DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Member from Ohio

Sayen_CroWolf

Reactions
Hi there, Just an introduction as suggested.

I'm new to drones, complete rookie. My friends got me the MM2 after they'd heard me suggesting getting one. I have 400 acres out here and unfortunately in the middle of nowhere dog fight rings abandon dogs on my property all the time. I take them in, foster them and try and find them homes (not a business, just a dog lover. There's no money changing hands.) My having the MM2 is an easier way to check the property than constant scouting.

After a few flights, I'm hooked and Santa also brought me the MA2. I'm a photographer by hobby and this is totally a new area for me. MM2 for the dogs and home. MA2 for off property and my artistic endeavors.

No mistake though, I am a rookie at ALL of this. I'll put my knowledge level at 2 out of 10 (I'm giving myself a couple points for having successful flights and not running into anything) so I'll probably have more questions than contributions. Have patience with me while I learn my way around here.

Thanks - Daniel (Sayen_CroWolf)

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum from a fellow dog lover. Sounds like you’re doing good things looking after our faithful friends.

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum from a fellow dog lover. Sounds like you’re doing good things looking after our faithful friends.
Trying my best. Right now I have a total of 18 dogs; 5 pets and 13 that were thrown away on property. We remodeled one of the barns and some of the horse paddocks are now proper BIG dog kennels, a play area, and one side is for isolation until the vet gets out here. 99 percent of them get thrown away here and have kennel cough or worse issues so they have to go to iso until it's under control.

My first drone flight I found the last dog I took in. There's a few common hiding spots and I saw paw prints in the new snow so I knew we had another one. This is a LOT better than me roaring up on them with an ATV. That right there? Totally sold me on the value of having one. Once I get my legs under me better the MA2 will be for off property and what kind of videography/photography I can create. Either way, happy to have them and be here :)

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Sayen_CroWolf

Nice to meet you Daniel ?

Congratulations on the Mavics and THANK YOU for having the heart to look after mans best friends. It sickens me when people abuse animals when all they want is love.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome, Daniel, from a fellow Ohioan. :)

Your mileage may vary, but for my sister's two adopted shelter dogs, chasing my drones has become their chiefest joy in life. Interest in the drones came first to the one dog, then the other. By now, both dogs are obsessed with the drones. If the dogs and their humans are visiting, the dogs constantly nudge me and pointedly turn toward the drones until I fly. Or they run over to where the drone shelf is, bark at the drone, then turn to me and wag their tails. They're telling me something, right? When I reach for the drone, they go nuts with excitement.

To watch these dogs chase the drone in flight, barking and leaping into the air with abandon, seems like witnessing pure dog joy--I love to see it, as has everyone who's witnessed it. I fly just above the height they can jump, mostly in sport mode, and the dogs chase endlessly. It usually takes three drone batteries to wear the dogs out, after which they sleep like rugs until the next day. Then, their energy refreshed, they start again at nudging me and pointing at the drone.

I used to be concerned about potentially hurting the dogs, but the bigger dog has caught my MM and MA2 one time each. Fortunately, neither dog nor drone was much worse for the experience: The dog immediately let the drone go as soon as the drone seemed, I assume, in her view, to "bite." Careful inspection of the dog showed no real damage--in the worse case, a couple shallow cuts that briefly dripped blood, which then ceased bleeding quickly. And within a few seconds, the dog expressed strong interest in putting the incident behind her and resuming the drone chase.

Also, the dog seems to have learned that the drone can "bite back," and since, she endeavors to "almost" catch it. This involves skilled jumps, but with intention (as it appears to me) to miss the drone by about a foot.

As to the joy apparent in the dogs--no words can express this. I wouldn't deprive them of it this activety for the world--their pleasure from it seeming so powerful.

Daniel, no way to know if your dogs will get into this, but if they do, I predict that both you and your dogs will love it. And the dogs will get great exercise, and sleep well after. Then beg you to repeat droning them the next day. :)

Cheers,

--Jub

Last edited:
Every one of them is SO damaged both physically and mentally if I just turned them to the city kennels they'd never get adopted and likely get put down and I could never live with myself. I don't know how the dog fighters got turned on to my property way TF out here but they did. I've got the space, the means and time so presto! This is apparently what I'm supposed to do. Because I've got so much space I wanted an easier way to check the ground for some of them and my buddies chipped in for the MM2. Did all my readings, watched the vids, and my first flight I found one? Oh, yeah. I was hooked right there.

Welcome Fellow Buckeye!! Is that Perry as in North Canton? :)
Welcome, Daniel, from a fellow Ohioan. :)

Your mileage may vary, but for my sister's two adopted shelter dogs, chasing my drones has become their chiefest joy in life. Interest in the drones came first to the one dog, then the other. By now, both dogs are obsessed with the drones. If the dogs and their humans are visiting, the dogs constantly nudge me and pointedly turn toward the drones until I fly. Or they run over to where the drone shelf is, bark at the drone, then turn to me and wag their tails. They're telling me something, right? When I reach for the drone, they go nuts with excitement.

To watch these dogs chase the drone in flight, barking and leaping into the air with abandon, seems like witnessing pure dog joy--I love to see it, as has everyone who's witnessed it. I fly just above the height they can jump, mostly in sport mode, and the dogs chase endlessly. It usually takes three drone batteries to wear the dogs out, after which they sleep like rugs until the next day. Then, their energy refreshed, they start again at nudging me and pointing at the drone.

I used to be concerned about potentially hurting the dogs, but the bigger dog has caught my MM and MA2 one time each. Fortunately, neither dog nor drone was much worse for the experience: The dog immediately let the drone go as soon as the drone seemed, I assume, in her view, to "bite." Careful inspection of the dog showed no real damage--in the worse case, a couple shallow cuts that briefly dripped blood, which then ceased bleeding quickly. And within a few seconds, the dog expressed strong interest in putting the incident behind her and resuming the drone chase.

Also, the dog seems to have learned that the drone can "bite back," and since, she endeavors to "almost" catch it. This involves skilled jumps, but with intention (as it appears to me) to miss the drone by about a foot.

As to the joy apparent in the dogs--no words can express this. I wouldn't deprive them of it this activety for the world--their pleasure from it seeming so powerful.

Daniel, no way to know if your dogs will get into this, but if they do, I predict that both you and your dogs will love it. And the dogs will get great exercise, and sleep well after. Then beg you to repeat droning them the next day. :)

Cheers,

--Jub
That is an awesome idea LOL. I take my pet dogs and the abandoned ones out in a pack daily for exercise; out here I don't have to worry about leashes or other humans getting in the way so that's an idea for my to-do list in the future. I need to log some more flight hours and get my intuition levels up on the controls before I'll be trying this one. I'm sure more than a few of them will love it.

Thanks I appreciate that. You just don't wanna know some of the horror that's been done to these babies. If I ever met any of their abusers I'd be hitting you guys up for my bail money

Hi Sayen_CroWolf Welcome to Mavic Pilots, good of you to look after the dogs.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual’s ;)
Download Mini 2 manual HERE
Download Air 2 manual HERE
Most of all have FUN

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

WELCOME to the forum :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143