DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro Owner with a huge issue..

ItsMike

Reactions
So, Yesterday I unboxed my Mavic!

Charged batteries, controller and watched a few videos about it.. (Not new to the drone world)..

Took her outside, calibrated Compass, IMU and set GPS..

Powered up the fans and it was like Jesus spoke to me with the sounds she made.. Soooo sweet!

About 4 minutes into flight (At about 300' up) I lost transmission to iPhone!!!! Kept full control of craft, so I brought her down safely.. Reset everything and was about to box it up and send its *** back.. Tried again.. Kept it about 10' up and it did it again.. Down, reset and tried again.. Without a fail it did it, but it took a while and I was able to get some footage to test camera out..

Went inside.. read about this for a bit.. Many suggestions about using a new cable in the USB Port.. Tried it in my kitchen, let it sit for a while and no disconnects... Took it outside and made a test flight.. No disconnects there either..

So, my question to you.. WTF???!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am using an iPhone 8+ running the latest S/W..

Hi, I've had mine over a year now & have never had that problem.
Though I later also started using the usb socket to connect my Android phone.
If it happens again try a different device either another phone or a tablet

As mentioned, the cable can make a difference. Just disconnecting/reconnecting the cable can often restore the connection. I didn't have an issue with my iPhone X, using the included R/C Lightning cable, but I know it can happen. Now I have an iPad mini 4 so usually use that to fly, connected via the bottom USB connector (using a short cable with a 90-degree connector for the mini).

I also try to ensure the only thing running on either my iPhone X or mini 4 is Go 4 (or Litchi if I am flying with that).

Mike

i would get a dedicated phone or tablet just for flying the mavic, and have no programs running in the background other than DJI...there is a list of compatible phones/tablets out there, search DJI site or this forum. try a different cable. everyone occasionally experiences a disconnect, always use the large usb outlet from the RC running a good data cable to the phone/tablet. if you get a disconnect, try reconnecting the usb cable, if that fails, restart the phone/tablet. you can always bring the Mavic back by telemetrics on the RC, or RTH return to home, usually works, but has been known to fail...maintain high altitude if you're bringing it back blindly or have adequate RTH height set.

I have had my MP for over 10 months, Never, never had a problem with DJI's cable on my iPhone 6, and for last several months have been using a Mini4 with USB cable and never had a RC/iPad disconnect either. Always running most up to date iOS, FW, and GO4 app.

i would get a dedicated phone or tablet just for flying the mavic, and have no programs running in the background other than DJI...there is a list of compatible phones/tablets out there, search DJI site or this forum. try a different cable. everyone occasionally experiences a disconnect, always use the large usb outlet from the RC running a good data cable to the phone/tablet. if you get a disconnect, try reconnecting the usb cable, if that fails, restart the phone/tablet. you can always bring the Mavic back by telemetrics on the RC, or RTH return to home, usually works, but has been known to fail...maintain high altitude if you're bringing it back blindly or have adequate RTH height set.

I have a Samsung S8 that I use for everything including flying my MP. I usually use a USB cable from the bottom port to the phone. The little cable with right angle connectors was just to fiddly for my old thick fingers.

Mostly never turn anything of that is running on my phone and never had a disconnect.

Also a new proud MP owner. I have only used my Samsung Note 5. So far no issues. I can say connecting the cable needs a special attention.. to be sure its fully in. I have a couple of phones i plan on trying to find an alternative and dedicated device for flying. I cannot turn off the cell service. I fly close and am still practising in beginner mode. I also have a Samsung galaxy tab A. Plan on connecting today before i buy a mount.

Charged batteries, controller and watched a few videos about it.. (Not new to the drone world)..

Powered up the fans and it was like Jesus spoke to me with the sounds she made.. Soooo sweet!

About 4 minutes into flight (At about 300' up) I lost transmission to iPhone!!!! Kept full control of craft, so I brought her down safely.. Reset everything and was about to box it up and send its *** back.. Tried again.. Kept it about 10' up and it did it again.. Down, reset and tried again.. Without a fail it did it, but it took a while and I was able to get some footage to test camera out..

Went inside.. read about this for a bit.. Many suggestions about using a new cable in the USB Port.. Tried it in my kitchen, let it sit for a while and no disconnects... Took it outside and made a test flight.. No disconnects there either..

First mistake was calibrating the IMU. This is not required unless asked to do so. You need level ground (Spirit Level) to do an IMU calibration.

If you calibrated the Compass with any metal object within 15 feet then the calibration is not good enough. if you did it with your mobile Phone in your pocket or close to drone. Very much not good enough.

Do not calibrate over concrete surface. It may have REO steel reinforcement in the concrete base that will mess up the calibration.

Turn off Wifi and BT on your Phone. Stop all running apps other than DJI GO4. Ensure that you are away from any Wifi Sources like Wifi access points.

Use 2.4 Ghz if possible as 5.8 can have issues Particularly near RC flying fields that are all use 2.4 for radios but use 5.8 for analogue FPV. Some fixed wing FPV pilots use up to 2 Watt 5.8 transmitters well over any legal limit in any country but still available for use. They will swamp the entire 5.8 band..

Cheers

Yes. The OP needs to post his FW version and if he checks the FW before flying. If he did not have an Internet connection at the time it would not have warned him of updates.

If his Smart device was updated to the latest Go4 app there may be conflicts with his FW version.

I update the firmware on all my DJI drones as soon as the firmware is released. I do it with DJI Assistant 2 for the Mac. For my Sparks I have to update the Transmitters via Wifi as there is no support for the assistant app or OTG cable on the controllers.

And I update the Smart devices automatically Android and IOS except for my Crystal Sky Android based DJI monitors where it is done manually as part of the Crystal Sky main update pack.

I also Update my DJI Goggles both Standard and RE by the assistant app using the latest Mavic Pro FW.

Cheers

Ok.. a little update for me.. yes my samsung tab A works or appears to work just fine.. today i took my MP for some flight practice. Now all of a sudden my Samsung galaxy note 5 had some connection issues. It almost seeems to be the connection cable.. or perhaps my phone mini usb port is weak or loose.. anyways.. i would connect when i took the cable out of the RC arm but once i placed bacl into the arm and the phone in the handles.. i would loose it again.

Download DJI Assistant 2 .... connect to aircraft and perform all firmware updates .... and do so with each battery .... and update the controller. Do all calibrations (Compass, IMU, Controller). Now it is ready to fly.

Also a new proud MP owner. I have only used my Samsung Note 5. So far no issues. I can say connecting the cable needs a special attention.. to be sure its fully in. I have a couple of phones i plan on trying to find an alternative and dedicated device for flying. I cannot turn off the cell service. I fly close and am still practising in beginner mode. I also have a Samsung galaxy tab A. Plan on connecting today before i buy a mount.
I us the Samsung Galaxy Tab A also - much better than any little phone screen - haven't had any problems with it...

Reactions: ToddR
Just a little note to my inital post..

All FW was updated to latest, done via app.

I have found its the cable that comes with controller that is causing this.. I flew yesterday and noted that once I even remotely touched it, I lost connection again.. So.. new cable on its way.

As for the DJI assistant, Ill load that up today and connected everything and see if there are additional updates.

I had a similar problem with my LG G5. I turned off cache to phone. It works but then you have no video/pics if you lose your drone

I am leaning in the same direction. Curiously even when i used a usb to micro usb cable from the bottom of the RC to the Samsung it would not connect. This worked perfectly when testing my Tab A. On a side note i am not sure what people mean by DJI Assistant 2.. i have the DJI go 4 app (after p4) loaded onto all my devices. Is this different than Assistant 2? Yes i also downloaded firmware updates.. used all my batteries, calibrated my compass.

DJI Assistant 2 is not an app to fly using a phone or tablet. It is an app that runs on PCs or Macs that lets you update firmware, calibrate, and other maintenance functions.

Mike

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54