DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member MA2 questions

bones1

Reactions
Hi, this is my first post. This forum seems awesome, and full of great info.
My first question is Am I doing something wrong that all of my flight videos, are being divided into segments of 4:51 minutes/seconds. I’m using a 128gb Sandisc card. Do I have a setting wrong?
Also there are coding formats H:264 and 265. Which is correct and best to use.
Where on the Fly app screen when flying, is the camera options like circle me, follow particular subject, 8k hyper, etc. I don’t see the button? Can you select these during flight.
Also, sun glare! Is there a common fix for this. I have an iPhone 11. The glare is horrible even with screen turned up to max brightness.
Would an iPad be better, if you can even use one?
Okay, I have tons of questions, but I will not let this drag on further in this post. Thanks for your help.
I am upgrading from a HS720E. OMG, this is like going from a Taurus, to a Porsche 911. Flies like a dream. I havnt even really broken it in yet, with 5 flights. But I can’t wait to get the most out of this thing. Simply awesome!

My first question is Am I doing something wrong that all of my flight videos, are being divided into segments of 4:51 minutes/seconds. I’m using a 128gb Sandisc card. Do I have a setting wrong?
Where on the Fly app screen when flying, is the camera options like circle me, follow particular subject, 8k hyper, etc. I don’t see the button? Can you select these during flight.
Also, sun glare! Is there a common fix for this. I have an iPhone 11. The glare is horrible even with screen turned up to max brightness.
Okay, I have tons of questions, but I will not let this drag on further in this post. Thanks for your help.
I am upgrading from a HS720E. OMG, this is like going from a Taurus, to a Porsche 911. Flies like a dream. I havnt even really broken it in yet, with 5 flights. But I can’t wait to get the most out of this thing. Simply awesome!
Welcome to the Air 2 Family , Excitement brings adventure.

Stay with 264 , Remember to Scroll through the Options as many of the Icons are hidden .
Sun Glare is always going to be an issue unless you get a Hood and Ipad or Smart Controller better options,.

Highly Recommend the Smart Controller for ease of use and investment for a Mavic 2 as it works with many Drones
Remember to use the Search as many of these Topics have fresh threads.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

I too just bought an MA2, having never owned a drone of any description before. I also have lots of questions and was considering a thread like this so can't blame you.

I notice that the segments video issue has been more widely discussed here.

There are concise instructions on how to use different camera settings in the MA2 manual but also lots of tutorials made by hobbyists on Youtube.

Also, it appears that DJI actually sell a monitor hood to help with the screen glare.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
My first question is Am I doing something wrong that all of my flight videos, are being divided into segments of 4:51 minutes/seconds. I’m using a 128gb Sandisc card. Do I have a setting wrong? » probably You should read your manual and look at all the options in the app itself
Also there are coding formats H:264 and 265. Which is correct and best to use. « 264 is fine
Where on the Fly app screen when flying, is the camera options like circle me, follow particular subject, 8k hyper, etc. I don’t see the button? Can you select these during flight. « yes you can select during flight . Select the photograph option to open the menu
Also, sun glare! Is there a common fix for this. I have an iPhone 11. The glare is horrible even with screen turned up to max brightness » yes .,buy a sun hood or buy the Tripletek tablet
Would an iPad be better, if you can even use one? » same glare issue ..it all depends on the NIT rating of the device you are using.

the real problem is the bit in red tho mate..sorry ... please do some homework on your kit either through this forum and the huge number of YouTube videos on all of the things you asked about ..

welcome to the forum

I too just bought an MA2, having never owned a drone of any description before. I also have lots of questions and was considering a thread like this so can't blame you.

I notice that the segments video issue has been more widely discussed here.

There are concise instructions on how to use different camera settings in the MA2 manual but also lots of tutorials made by hobbyists on Youtube.

Also, it appears that DJI actually sell a monitor hood to help with the screen glare.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the link.

Reactions: tsd1984
Am I doing something wrong that all of my flight videos, are being divided into segments of 4:51 minutes/seconds. I’m using a 128gb Sandisc card. Do I have a setting wrong?
MA2 formats in exFAT which only allows 4GB files. The video will cut off around 3.67GB and begin a new file. You shouldn't lose any data. You may want to use a lower resolution/fps combo if you are making long videos. For 4k videos you probably want to set up your shots and then film for 30-60 seconds or so at a time. Later you can use software to put together your final production.

H264 is best until you know why you might want H265.

MA2 is a popular drone and there are thousands of videos and threads about it. There is also a manual which is at version 1.4. You'll need to put in some research time if you want to make the most of your MA2.

Unlike FAT, exFat does not have a 4G file size limit. I'm not sure why the drone manufacturers, (several) have set this limit, but it may be because some people actually use cards formatted in FAT.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Even with the file size limit, its ultimately irrelevant. when you drop the files into your favorite video editor, they merge seamlessly and you can save off a single much larger (or maybe smaller) file in whatever format your editor creates. It's not an issue.. its just the way it works.

Course if you want an interesting video, you're going to edit it down to some reasonable length that people would want to watch, not all your hovering, in-route video or whatever else that you captured before getting to the intended subject(s) of the video.

Refreshing to see another newbie! I lurk like crazy here, trying to absorb everything I can. I"m just learning to fly the thing, and then I'll try to learn a bit more about the photography aspects...It's one hell of a curve, either way!

Good luck!

Hi bud welcome to the forum there are some guys on here that really know their stuff, your questions will be answered or just do a search

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

I have found that some of the "older" video / picture software tools won't / don't support H265 - at least not yet. Since I'm not a videographer type - no idea what either format really entails. I tried H265 with Adobe Lightroom 6 and it does not like it at all. So, went back to H264 and works fine.

In video - a lot of people fly and use 4k. If that's you - that's your choice, yet in the end - when you post to many sites like FB, MeWe, etc - your video will not be 4k for others to watch - due to their compression algorithms, So, it's best to shoot in a lower mode - i.e. 2.7k or even 1080p at about 24/25 fps 0 UNLESS you are a commercial pilot and your client wants 4k files. Even when I video at 4k (seldom) - I keep most of my video's in the 1-2 minute mark - as others stated, most of what you video will be edited out anyway. Yet, you never know what you may see along the way that you did not see when flying. That happens ALL the time when I'm reviewing my footage and pictures. If you shoot at 1080p at 25fps, your file size is going to be like 1/3 of that of 4k / 25fps. With that smaller file size, you probably won't run into the issue with it cutting off and starting up a new file. Also, 1080p does have 2-4x digital zoom, which 2.7 or 4k only have up to 2x. For newbies whom are still getting used to flying and NOT wanting to crash into trees / etc. - 4x is a nice tool to have for getting closer shots and longer range out. 4x does increase grain, esp in lower light conditions - so play with those zoom settings to find a sweet spot. Also on 1080p - there is a slider bar, so you can go in 1/10th increments from 1-4x. So, if 4x is not to your liking, you can adjust down to 2.5x or whatever to get closer while staying further away.

Great videos - too many really - on Youtube about ALL the cool features of your MA2. Watch as many as you can. Most are very helpful, while some are redundant - to be expected.

DJI also offers a "flight simulator" download for practicing your skills while not flying and possibly crashing your drone for real.

Welcome aboard and keep on flying!

Enjoy it, I´m at the other end off the tunnel, I have had mine for a couple of months now I went from a Parrot to an Air 2, the difference is really is gob smacking (Bloxwich for a lot) .
  • Stay on H:264
  • Get your self a ipad, an ipad holder (aluminium not plastic)and a shade of the interweb, loads of them available, flying becomes much, much better especially if you are doing a bit of "so far away that you cant really see the drone" flying, they get very small very quick!
  • Fly screen app; there are loads of videos out there done by people who know and they will show you via a video much better that I can explain in words but it is very easy
Another bit of advice, get Davinchi Resolve for you editing, wipes the floor with all the rest AND its free

Fly around, have a look and then film

Welcome and enjoy!

Reactions: anotherlab
Sorry i did not read all the comments.Maybey someone else had the same idee. But i use a lcd loupe bought on amazon. it is a plastic kind of atube with a magnifier ,loupe, in it. it preven the sun comming in on your lcd display of your phone. for me it works very well. they use it mostly on a photo camera look for the biggest measurements.

Resolution: I shoot 4K video on both my MA2 and my Osmo Action, though I use DaVinci Resolve to generate 1080p video. This lets me zoom in a bit if I like without loosing quality. I like the dynamic zoom feature of Resolve.

In the sun, I use an inexpensive sun shield I got somewhere. Maybe from DJI store or Amazon. You catch a shot of it at beginning and end of my video here:

Hi, Yes the videos are divided and it's actually nice because too large a file is hard to deal with on some computers. When you rae editing them it is not a problem. 264 is more typical and most editors, etc have no problem. 265 you need to check your editor to be sure it is compatible. You don't say which Mavic 2 you are talking about Pro, Zoom, Enterprise but I use the Litchi App almost exclusively now since it is a nicer GUI and has better features. I do use DJI sometimes but less and less. I use an Ipad Mini 5, just the right size and I don't have issues seeing the screen unless you are in direct sunlight. Much better than a phone and you don't tie up your phone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett