It's like watching the Matrix quadriliogy.
The first one is awesome.
Second one is pretty good
Third one is awful
Fourth one you wish you hadn't seen, and when you watch it again you remember why you forgot watching it the first time. Like I did last night.

If in any doubt, the drone is being returned!
Just now wondering how much more time I need to devote to returning drones from DJI.

Last edited:
Below is a link to the Autel Evo 2 Pro v3 at f2.8 auto.
Bear in mind I was testing why the panning was halting due to an OA issue and not trying to win an Oscar for cinematography.

At the end of the video was the Mini 3 pro, which is better than the Mavic 3 pro an holds it's own with the Autel Evo.

NOTE:- This is NOT (AND IN NO WAY) trying to compare the Autel Evo 2 Pro with the Mini 3 pro. It's just an illustration the Mavic 3 Pro I have, has lens issue and is going to be returned as neither the Mini 3 pro or Autel have the same issue wide open, effectively in Auto settings.

Last edited:
So the return is still pending.
DJI accepted the return and said that they were going to send out a shipping label.
Nothing as yet. so yesterday I contacted them to ask for a shipping label.
Their response was an apology and they would get that sorted immediately.

Still waiting.

Seems like the Christmas period is causing havoc with the return. I'll wait a week and if nothing happens I'll just request a refund.

OK. Received the replacement.

I had a small chance to test the drone the day it arrive last week, before the storm winds and Christmas kicked in.
Initially the images seemed ok, for the 10 minutes I had to check the shots and video from the drone, but really needed a little more time to test.

Managed to get out this morning as the winds had died down and had an opportunity to go to Ashridge Management College.

f2.8 sharp as expectations. Acceptable slight softening at the edges. f.3.2 lovely up to f7. sweet spot f5.6. This is what I hoped to have the first time around and am glad I only had to wait for the third try to get a winner.

DJI's customer service, has been exceptional.

Only slight wrinkle. The returned drone, according to customer services, has never been received.
Not sure why they are telling me this as UPSare to blame there, but I am glad I have a drone which is a keeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Point Zero
OK. Received the replacement.

I had a small chance to test the drone the day it arrive last week, before the storm winds and Christmas kicked in.
Initially the images seemed ok, for the 10 minutes I had to check the shots and video from the drone, but really needed a little more time to test.

Managed to get out this morning as the winds had died down and had an opportunity to go to Ashridge Management College.

f2.8 sharp as expectations. Acceptable slight softening at the edges. f.3.2 lovely up to f7. sweet spot f5.6. This is what I hoped to have the first time around and am glad I only had to wait for the third try to get a winner.

DJI's customer service, has been exceptional.

Only slight wrinkle. The returned drone, according to customer services, has never been received.
Not sure why they are telling me this as UPSare to blame there, but I am glad I have a drone which is a keeper.
Congrats!
I told you, the good ones do exist! Unfortunatelly they are not that common, especially when you subject the photos to very tight scrutiny.
Treat this one as gold, have fun and enjoy everything this drone has to offer.

Hi and interesting thread - Im new here ( from Scotland and look forward to learning here! ) having a few months back now brought my first drone (Mini 4 pro) to complement my work as a photographer... I also had a not ideal start with a bump on one of my first flights due to a small drop ( 8ft) unexpected RTH on low battery - luckily at first it seemed no damage and drone ok and decided to carry on with it after some initial flights, but with not much to compare it to - its been confusing - I have very close tested images and although not expecting lens to be sharp at corners / edges - i have consistently found it very soft on right quarter of 16:9 frame and usually the left side softer and blurry in both stills and video. I have also had issues with compass - losing navigation accuracy mid flight - possibly due to magnetic interference from nearby structures i guess... but is this normal? having tested closely have decided to use my Refresh and send in for replacement, as particularly image quality is unreliable, and hope a replacement will be better. It is a lovely little drone, and look forward to getting on with things better. Ive generally been focusing using autofocus on fairly distant objects - and have begun to think it is better to tap on screen in centre rather than towards one side of screen. I wonder if people think putting focus into MF and infinity is a better approach or using autofocus button on right top of RC2 or perhaps its best to try multiple approaches...

Last edited:
I have also had issues with compass - losing navigation accuracy mid flight - possibly due to magnetic interference from nearby structures i guess... but is this normal?
No, it's not normal and for any external object to cause magnetic interference in flight, it would have to be very close - within a couple of feet.
Ive generally been focusing using autofocus on fairly distant objects - and have begun to think it is better to tap on screen in centre rather than towards one side of screen. I wonder if people think putting focus into MF and infinity is a better approach or using autofocus button on right top of RC2 or perhaps its best to try multiple approaches...
The lens on your camera has so much depth of field, that small changes to actual focus shouldn't make much difference.
I've used autofocus on DJI drones for years without ever having focus issues.

Reactions: lookupbrightnow
No, it's not normal and for any external object to cause magnetic interference in flight, it would have to be very close - within a couple of feet.

The lens on your camera has so much depth of field, that small changes to actual focus shouldn't make much difference.
I've used autofocus on DJI drones for years without ever having focus issues.
MF is 100% reliable, AF is not. For distant subjects, providing you set the bar correctly on the focusing scale you will get consistently sharp pictures. If you shoot closer and contrasty subjects I would recommend AF. On my M3P each camera needs different setting in MF to achieve optimal infinity focus. Your's might need as well. Do your homework if you want to use MF to avoid blurry images. Do not ask me how I know😟

Last edited:
In over 8 years of shooting with DJI, I've never had autofocus let me down.
It might be thanks to the subjects you shoot. I had situations when AF did let me down. Therefore I've addopted routine to take at least 2 to 3 shots in quick succession when using AF thus increasing the probability of getting at least one in perfect focus. In MF when the camera lens is set to infinity for distant subjects there is no chance of AF misfiring. I know that each and every shot will be 100% sharp.
I agree that the AF on M3P, especially with the 3x and 7x cameras when shooting closer well defined subjects works pretty well. I as you use AF in those situations. Otherwise MF is my preferred way of shooting and it has never let me down 😉

Last edited:
Probably a slightly skewed test as the shutter speed was slow at 1/15th.

That said, a few tests with the Autel V3 I returned 4 days ago, shows fantastic sharpness across the full frame at f5.6, 1/15th at iso 100. Same lighting conditions.

This is a very familiar story when I originally Bought a series of 4 Mavic 2 Pros and every one had focussing issues. So I bought an Autel Evo 2 Pro V1.

But the Mavic 3 Pro flies so well which the Autel V3 didn't because of an Obstacle Avoidance issue and inability to recalibrate that without sending it back.
But the Evo 2 Pro V3 is well ahead of the Mavic 3 Pro in terms of sharpness across the frame, minimal Jpg artifacting, and lack of grain even up to iso 800.

The Mavic 3 pro aperture test.
f2.8 - Horribly soft left hand side, much worse top left. Bottom right also soft. Top right, same focus as centre, sharp. ISO 100 no visible grain.

f3.2 - Sharpness slightly better, but still Soft left hand side, worse top left. Bottom Right also soft. Top right, same focus as centre, sharp. ISO 100 no visible grain.

f3.4 - Sharpness slightly better, but Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right still out of focus. ISO 100 no visible grain.

f4 - Sharpness slightly better, but Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right look slightly distorted. ISO 190 no visible grain - smooth.

f4.5 - Sharpness much better, but slight Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right. ISO 240 no visible grain.

f5 - Sharpness much better, but slight Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right. ISO 300 so visible grain introduced.

f5.6 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. ISO 360 so more visible grain.

f6.3 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. ISO 470 so more visible grain.

f7.1 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. Diffraction starting to rob the image of sharpness and ISO 490 so visible grain introduced.

f8.0 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. Diffraction starting to rob the image of sharpness and ISO 550 so more visible grain introduced.

To test the sharpness and defocussing, I ramped up the sharpening in the images as to sharpen sharp areas and anger the out of focus areas.

Even though files shot in raw, jpg artifacting is evident on all photos once converted.

Video Files have top left extreme defocus, more evident when panning as the areas which are blurred become sharp when panning brings the corner area into the centre.

The x3 Lens is sharp across the frame and the x7 needs some sharpening to bring into line but again sharp across the frame.

With the x1 lens - f4.5 with 100 iso is the sweet spot, but due to the horrible defocussing in video and stills, this drone is going back. I'll give them x3 goes and if I don't get an acceptable one I will go back to Autel.
Send that puppy back!- there no fixing “
Horribly soft left hand side”
That means either the lens or the sensor is out of alignment. Nothing or there’s a bad element on your windows. No amount is stopping down. Your F stop will fix that. You’re starting off with a major flaw.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas