DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Member/Owner. Some Questions

Stewh

Reactions
Hi Everyone,
I recently bought a Mavic Air, and although it flies like a dream (I've been an ROV Pilot for 36 Years), the most annoying thing is that I can't see the screen on my Huawei P10 when outside, even with the screen on max. brightness and added contrast. I've found quite a lot of sunshades on Amazon, but it would seem that they get in the way of the controller joysticks, i.e. make it difficult to operate the sticks? Opinions please?

I've also been looking at collapsible landing pads, and once again, many to choose from. I'd like one that's weighted so that it won't move/blow away when on a hard surface. Any recommendations please?

And finally for now; I'm considering buying a mini-tablet for the larger screen. On one of the many Youtube videos I've watched over the last week the ipad mini 4 seems to be recommended, and fits the controller. However I don't buy or use Apple products, so I wonder if anyone is successfully using an Android mini-pad?

Many thanks in advance for replies. I'm based in the UK and Tenerife.

Stewart

I've also been looking at collapsible landing pads, and once again, many to choose from. I'd like one that's weighted so that it won't move/blow away when on a hard surface. Any recommendations please?

Haven't had a chance to use it yet but picked up this Landing Pad from Amazon. I didn't go with the LED lit one but other then that, it's the same. Fairly good weight (and from reviews doesn't appear t get blown around from prop wash or normal winds. Comes with ground stakes for higher winds if required. Collapses nice but if you're looking for something to go in a smaller bag it may not be ideal.

And finally for now; I'm considering buying a mini-tablet for the larger screen. On one of the many Youtube videos I've watched over the last week the ipad mini 4 seems to be recommended, and fits the controller. However I don't buy or use Apple products, so I wonder if anyone is successfully using an Android mini-pad?
In an Android flavour, the Huawei M3 and M5 8 inch tablets work at least as well as any iPad (and don't seem to have the overheating issues).
They are also better priced.

I have same problem with my Moto G6 phone being too dark. I bought THIS sunshade and couldn't be happier. $7 and it fits in the side pocket of the Fly More Combo soft case. I am surprised by how much easier it is to see the phone screen with such an obviously simple solution.

Samsung Tab A works fine. Turn Cache off when flying.

I have same problem with my Moto G6 phone being too dark. I bought THIS sunshade and couldn't be happier. $7 and it fits in the side pocket of the Fly More Combo soft case. I am surprised by how much easier it is to see the phone screen with such an obviously simple solution.
Does that sun shade interfere with reaching/operating your joysticks ?

When I first started, i used the landing pad, but now I just hand catch. Usually I use the case for takeoff

First off a BIG WELCOME to the Forum from the Sunshine State of Florida! #2 I am not an apple person as well but I bought a 9.7 inch iPad with cellular and it works perfectly. I don't use it for anything else except the drone. I also use a shade on it.

Hi Everyone,
I recently bought a Mavic Air, and although it flies like a dream (I've been an ROV Pilot for 36 Years), the most annoying thing is that I can't see the screen on my Huawei P10 when outside, even with the screen on max. brightness and added contrast. I've found quite a lot of sunshades on Amazon, but it would seem that they get in the way of the controller joysticks, i.e. make it difficult to operate the sticks? Opinions please?

Stewart
Im using an older model lenovo tab 3 8plus & it runs like a charm. Should be cheap to pick a new one.

Hi Everyone,

Stewart
I bought an iPad mini 5 just for my MA. Having never owned a mini4 for comparison the 5 has a new faster processor. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I bought an iPad mini 5 just for my MA. Having never owned a mini4 for comparison the 5 has a new faster processor. I have no complaints whatsoever.
Just curious which one you have.
Best Buy has one with 64GB for $399.99
WalMart has one with 256GB for $519.00

Reactions: ARam55

I've used iOS hardware, so I can't objectively comment about Android systems. I've tried iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 2, and wouldn't recommend either because they are under-powered to the point of being unusable. About a year ago, I bought a new iPad (2018 version) and everything was great, though it is a bit large; in that sense the iPad Mini is a more convenient size. I currently use my iPhone 8, though I wish it was a bit larger....Mini 5 would be a better choice, but I don't fly enough to justify another tablet.

I've never seen a mobile device that had a display that was good in direct sunlight, so a shade is certainly helpful. I have one that attaches by slipping the sides of the phone into the side shades, but it doesn't work when the phone is in a case. I have a Catalyst waterproof case, and don't want to be constantly removing/reinstalling. I have yet to find a shade that will work for me...for now, I try to stand in a shady spot, or at least block using my body.

Landing pads - great idea - I have a fold-up type that's made of vinyl covered cardboard. When I fly from my yard, I have a glass patio table that's about 48" diameter - solid as a rock, and certainly doesn't need to be staked into the ground. Away from home, I just hand launch, and land on my palm. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

I have a Mav-mount knock off by Neewer & use a Galaxy Tab 2 with a PGYTECH hood. You can use a iPad mini or smaller tablet as well. but I love the 9.7" view. You should use something dedicated, a phone for example, receiving a call will go over your flight app. Best thing to do is disable or uninstall any unnecessary apps because the DJI likes a lot of elbow room. Secondly run the phone or tablet in Airplane mode, providing of course you're using the otg cable. If you're using wifi, turn off bluetooth & "forget" all saved wifi connections. For example in my case, I have Optimum as my cable provider and that gives me access to millions of wifi hotspots all over the Island. You don't want your phone or tablet suddenly switching to a wifi hotspot.
Hi Everyone,

Stewart

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121