DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member from Long Island, USA

fGene

Reactions
Greetings, everyone.

After reading this forum for years, I finally decided to join, mostly because I currently own 2 Mavic - branded drones and sometimes would like to join in certain discussions, not just read them. A self-introduction follows...

I consider myself an experienced RC builder, UAV pilot and photographer, and also an amateur programmer. I have been in RC hobby for 12 years, designing and building planes, cars, boats, walking and balancing robots, VTOLs, multirotors of all shapes, and even some unorthodox camera gimbals (including what I believe to be the very first 360 stabilized camera platform). For 7 years I had an aerial videography business with a partner, who was/is a professional videographer. I was in charge of "all things technical". Unfortunately, this kind of business sometimes requires a bit of recklessness from the pilot to get the needed shot. Very early, in 2012 I believe, I experienced a pretty bad flyaway of a 15-pound octo because of a rushed preflight check. Thankfully, no one was hurt except the drone. After this incident, I developed extra cautious approach to flying, and insisted on strictly obeying rules ever since, especially when piloting large drones (and all were large, the smallest of them the Inspire 2). This kind of attitude on my part was not conducive to our business, in the long run. So, despite the fact that I rebuilt the octo, flew it and many other drones afterwards and never had a single accident since, my "professional career", or at least a significant chapter of it, came to an end. (I still have my Part 107 license, though).

For a year since the business ended I thought I would never want to touch another drone in my life. Then Mavic Mini was announced. Suddenly I realized I wanted that thing. It would let me to enjoy piloting a drone again, like many years ago, without worrying of hurting someone badly or losing a ton of money in an accident. So I bought it and flew it for a week. Then I modified it quite extensively (I enjoy building even more than piloting). Old habits die hard, I guess. Now my Mini has carbon fiber arms, front LEDs, weighs 12 grams less than original, consistently flies for 30+ minutes and is much more wind-resistant. If there is interest, I will describe the mod in the appropriate section of the forum. Recently I got myself another Mavic, an Air 2, which is not yet modded, but will be more likely than not.

So, this is the portion of my background that I think might be relevant here. To conclude the self-intro, I will add that I live in East Northport NY, USA, am 49 years old, and that English is my second language.

Attachments

• mmmod.jpg
    mmmod.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 23
Welcome! Those light look fantastic, and now on my list ;) . I may be wrong, but didnt you put the back "arms" higher to match the front ones?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! ? Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. Nice mod to the MM, look forward to your MA2 mod. You will find all sorts of support and assistance here. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Thank you all! This welcome is very heart warming. I am looking forward to participate in this forum (it seems full of nice and knowledgeable people) and share my thoughts and experience where appropriate. I can already see there is some interest in my Mini mod (even though there must be a very small number of people who actually read "new member" posts, speaking from experience ;)) So I will definitely post it in Mini Mods section, just not sure when.

Those light look fantastic, and now on my list ;) . I may be wrong, but didnt you put the back "arms" higher to match the front ones?

The lights are actually an afterthought, a "why not" sort of thing. Added only half a gram and about two hours to install. As for the rear arms -- yes, good eye Thumbswayup I arrived at this configuration after many days of testing. I promise to give a detailed explanation and reasoning behind (when I have time), in Mini Mods section.

Nicely done, how long before you get asked how much to mod my Mini ? ?

Don't know, never been there before ? It took me about two months to finalize the mod, although most of that time was spent testing different configurations.

Thanks again, everyone. I will see you in the forum.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi again!

For those who are interested, I have posted the description of my mod. As a new member, I am not sure if I chose the right section of the forum, though. There is another section, far more popular it seems, called "Mavic Hardware Mods". I find it a bit confusing.

Should I have posted there instead?

WELCOME to the forum :)

Greetings, everyone.

After reading this forum for years, I finally decided to join, mostly because I currently own 2 Mavic - branded drones and sometimes would like to join in certain discussions, not just read them. A self-introduction follows...

I consider myself an experienced RC builder, UAV pilot and photographer, and also an amateur programmer. I have been in RC hobby for 12 years, designing and building planes, cars, boats, walking and balancing robots, VTOLs, multirotors of all shapes, and even some unorthodox camera gimbals (including what I believe to be the very first 360 stabilized camera platform). For 7 years I had an aerial videography business with a partner, who was/is a professional videographer. I was in charge of "all things technical". Unfortunately, this kind of business sometimes requires a bit of recklessness from the pilot to get the needed shot. Very early, in 2012 I believe, I experienced a pretty bad flyaway of a 15-pound octo because of a rushed preflight check. Thankfully, no one was hurt except the drone. After this incident, I developed extra cautious approach to flying, and insisted on strictly obeying rules ever since, especially when piloting large drones (and all were large, the smallest of them the Inspire 2). This kind of attitude on my part was not conducive to our business, in the long run. So, despite the fact that I rebuilt the octo, flew it and many other drones afterwards and never had a single accident since, my "professional career", or at least a significant chapter of it, came to an end. (I still have my Part 107 license, though).

For a year since the business ended I thought I would never want to touch another drone in my life. Then Mavic Mini was announced. Suddenly I realized I wanted that thing. It would let me to enjoy piloting a drone again, like many years ago, without worrying of hurting someone badly or losing a ton of money in an accident. So I bought it and flew it for a week. Then I modified it quite extensively (I enjoy building even more than piloting). Old habits die hard, I guess. Now my Mini has carbon fiber arms, front LEDs, weighs 12 grams less than original, consistently flies for 30+ minutes and is much more wind-resistant. If there is interest, I will describe the mod in the appropriate section of the forum. Recently I got myself another Mavic, an Air 2, which is not yet modded, but will be more likely than not.

So, this is the portion of my background that I think might be relevant here. To conclude the self-intro, I will add that I live in East Northport NY, USA, am 49 years old, and that English is my second language.
Welcome to the forum from sunny New Zealand. Sounds like you'll have experience to contribute. Happy flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun