DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro Owner with a huge issue..

So, Yesterday I unboxed my Mavic!

Charged batteries, controller and watched a few videos about it.. (Not new to the drone world)..

Took her outside, calibrated Compass, IMU and set GPS..

Powered up the fans and it was like Jesus spoke to me with the sounds she made.. Soooo sweet!

About 4 minutes into flight (At about 300' up) I lost transmission to iPhone!!!! Kept full control of craft, so I brought her down safely.. Reset everything and was about to box it up and send its *** back.. Tried again.. Kept it about 10' up and it did it again.. Down, reset and tried again.. Without a fail it did it, but it took a while and I was able to get some footage to test camera out..

Went inside.. read about this for a bit.. Many suggestions about using a new cable in the USB Port.. Tried it in my kitchen, let it sit for a while and no disconnects... Took it outside and made a test flight.. No disconnects there either..

So, my question to you.. WTF???!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am using an iPhone 8+ running the latest S/W..
See what happens when you use Jesus name in vain

DJI Assistant 2 is not an app to fly using a phone or tablet. It is an app that runs on PCs or Macs that lets you update firmware, calibrate, and other maintenance functions.

Mike

Ahh.. now that makes sence. So I assume you plug your RC and P directly to the laptop while using th assistant 2?

Reactions: Big Jim
Ahh.. now that makes sence. So I assume you plug your RC and P directly to the laptop while using th assistant 2?
Yes, must be connected via USB cable to the pc or Mac.

That said, I don’t think that you should need to calibrate the IMU on a brand new Mavic Pro. I have never used Assistant 2 to calibrate anything on my Mavic Pro—and I am far from alone (many have never even used Assistant 2, some can’t even get it to run).

But if you want to update firmware, sure.

Mike

Reactions: ToddR
**Update**

Upon further review.. It was me.. Apparently I was not seating the cable all the way (Like I thought I did).. After some fiddling around with it, I got it to be able to seat perfectly.. 3 flights for 10+ minutes each and not a single disconnect..

P.S. Dam, what an upgrade over the spark (Camera wise).

Also a new proud MP owner. I have only used my Samsung Note 5. So far no issues. I can say connecting the cable needs a special attention.. to be sure its fully in. I have a couple of phones i plan on trying to find an alternative and dedicated device for flying. I cannot turn off the cell service. I fly close and am still practising in beginner mode. I also have a Samsung galaxy tab A. Plan on connecting today before i buy a mount.
I have had my mp for about 15 months. I used my galaxy tab A 10.1 inch. I had problems with using it. I did research and found out that tablet is not on the compatible list. I have used an ipad mini 2 since I found issues with my galaxy. If you have the same tab A I would use caution. I have never had an issue with the ipad. Good luck

Just curious: do you consider drones to be feminine in English? I often hear you speak about "she", and makes me funny, in Spanish "drone" is a masculine word.

Regards!

First mistake was calibrating the IMU. This is not required unless asked to do so. You need level ground (Spirit Level) to do an IMU calibration.

If you calibrated the Compass with any metal object within 15 feet then the calibration is not good enough. if you did it with your mobile Phone in your pocket or close to drone. Very much not good enough.

Do not calibrate over concrete surface. It may have REO steel reinforcement in the concrete base that will mess up the calibration.

Turn off Wifi and BT on your Phone. Stop all running apps other than DJI GO4. Ensure that you are away from any Wifi Sources like Wifi access points.

Have only just taken possession of my MP, bought it after two weeks worth of looking into a decent drone, and might be two weeks of reading about issues here before I fly it, haven't even unboxed it yet but I found your post really helpful thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy