DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro - trying to follow the rules

MaddogMavic

Reactions
I've registered under 336 for $5. I've practiced with (and crashed--a lot) a $100 drone to get the hang of the controls. I've watched a million YouTube videos. So, now, I'm basically a professional pilot. I'm ready to fly my Mavic Pro.

I looked at B4UFly and I'm about 3 miles from a hospital helipad. I found the "airport manager" number on the FAA website. How do you handle hospitals?

I'm also about 4.75 miles from 3 other helipads and 1 "airport". The 3 helipads are all private ranches. The "airport" must have been registered but never constructed. It is identified as a 1100' dirt runway, but is actually a giant wooded area of land. How do you handle these?

Thanks for the help.

I would not bother contacting anyone, just be mindful that helicopters can come from any direction and at lower altitudes.
EDIT: And of course, keep your Mavic in sight and under 400' at all times.

As far as hospitals, I've found the numbers tend to be for facilities staff or security, but they've always understood what I'm calling for.

I also call private airports and helipads, not infrequently the number listed by the FAA is non-working or no longer accurate. In those cases I don't bother calling in the future.

I've registered under 336 for $5. I've practiced with (and crashed--a lot) a $100 drone to get the hang of the controls. I've watched a million YouTube videos. So, now, I'm basically a professional pilot. I'm ready to fly my Mavic Pro.

I looked at B4UFly and I'm about 3 miles from a hospital helipad. I found the "airport manager" number on the FAA website. How do you handle hospitals?

I'm also about 4.75 miles from 3 other helipads and 1 "airport". The 3 helipads are all private ranches. The "airport" must have been registered but never constructed. It is identified as a 1100' dirt runway, but is actually a giant wooded area of land. How do you handle these?

Thanks for the help.

I've seen a number of people post that the operator has told them they wouldn't authorize their flight or told them not to fly. You're really just notifying them that you'll be flying & not asking for permission. Most people have found that its a waste of time to contact anyone & just be smart when operating the Mavic.

If the DJI go app allows you to fly, then fly. You are not in a NFZ.
If it tells you to unlock before you fly, think twice about it and fly if you want. Still not in an NFZ
If you hear a helicopter coming, get out of the way before its upon you.
If you are in an area not safe to fly, the app wont (shouldnt) let you.

Reactions: Greenflash
If you are in an area not safe to fly, the app wont (shouldnt) let you.

Will / should, something let you know on the controller?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98