DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro Surging on Climbout

Jbourne210

Reactions
Hello to all. Long time RC flyer here, (including other drones), but new Mavic Pro owner.

Picked one up the other day, and have logged a dozen or so flights. She's flown flawlessly, With one caveat.

When I begin my climb to altitude, I get collective surging. By that I mean that I can hear the RPM's increase and immediately decrease, as though she can't make her mind up whether she's supposed to be climbing or staying at altitude. This happens during a normal climb-out (airspeed combined with climb) or a true vertical climb. Granted, I can give her a bit more juice, and all is well, but it bugs me that I get this surging on slow smooth applications of power.

I know that I can adjust the controller a bit and probably get this to go away, but in the interest of power conservation, I'd prefer to be able to perform nice easy climb-outs.

Anyway, it's not really that big of a deal, just curious if anyone else noticed this, and how they fixed it. Or to confirm that I'm being too OCD. lol

Happy flyin'...

Hard to speculate as we can’t actually hear what you hear, but keep this in mind.

Unlike the RC we older enthusiasts are used to flying, (including even lesser quality drones), the Mavic has several layers of stability, intelligence and failsafe, between you and the drone, any of which can produce a “correction” when you apply a control.

Probably not an issue, but again, we’d need to hear or see the behavior to make a judgement as to normal or not.

That said, I’ll watch closely on my next flight, and see if I detect what you describe. If I do, I’ll repost.

Last edited:
Roger that Robert. Honestly, I'm thinking that I'm just being TOO mindful of noises and behaviors on this little drone, as I don't have a lot of stick time with her yet. It's probably alright, but when I get home, and put a quick flight in, and see if I can catch the noise on a Go Pro.

On another note, I've had a Yuneec Q500+ for a few years, and put in a ton of flights on her, with nary a scratch. She flies 'softer', if that makes sense. Oh, she'll stay right where you put her, but she's slow to correct, relying more on the gimbal system to soften the wind gusts. But she was just a pain to travel with, and doesn't have near the flight time or number of customization options.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers!

Reactions: Zyskman78
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wolfgangMaveric