DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 3 Pro arrived. Not a great start.

Much to my surprise a UPS person arrived with a very sturdy box. Within contained the replacement drone and fly more kit.
Do damage apart from some stickey sweet smelling residue on all three batteries.

Batteries on charge, lights flashing so seem to be working.

Now the fun of updating and testing begins.

View attachment 170479
If I were you I would not waste time on any of that. Just bind the controller to the drone so you can operate it and test the cameras. You do not even need to fly the drone. Just stick it in an open window with a distant view or drive somewhere, put the drone on roof of your car or do anything which allows you to take a few good testshots. Then download the files into your comp and do your rigour. Only if satisfied with IQ of all 3 cameras do the cleaning of the sticky stuff, FW upgrades etc etc..and when the batteries looked dirty like that, check if they have any cycles..

Last edited:
Reactions: rp6
If I were you I would not waste time on any of that. Just bind the controller to the drone so you can operate it and test the cameras. You do not even need to fly the drone. Just stick it in an open window with a distant view or drive somewhere, put the drone on roof of your car or do anything which allows you to take a few good testshots. Then download the files into your comp and do your rigour. Only if satisfied with IQ of all 3 cameras do the cleaning of the sticky stuff, FW upgrades etc etc..and when the batteries looked dirty like that, check if they have any cycles..
Had DJI call to confirm the drone was received in good order. They also asked if I had flown it and checked the camera and lenses whilst in flight. They also asked if I would mind checking it in flight and test the camera in flight.

So it would appear I cannot do the minimal check you suggested.

I took it out this morning.
The 1x camera suffers from the same affliction the previous one did.
The 3x and 7x are sharp, edge to edge at f2.8
The x3 48mp mode is effectively interpolated, whilst it produces a large file, the 12mp file and enhanced in photoshop AI is way better.

f2.8 for the 1x is blurred at the bottom right, soft significantly top left and marginal blur bottom left.

Oddly, slower shutter speeds work better - anything below 60th/sec. 15th sharpest. Makes no difference until 2 secs.

100 iso smoothest as to be expected.
200-400 passable but with colour noise in the green range.
800 iso starting to get heavy grain and significant colour noise, and if left with the manufacturers profile starting to defocus at even f5.6 with default manufacturers noise reduction.
1600 falling apart and very noticeable grain and colour noise.
1600 iso onwards, forget i, unless you like grain and colour noise without a lot of tweaking in post where you will lose quality.
When printing, leaving the grain is better than noise reduction.

Any of the shots have artefacts in the dngs when sharpening. Way more than the Autel.

The manufacturers profile produces more distortion to the edges than less. Now using capture one 23 which is better than C1 21.
Lightroom 2023 and manufacturers lens profile results in hardware produced distorted edges.
Oddly using a generic profile or Fuji 100s profile works best but still blurred edges at f2.8 with the 1x lens.

F3.5 better edges
F4.5 almost there
F5.6 best minimal blurring to edges but still noticeable but correctable with selective sharpening to price a sharpish image.
F6.1-f11 no difference (no diffraction) as long as the iso is set to 100 and shutter speed can be as low as needed.
Autel is sharper edge to edge at f2.8 and amazing at f5.6

All shot in dng.

Panoramic mode jpg is a bag of crap at the bottom most likely due to the distortion of the lens.

The drone flies really well and if I was buying it for flying I would keep it.

x100 photos, and x15 videos later, at pretty much, every iso and f stop and shutter speed combo that matters.

Anything above 400 iso produces grain in video and photos. Too much gain imposed by sensor.
Shutter speed makes no difference to sharpness even when kept slow. High shutter speeds are as useless as f2.8.

This one is going back as well.

If the next one is the same I’ll just go back to Autel, least I know the camera and digital files from it will be fine out of the box.
It’s just the flying Autel struggles with along with the OA issues.

Had DJI call to confirm the drone was received in good order. They also asked if I had flown it and checked the camera and lenses whilst in flight. They also asked if I would mind checking it in flight and test the camera in flight.

So it would appear I cannot do the minimal check you suggested.

I took it out this morning.
The 1x camera suffers from the same affliction the previous one did.
The 3x and 7x are sharp, edge to edge at f2.8
The x3 48mp mode is effectively interpolated, whilst it produces a large file, the 12mp file and enhanced in photoshop AI is way better.

f2.8 for the 1x is blurred at the bottom right, soft significantly top left and marginal blur bottom left.

Oddly, slower shutter speeds work better - anything below 60th/sec. 15th sharpest. Makes no difference until 2 secs.

100 iso smoothest as to be expected.
200-400 passable but with colour noise in the green range.
800 iso starting to get heavy grain and significant colour noise, and if left with the manufacturers profile starting to defocus at even f5.6 with default manufacturers noise reduction.
1600 falling apart and very noticeable grain and colour noise.
1600 iso onwards, forget i, unless you like grain and colour noise without a lot of tweaking in post where you will lose quality.
When printing, leaving the grain is better than noise reduction.

Any of the shots have artefacts in the dngs when sharpening. Way more than the Autel.

The manufacturers profile produces more distortion to the edges than less. Now using capture one 23 which is better than C1 21.
Lightroom 2023 and manufacturers lens profile results in hardware produced distorted edges.
Oddly using a generic profile or Fuji 100s profile works best but still blurred edges at f2.8 with the 1x lens.

F3.5 better edges
F4.5 almost there
F5.6 best minimal blurring to edges but still noticeable but correctable with selective sharpening to price a sharpish image.
F6.1-f11 no difference (no diffraction) as long as the iso is set to 100 and shutter speed can be as low as needed.
Autel is sharper edge to edge at f2.8 and amazing at f5.6

All shot in dng.

Panoramic mode jpg is a bag of crap at the bottom most likely due to the distortion of the lens.

The drone flies really well and if I was buying it for flying I would keep it.

x100 photos, and x15 videos later, at pretty much, every iso and f stop and shutter speed combo that matters.

Anything above 400 iso produces grain in video and photos. Too much gain imposed by sensor.
Shutter speed makes no difference to sharpness even when kept slow. High shutter speeds are as useless as f2.8.

This one is going back as well.

If the next one is the same I’ll just go back to Autel, least I know the camera and digital files from it will be fine out of the box.
It’s just the flying Autel struggles with along with the OA issues.
Not withstanding the sharpness issues of the 1x camera you are seeing I would suggest to you (again) to stop using Capture One for processing DNG files from this drone. I get it that you use and probably like C1 but it DOES NOT process DNG files well! Trust me, I am talking from experience as a CaptureOne user of 19 years!! LR is much better in this regard and I switched from C1 to LR for DNG files processing from my drones. I still love and use C1 for my DSLR raw files but when processing DNG files C1 creates strange artifacts and makes watercolour like blobs from the finest details. This fenomenon is clearly visible when you zoom in to 100% or 200% on your monitor.
I get it that C1 lens correction might be superior to LR as you can apply extra sharpening to peripheries of the frame etc but you can apply your own lens correction adjustments on top of the DJI built in profile in LR too. LR has many great features and tools and the recently introduced Enhance Noise Reduction function is excellent. It removes noise from skies and other uniformly colored areas where it would otherwise be distructing. Noise can be a priblem especially after some sharpening is applied to the files which is necessary for the photos to look nice and crisp.
If you like, send me a couple of your DNG files from your 1x camera. Shots taken with f4.5 or f5.6 under good light and ISO100. I will play with them in LR myself applying my own presets and will send you the processed results back and you can compare those with yours processed in C1 to see the difference. You can do this by uploading the DNG files to Dropbox and share link with me via PM

Last edited:
Not withstanding the sharpness issues of the 1x camera you are seeing I would suggest to you (again) to stop using Capture One for processing DNG files from this drone. I get it that you use and probably like C1 but it DOES NOT process DNG files well! Trust me, I am talking from experience as a CaptureOne user of 19 years!! LR is much better in this regard and I switched from C1 to LR for DNG files processing from my drones. I still love and use C1 for my DSLR raw files but when processing DNG files C1 creates strange artifacts and makes watercolour like blobs from the finest details. This fenomenon is clearly visible when you zoom in to 100% or 200% on your monitor.
I get it that C1 lens correction might be superior to LR as you can apply extra sharpening to peripheries of the frame etc but you can apply your own lens correction adjustments on top of the DJI built in profile in LR too. LR has many great features and tools and the recently introduced Enhance Noise Reduction function is excellent. It removes noise from skies and other uniformly colored areas where it would otherwise be distructing. Noise can be a priblem especially after some sharpening is applied to the files which is necessary for the photos to look nice and crisp.
If you like, send me a couple of your DNG files from your 1x camera. Shots taken with f4.5 or f5.6 under good light and ISO100. I will play with them in LR myself applying my own presets and will send you the processed results back and you can compare those with yours processed in C1 to see the difference. You can do this by uploading the DNG files to Dropbox and share link with me via PM
Very kind, but I have used Lightroom as well and that does not change the off centre blur to the edges of the images.
I am also familiar with odd worm like effect that Capture One produces. It tended to be Fuji raw files the worst. Which is why I stuck to Canon and Sony, Hasselblads file were a non starter with Capture one which is why I have used Lightroom, as Phocus was too proprietary for the majority of my processing needs.

I’ll upload a link shortly.

It just seems to me that the sensor on this drone is its Achilles heel. Like a first generation sensor with poor ISO performance.
I have experience that with Hasselblads 1st gen digital sensors. Great at 50iso. By the time you get to 200 it’s starting to fall apart, by 400 iso I would go back to film.
The phase one p45 was an awesome back with so much flexibility.
Just seems like this sensor on the Mavic is not to my liking. The off centre focus is just flat out not acceptable.
If Autel sorted out their odd flying and software bugs I would not be trying continuing with the Mavic 3 Pro.
My mini 3 Pro is my current go to drone.

Last edited:
"It just seems to me that the sensor on this drone is its Achilles heel. Like a first generation sensor with poor ISO performance.
I have experience that with Hasselblads 1st gen digital sensors. Great at 50iso. By the time you get to 200 it’s starting to fall apart, by 400 iso I would go back to film.
The phase one p45 was an awesome back with so much flexibility."

I have followed this saga of difficulty with the sensor of the M3P. The above quote suggests to me that the OP has an unrealistic expectation of the capabilities of the m4/3 sensor. It is, IMO, utterly disingenuous to discuss/compare the performance of a Phase1 P45, and ISO 50 in a discussion of the IQ of a small sensor camera. The Mavic 3 Pro is, IMO, an upper middle range drone (camera platform) that produces quite stunning images considering the challenges that it faces in terms of its operating environment.

Pixel peeping is, IMO, ultimately folly that always leads to disappointment because one can always find fault. I have pixel peeped for years and I have often been informed but rarely rewarded.

I suggest that the OP invest in a DJI Inspire 3 with the camera of his choice. It may pass his tests.

"It just seems to me that the sensor on this drone is its Achilles heel. Like a first generation sensor with poor ISO performance.
The phase one p45 was an awesome back with so much flexibility."

I have followed this saga of difficulty with the sensor of the M3P. The above quote suggests to me that the OP has an unrealistic expectation of the capabilities of the m4/3 sensor. It is, IMO, utterly disingenuous to discuss/compare the performance of a Phase1 P45, and ISO 50 in a discussion of the IQ of a small sensor camera. The Mavic 3 Pro is, IMO, an upper middle range drone (camera platform) that produces quite stunning images considering the challenges that it faces in terms of its operating environment.

Pixel peeping is, IMO, ultimately folly that always leads to disappointment because one can always find fault. I have pixel peeped for years and I have often been informed but rarely rewarded.

I suggest that the OP invest in a DJI Inspire 3 with the camera of his choice. It may pass his tests.
Thank you for your comment, however, you are misinformed and making an assumption.

My comment was not me attempting to make a comparison between a phase one P45 back and a micro 4/3 sensor.
That first of all would be ludicrous and nonsensical, neither of which could be said of my comment, which was an attempt at an illustration that a micro 4:3 sensor in this particular drone, as with the previous drone is not as good as an Evo 2 pro V3 out of the box.

The illustration of the P45 digital back was a comparison to the hasselblad CFV 39, and cfv16 v2 of which I have owned, and the phase p45 was fantastic in comparison to the hasselblad. The Hasselblad has never been that good at high ISO.
Very much like this particular digital sensor in this Mavic 3 Pro. Which is the only comparison that could be drawn between a medium format sensor and a micro four3 sensor in my personal experience.
There is nothing disingenuous about my comment, comparing the two digital backs was an attempt at a simile to, Autel and DJI.

Sorry that you misunderstood what I wrote.

As for your suggestion that I should buy an inspire, that is pure folly.
If Autel could sort out their software issue Then I would stay with them. If my dislike of the DJI gets, you all, worked up then that is not my fault.
Buying a mid-size drone that flies well and takes great pictures without a massive amount of sharpening, defocusing de noising and editing work should be possible for about £3000.
Maybe if I could put an Autel camera on a DJI body that would be the perfect drone.

Last edited:
I am affraid to say that IMHO this is as good as it gets with Mavic 3 Pro and the 1x camera. The first photo was taken with 1/8 sec shutter speed which is not ideal for taking photos from any flying platform but to me there is nothing wrong with it. The second was with 0.3 sec which is not ideal either but I can not see anything wrong with it either.
Here are the 8 bit TIFF files processed with my own settings in LR and PS.
Members opinion welcomed

Last edited:
I am affraid to say that IMHO this is as good as it gets with Mavic 3 Pro and the 1x camera. The first photo was taken with 1/8 sec shutter speed which is not ideal for taking photos from any flying platform but to me there is nothing wrong with it. The second was with 0.3 sec which is not ideal either but I can not see anything wrong with it either.
Here are the 8 bit TIFF files processed with my own settings in LR and PS.
Members opinion welcomed

So blurred edges and soft focus to the edges is normal for DJI Mavic 3 pro1x lens?

From my testing as mentioned the slow shutter speed made very little difference to the blurriness or sharpness. as I went up the shutter speed to see if that made a difference to the sharpness. It didn’t.
Obviously had an impact on the ISO.

Scotland, this time of year copious amounts of Gorgeous light is not in abundance. Ideal lighting conditions required for this sensor certainly makes me feel like I have a Hasselblad camera again.

Whilst I could easily leave the camera in F5.6 and 100 ISO which appears to be the sweet spot. It is rather limiting the cameras functionality which suggests that f2.8 potentially to f7 is usable.
With my Autel Evo 2 pro V1 and the 3 weeks I had the V3 I had quite usable F2 .8 to F8 I never felt concerned that my stitching may have a blurred area that I would need to compensate for.

Just a shame that the Autel does not fly well when the OA is faulty.

Last edited:
Did you look at the photos I processed for you and uploaded to Dropbox? I am not sure what IQ you expect from this drone and its 1x camera but if this is not good enough for you, you might need to look elsewhere.
Yes, I did, and thank you for taking the time to play with them.

Still shows the top left blurriness and the bottom right fussy lens blur and if I was cropping to remove these areas I would probably be quite happy.
But as I know that, it is possible to take a slow shutter speed, 100 ISO f5.6 picture without any lens blurring whatsoever, it does beg the question I don’t think DJI drones are for me.
I’ve already replaced my mini 3 pro for exactly the same issue and the new one, whilst better, is still blurry.
However, for property surveys the mini 3 pro is good enough.
An expensive mistake on my part, but good enough.
The amount of money, I’m throwing at this Mavic 3 pro I expect Autel camera quality from the main camera.
The other two lenses 3x and 7x are wonderful. The 7x is a little soft but quick sharpening brings everything back wonderfully.
If anything, the 3x is perfect shame the x1 is a let down for me.

Yes, I did, and thank you for taking the time to play with them.

Still shows the top left blurriness and the bottom right fussy lens blur and if I was cropping to remove these areas I would probably be quite happy.
But as I know that, it is possible to take a slow shutter speed, 100 ISO f5.6 picture without any lens blurring whatsoever, it does beg the question I don’t think DJI drones are for me.
I’ve already replaced my mini 3 pro for exactly the same issue and the new one, whilst better, is still blurry.
However, for property surveys the mini 3 pro is good enough.
An expensive mistake on my part, but good enough.
The amount of money, I’m throwing at this Mavic 3 pro I expect Autel camera quality from the main camera.
The other two lenses 3x and 7x are wonderful. The 7x is a little soft but quick sharpening brings everything back wonderfully.
If anything, the 3x is perfect shame the x1 is a let down for me.
At least you now know that the 1x camera is not meeting your expectations. Time to make decision and either move on or accept this drone with its strengths and limitations. A "wonderful" 3x and 7x cameras and IMHO a pretty decent and perfectly usable 1x, or stick with the Autel, IQ of which meets your standards.
I rest my case.

"Buying a mid-size drone that flies well and takes great pictures without a massive amount of sharpening, defocusing de noising and editing work should be possible for about £3000."
Many of us have done just that.

How can you tell anything about the camera's image sharpness when the subject is so soft?
Couldn't you find something with hard detail to shoot?
Trees not detailed enough for you?
I'll take you comment as irony and funny. Lightened the mood. Cheers.

At least you now know that the 1x camera is not meeting your expectations. Time to make decision and either move on or accept this drone with its strengths and limitations. A "wonderful" 3x and 7x cameras and IMHO a pretty decent and perfectly usable 1x, or stick with the Autel, IQ of which meets your standards.
I rest my case.
And a lovely case it is too. Built with good advice and helpful comments. Many thanks.

Trees not detailed enough for you?
I'll take you comment as irony and funny. Lightened the mood. Cheers.
No ... massed distant trees are just a fluffy mess of hundreds of thousands of twigs.
Too much detail, too far away.
If you want to tell if the camera is up to scratch, give it a chance and shoot something with hard detail.
But if you just want to engage in interminable joyless pixel peeping and complaining, you picked a good subject for it.

Reactions: rp6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne