DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Mini, but don't own a mobile phone. HELP!

Tzonoqua

Reactions
My question, on behalf of an elderly neighbor: I own a Mavic Mini, my neighbor just bought a Mavic Mini also. He does use a cell phone, but will need one to use the Fly app. What is the best necessities in order to get him a phone, and what does he need to have in the phone in order to download and use/access all of the DJI FLY functions and benefits? I do not want him to be coerced into having more on his phone when he buys it than is absolutely necessary, he will never be using his phone as a phone. He just wants to fly. I can assist him in the buying and setting up and flying, but do not know what needs to get started.
I know about the list of compatible phones for the DJI app, so can assist him with buying a compatible one.

I am assuming he will need a small data package in order to download the App?
Sim card neccesary?
He should not need any internet?
Anything else he will need to get flying?
Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited:
My question, on behalf of an elderly neighbor: I own a Mavic Mini, my neighbor just bought a Mavic Mini also. He does use a cell phone, but will need one to use the Fly app. What is the best necessities in order to get him a phone, and what does he need to have in the phone in order to download and use/access all of the DJI FLY functions and benefits? I do not want him to be coerced into having more on his phone when he buys it than is absolutely necessary, he will never be using his phone as a phone. He just wants to fly. I can assist him in the buying and setting up and flying, but do not know what needs to get started.
I know about the list of compatible phones for the DJI app, so can assist him with buying a compatible one.

Sim card neccesary?
Really you could just get him an iPod touch Or iPad and download the app for him on Wi-Fi and delete all other apps or move them to a back page of the home screen.

You really don’t need a SIM card or cell package at all. I would get a newer iPod touch or iPad instead of all that. Once the app is one the iPad/phone/pad/whatever and you activate the drone you really don’t HAVE to have any kind of internet. I assume he doesn’t have wi-fi either which is ok but that means you have to active it on your smart phone or on on the device you get when it’s connected to internet but that’s only the very first time you use it and never again.

There are updates and such that require internet but honestly there is a large group of people that go to great lengths to PREVENT their app and drone from updating. It’s not like it will stop working like it’s always worked if you don’t update.

The only thing is the maps... You might want to use your cell phone as as hotspot for the iPod touch/iPad/whatever you end up getting can connect to the first time he flys so it can download the map of his area the first time but honestly you still don’t really need that. Plenty of people just use iPads that don’t have cell connections and have no issues with the basic maps.

I think iOS is better for older people because is just WORKS better than Android. I’m sure there will be people chiming in on that but it’s simpler and more responsive. When you touch the screen the screen responds the FIRST time. It also has less unnecessary bloat ware on it.

IPad mini is the ideal thing to get. It’s bigger and easier on the eyes but not unwieldy. You can get the wi-fi only version but the cellular version will let him download the maps automatically and will be able to use the follow me mode since it has a gps unit in it. The wi-fi only version doesn’t not have GPS.

You need a newer android or iOS device that has the google play store or iOS device with the Apple App Store at minimum. DJI fly app needs a newer device and the newer it is the better and less frustrating it will be.

Last edited:
You can get the latest iPod touch for $199. You could maybe find a 6th generation one for a bit less but this is my minimum recommendation.

iPod touch 32GB - Space Gray

1586747933676.png

Ideally the iPad mini is $399
iPad mini

1586748003387.png

Anything less and you risk the app not working well. Considering an iPhone or android phone is in the $500-$1000 range these options are pretty good.

Reactions: Tzonoqua
THANK YOU BRETT! I have copied all of your messages so I can relay all this to him. Cost is not a problem he said, so it was only figuring out which. I was going to suggest to him the Mini as it was a bit bigger and it may be advantageous for him to view. I have actually thought about getting one for myself because my Samsung S7 is still fairly small for seeing what is going on and my Samsung Tab A is listed as being not compatible with the drone. As for using internet for updates and app loads, he is only 50ft from my house, he can come over and use my internet to do any manual updates and such. He is VERY excited about this drone, He has been flying toy drones up until now and it is so inspiring that at any age you can have a thrill flying one of these machines. He is really excited! You have been a great help Brett, I foresee a happy neighbor in my future! Thanks again!

THANK YOU BRETT! I have copied all of your messages so I can relay all this to him. Cost is not a problem he said, so it was only figuring out which. I was going to suggest to him the Mini as it was a bit bigger and it may be advantageous for him to view. I have actually thought about getting one for myself because my Samsung S7 is still fairly small for seeing what is going on and my Samsung Tab A is listed as being not compatible with the drone. As for using internet for updates and app loads, he is only 50ft from my house, he can come over and use my internet to do any manual updates and such. He is VERY excited about this drone, He has been flying toy drones up until now and it is so inspiring that at any age you can have a thrill flying one of these machines. He is really excited! You have been a great help Brett, I foresee a happy neighbor in my future! Thanks again!
Very good! I know how life changing it was for me with my first real drone.

Oh and if he gets the iPad mini I would suggest getting one of these cords.

Skyreat 1.14ft / 35cm Lightning USB Cable Cord Apple MFi Certified Right Size Angle for DJI

Amazon.com: Skyreat 1.14ft / 35cm Lightning USB Cable Cord Apple MFi Certified Right Size Angle for DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom/Mavic Air/Pro/Platinum,Parrot Anafi,Autel EVO,Phantom Series: Electronics

The iPad might not be able to use the cord that comes with the mini. He could use a standard lighting cable like the one that comes with the iPad mini but it’s too long so there’s lots of extra cable hanging out and it won’t be flush with The controller so it gets in the way of the hands. This one is the perfect length and has the right angle bend so it won’t be in the way of his hand.

Reactions: Capt KO
You can also consider the Galaxy Tab A model SM-T290???? ( do a search here for it.) Not all are the same. Also pay attention to which processor it has. The Canuk version may differ from the U.S. version both should be under $200. Being older the tablet should be easier on the eyes. Good luck, have fun and be safe!!!

For more pleasurable flying, a phone/tablet with the brightest screen will be very handy in bright sunlight. The most up to date iPhone and iPads have noticeably brighter screens than the older ones.

Reactions: Capt KO
I bought a used iPad Mini 2 for $75.......no issues at all, and iPads don't drain the controller battery when connected....a real plus. Much better viewing on an iPad Mini screen than a cell phone!!

I bought a used iPad Mini 2 for $75.......no issues at all, and iPads don't drain the controller battery when connected....a real plus. Much better viewing on an iPad Mini screen than a cell phone!!
Do u have WiFi only or cellular data on the iPad mini 2.. might try searching for me one too bc I have a iPhone 7 (which the screen is small) and I had a iPad mini 1st generation (which doesn’t support the DJI Fly app)

The iPad minis fit perfect on the Mavic mini. I use WiFi only on my two mini4. Even 16gb would do if it’s the designated controller. Very cheap used or refurb.

Oh and if he gets the iPad mini I would suggest getting one of these cords.

Skyreat 1.14ft / 35cm Lightning USB Cable Cord Apple MFi Certified Right Size Angle for DJI

Amazon.com: Skyreat 1.14ft / 35cm Lightning USB Cable Cord Apple MFi Certified Right Size Angle for DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom/Mavic Air/Pro/Platinum,Parrot Anafi,Autel EVO,Phantom Series: Electronics

The iPad might not be able to use the cord that comes with the mini. He could use a standard lighting cable like the one that comes with the iPad mini but it’s too long so there’s lots of extra cable hanging out and it won’t be flush with The controller so it gets in the way of the hands. This one is the perfect length and has the right angle bend so it won’t be in the way of his hand.
Yep. 2 x
1255FED1-A0BE-47A7-8288-11C3E3925B77.png

Sim card neccesary?
He can buy a separate mavic controler

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803