DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic owner. Experience with Ipad Mini 2 and Losing Live feed.

Gary

Reactions
Hello! My first post. My 2nd day with my new Mavic Pro. I have experience in nitro helis, Phantom 3, DJI Flame Wheel, building quads, etc. For those considering an Ipad Mini 2 and live in hot areas, my flying problems today. The temperature was 86F humidity 40%. The Ipad Mini 2 got hot to the point of losing live video. It became very hot within 15 minutes. I switched to my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ and had no problems other that it getting hot, but never losing live feed. Note; I've had similar problems with my Phantom 3, I now use an Ipad Air 2 without problems. I just ordered a refurbished Ipad Mini 2 from Apple for the Mavic. I will be calling Apple to exchange it for an Ipad Mini 4 I hope. Hope this helps. Thanks!

To Add; I am using the latest firmware and latest DJI Go 4 IOS and Android app. There are cooling solutions for these same problems in these forums, I may try an "Ice Pack".

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum .
I use a mini 2 and live in MS and only in
The direct sun in way hotter days has mine
ever shut down. I try and stay in the shade
And that seems to help me.
As far as doing as yours it hasn't .Just shut
down.

Interesting note; I was in the shade at first and walked into the sun to fly over Lake Lanier, that's when the video froze up. I have read where others use a cold pack or even dampened paper towels to keep the Mini 2 cool. Good advice, "Stay in the shade." ;-)

You have to here in the summer.
Flying or not .;)

Reactions: Gary
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I will be calling Apple to exchange it for an Ipad Mini 4 I hope.
Good plan. It's very rare to see anyone complaining of an iPad Mini 4 overheating.

Thanks guys for the welcome! My grandkids use "my" Mini 2. That's why I bought another. They have a load of games on it. I am now wondering with all of those "notifications", that isn't part of the over heating problem. Maybe too many background tasks running contributing to the cpu overload.

Reactions: Gary
As a followup I wanted to post my 2nd experience in fairly hot and humid conditions. Using an Ipad Mini 2 running no background apps, in the shade absolutely no problems with the video feed. I engaged follow me, walked out of the shade with the Mavic following me and less than 30 seconds in the sun, video feed breakup. I have learned recently the Mini 2 is only good for temps to 95F, and without a doubt it will fail if pushed beyond those temps. I walked back into the shade, fanned the Ipad Mini 2, and within seconds the video feed was working great once again. I found a tablet heatsink with 2 fans for US $15.00 shipped from ebay. Cheap enough to try my luck! I'll post my findings with the Mini 2 when I receive the 'cooler'.
Adjustable USB Cooler Cooling Fan Pad Heatsink Air Extracting for Tablet AC545 | eBay

Hii there guys!
I have an ipad mini 2 last version software but never fly with it before. Why? Because each time i tested on ground, i lost the image of the cam on dji go4 (last version too). Image becomes black for instants like if i had cover the cam. This not seems to be due the usb/ipad cable. Anyone helps? Is it that due the settings on mini2? What can i do to solve?

Hii there guys!
I have an ipad mini 2 last version software but never fly with it before. Why? Because each time i tested on ground, i lost the image of the cam on dji go4 (last version too). Image becomes black for instants like if i had cover the cam. This not seems to be due the usb/ipad cable. Anyone helps? Is it that due the settings on mini2? What can i do to solve?
I had to switch usb cables. No problems with anything else except the Mavic remote. It works great now with a new cable from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Perfect Size for DJI Inspire 1 Phantom 4 Phantom 3 Remote Control with iPad Air Mini, Cambond Apple MFi Certified 1ft Lightning Cord Nylon Braided for iPhone 7 7 Plus 6 6 plus 5 iPod( Solid Silver ): Cell Phones & Accessories

Reactions: Joao Vgs
One more follow up. One of my sons bought the Ipad Mini 2 from me because I got a great price, refurbished from Apple. I bought a new Ipad Mini 4 WIFI. I ran the Antutu performance test and was pleasantly surprised. It listed both GPS chips! I wondered if this was somehow a mistake, so I took the Ipad Mini 4 with me in the car. Using a cached Google Maps, it accurately showed my position. Interesting. I am wondering if the Ipad Mini 4 128gb has been upgraded or they are using the cellular board in the current version?

View media item 996I have a 128gb iPad mini 2 wifi only that I bought specifically for my mavic. I don't run many other app on it as I have an iPad Air 2 as well.
It worked for a little while... but after these most resent firmware update it struggles... after a few minutes of flying I get some serious lag in the video. I turned off video caching and that made most of the lag go away... still see a few blip once and a while.. but when I few on the 4th I got a mobile CPU resource warning..... so now both iPads are up for sale and I plan to get a Mini 4....

Not sure if others have had the same experience...

Last edited:
View media item 996I have a 128gb iPad mini 2 wifi only that I bought specifically for my mavic. I don't run many other app on it as I have an iPad Air 2 as well.
It worked for a little while... but after these most resent firmware update it struggles... after a few minutes of flying I get some serious lag in the video. I turned off video caching and that made most of the lag go away... still see a few blip once and a while.. but when I few on the 4th I got a mobile CPU resource warning..... so now both iPads are up for sale and I plan to get a Mini 4....

Not sure if others have had the same experience...
The two main video lag problems I had were 1. USB cable and 2. The Mini 2 overheating. I believe I posted a link for the USB cable I bought. I actually bought a heatsink for the Mini2, which I haven't tried yet. I got much better results using a sunshield for Mini 2. I bought a Mini 4 128gb that I currently use. I have intermittently used the Mini 2 and notice slightly more lag. Be aware, the Mini 4 has overheated on me once, not using the sunshade, causing lag, but not as bad as the Mini 2. Hope that helps. BTW, we live in GA, so it gets very hot with the humidity sometimes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom