DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 3 Pro arrived. Not a great start.

mavicpilotsnumpty

Reactions
Just returned my Autel V3 for a new Mavic 3 Pro only to receive it in a damaged condition. Grrrr.
Minimal protection in the packing box, the inner sealed box dented.
Looks like the throwers at the airport got themselves a new job delivering parcels.

Attachments

• IMG_5171.jpeg
    IMG_5171.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5173.jpeg
    IMG_5173.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5175.jpeg
    IMG_5175.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
Yeah, that's not good to see. If it's only the box in damaged condition, I wouldn't worry too much. The drone has a warranty and I recommend DJI Care Refresh. I only say this because dealing with damaged shipment is only going to be a headache. Check out the drone completely and if it seems ok, I don't think there is trouble down the road.

They asked me to open up the box, to see if it’s damaged. It’s not but the box is and that, to me has an impact (no pun intended), just as much as the drone inside. I know, I am sad.

I tend to keep original boxes for the purpose of resale. The buyer at times would like all the original packaging.
Me, I’d send it back. Your choice.
DJI is extremely forgiving in my numerous interactions with them. Just recently, had difficulty will a repair on my Mini2. They just sent a new drone instead of related attempt to repair. NOW is the time to send it back. Call DJI support first and get a number from them (repair or work order number).

Dale
Miami

Reactions: YVRGUY
Me too. That’s why I’m upset.
Everyone here has a box and isn't super in need of them, I'm sure if you really needed one in the future you can get one from here. I've done that before and just mark out the s/n when you sell it. Again, the focus is on the drone, if you get a good perfect drone it makes no sense to send it back to them and try to get a defective drone the next time. DJI drone have the defects that you want to look out for, not the boxes.

Reactions: Filmarik
Just returned my Autel V3 for a new Mavic 3 Pro only to receive it in a damaged condition. Grrrr.
Minimal protection in the packing box, the inner sealed box dented.
Looks like the throwers at the airport got themselves a new job delivering parcels.
I'm not sure if they'll do this but ask if they can ship you a new drone,charge you,and credit you when they receive the 1st drone back.i know you want to fly!

DJI is extremely forgiving in my numerous interactions with them. Just recently, had difficulty will a repair on my Mini2. They just sent a new drone instead of related attempt to repair. NOW is the time to send it back. Call DJI support first and get a number from them (repair or work order number).

Dale
Miami
DJI doesn't repair drones any more. They invoice you for a repair cost, and always send out a new one, instead of repairing yours.

The maiden flight has been taken. I’ve done quite a few different tests of the x1 and x2 lenses seem sharp on screen. The x7 not so much. Now heading back home to have a look at the footage and pictures taken, to see if what I was seeing on the screen for the x7 lens, was just soft on screen, but not soft in image or soft on both.
I tested with AF and manual focus, and also put on very strong focus Peking while the other two lenses showed focus taking the times seven didn’t in any range whatsoever from manual to auto focus which does make me think that it may not be sharp. I am not sure if I’m expecting too much or whether or not, it’s supposed to be slightly soft. We will see.

Probably a slightly skewed test as the shutter speed was slow at 1/15th.

That said, a few tests with the Autel V3 I returned 4 days ago, shows fantastic sharpness across the full frame at f5.6, 1/15th at iso 100. Same lighting conditions.

This is a very familiar story when I originally Bought a series of 4 Mavic 2 Pros and every one had focussing issues. So I bought an Autel Evo 2 Pro V1.

But the Mavic 3 Pro flies so well which the Autel V3 didn't because of an Obstacle Avoidance issue and inability to recalibrate that without sending it back.
But the Evo 2 Pro V3 is well ahead of the Mavic 3 Pro in terms of sharpness across the frame, minimal Jpg artifacting, and lack of grain even up to iso 800.

The Mavic 3 pro aperture test.
f2.8 - Horribly soft left hand side, much worse top left. Bottom right also soft. Top right, same focus as centre, sharp. ISO 100 no visible grain.

f3.2 - Sharpness slightly better, but still Soft left hand side, worse top left. Bottom Right also soft. Top right, same focus as centre, sharp. ISO 100 no visible grain.

f3.4 - Sharpness slightly better, but Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right still out of focus. ISO 100 no visible grain.

f4 - Sharpness slightly better, but Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right look slightly distorted. ISO 190 no visible grain - smooth.

f4.5 - Sharpness much better, but slight Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right. ISO 240 no visible grain.

f5 - Sharpness much better, but slight Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right. ISO 300 so visible grain introduced.

f5.6 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. ISO 360 so more visible grain.

f6.3 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. ISO 470 so more visible grain.

f7.1 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. Diffraction starting to rob the image of sharpness and ISO 490 so visible grain introduced.

f8.0 - Sharpness much better, Soft areas on left hand side, top left and Bottom Right are contained to extremes. Diffraction starting to rob the image of sharpness and ISO 550 so more visible grain introduced.

To test the sharpness and defocussing, I ramped up the sharpening in the images as to sharpen sharp areas and anger the out of focus areas.

Even though files shot in raw, jpg artifacting is evident on all photos once converted.

Video Files have top left extreme defocus, more evident when panning as the areas which are blurred become sharp when panning brings the corner area into the centre.

The x3 Lens is sharp across the frame and the x7 needs some sharpening to bring into line but again sharp across the frame.

With the x1 lens - f4.5 with 100 iso is the sweet spot, but due to the horrible defocussing in video and stills, this drone is going back. I'll give them x3 goes and if I don't get an acceptable one I will go back to Autel.

Mavic 3 Pro left, Autel Evo 2 Pr V3 right. Massive compression and jpg artifacts from the Mavic DNG. What gives?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 07.21.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 07.21.33.png
    474.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 07.22.19.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 07.22.19.png
    428.6 KB · Views: 38
Mavic 3 Pro left, Autel Evo 2 Pr V3 right. Massive compression and jpg artifacts from the Mavic DNG. What gives?
If you soften up the image from the Mavic 3 Pro, it will also look mushy like the Evo 2 Pro V3 image. However, I doubt the Evo 2 Pro V3 image can be sharpened to match the Mavic 3 Pro. There is clearly more detail in the Mavic 3 Pro image. However, until you have an identical image from each in the same lighting, not much can really be concluded either way. Got any better comparison examples?

Yes, sorry the Evo 2 Pro V3 shot was deep background from an f2.8 shot focussed on the foreground so the expectation was the background to be blurred. But the illustration was it did not put any artifcating in the shot. Yes I can provided apples to apples comparisons. From my testing the Evo is currently better without artifacting or blurry edges.
Just some some more tests this morning.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne