DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini 2 owner, using Samsung 8" SM-T290 will I need to use Data to fly ?

Temblor

Reactions
New Mini 2 owner, Can I fly without cell Data ? & Updates ?
I currently own an original DJI FC40.. P3P and a P4/ using Nexus 7 (which has built in GPS)
And A Gopro Quad.
All of them I flew without data & therefore up-dates to fly. Never had a problem with any of them.
(except I did update the gopro pre-flight, but flew without data)
I fly private & restriction-free lands only.

I have read the Nexus 7 will NOT be compatible with the Mini2?
So I bought a Samsung SM-T290 which does NOT have GPS?
So.. Will it be possible for me to fly with no data? (off-grid) with a Mini2?
using a Samsung 8" SM-T290 without data? without updates?

Reactions: tlswift58
New Mini 2 owner, Can I fly without cell Data ? & Updates ?
I currently own an original DJI FC40.. P3P and a P4/ using Nexus 7 (which has built in GPS)
And A Gopro Quad.
All of them I flew without data & therefore up-dates to fly. Never had a problem with any of them.
(except I did update the gopro pre-flight, but flew without data)
I fly private & restriction-free lands only.

I have read the Nexus 7 will NOT be compatible with the Mini2?
So I bought a Samsung SM-T290 which does NOT have GPS?
So.. Will it be possible for me to fly with no data? (off-grid) with a Mini2?
using a Samsung 8" SM-T290 without data? without updates?
My Lenovo M10 Tablet is wi-fi only. NO ISSUES when flying. I do check updates and such when at home on my home wi-fi and works fine. Won't be updating to FlyApp 1.4.0 till DJI fixes the bugs in it. My current 1.3.X works great on my tablet.

My Lenovo M10 Tablet is wi-fi only. NO ISSUES when flying. I do check updates and such when at home on my home wi-fi and works fine. Won't be updating to FlyApp 1.4.0 till DJI fixes the bugs in it. My current 1.3.X works great on my tablet.
I just got Mini 2 yesterday unfortunately I just side loaded app, so I had no choice ? to get 1.4.0?
What to expect?
I am going to try my Oneplus 8 pro phone.. I read on one site that it lists it as being compatible.. but on the DJI official list they have the 7 & 9 but NOT the 8?
Also I might want to try the Samsung T290 8" 2019 are there any issues with 1.4 on either of these?
Anyone know of a good solution adaptor for using Samsung A tab 2019 ? ?

Last edited:
sure. Just update when you have wifi.
I have been reluctant to update any of my drones, unless they were mandatory.. or I had issues and wanted to fix them..
Are the updates on Mini 2 Mandatory?
Can I fly without Updating?
I never use cellular data service when I fly.. So when my P4 asks me to update for instance I just close the message & fly..
Can I do that with Mini 2?

I just got Mini 2 yesterday unfortunately I just side loaded app, so I had no choice ? to get 1.4.0?
What to expect?
I am going to try my Oneplus 8 pro phone.. I read on one site that it lists it as being compatible.. but on the DJI official list they have the 7 & 9 but NOT the 8?
Also I might want to try the Samsung T290 8" 2019 are there any issues with 1.4 on either of these?
Anyone know of a good solution adaptor for using Samsung A tab 2019 ? ?
From the threads on 1.4.0 - it seems to have nothing to do with the tablet / phone you are using. Also seems to be issues with Air2 and not the Mini2 as well - as most of the "changes" were directly for the Air2S.

Best thing you can do - first 3-5 flights - keep close watch and see if anything weird may happen and KEEP CLOSE. If nothing abnormal happens - then go have A LOT OF FUN. I have an Air2 and not the 2S, so I'm not going to upgrade any time soon. When the tablet or phone is connected to wi-fi - I simply ignore / deny the UPDATE request and go fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka