DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini Pro 4- should I go DJI Care route?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all,

As above, I have my new Mini Pro 4 and haven't unboxed it yet. Would you recommend going the DJI Care route in case I lose / crash it or something more specific?

...and since there is a substantial discount, I would even go with the 2-year plan.

I would not buy a new drone without the care refresh deal.......the guy across the street from me bought his daughter the mini4 pro for her birthday a few months ago....he had asked me for some information on drones, and I recommended the care refresh for whatever he decided...he cheaped out and did not get it....she lives right at the Ocean and got whales and dolphins on her first flight...on her second flight she was getting some surfers and then birds came into the picture, knocked the drone out of the air, and then attacked it on the ground....it cost over $400 to get it fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you recommend going the DJI Care route in case I lose / crash it or something more specific?
It depends.

What are you planning on doing with your drone? Where will you be flying? For example, if you'll only be flying in wide open areas with no obstacles in the area, then you'll be less likely to get into a situation where you crash/lose your drone.

If you don't get DJI Care Refresh, are you comfortable repairing/replacing out of pocket? If not, DJI Care Refresh would likely be a smart buy for you.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Yes tor your question.

I didn't get it with my M4P - but having bought a big expensive EUC only a little while before it, funds were a little low at the time of purchase, and we'll see if that comes back to bite me ! I also took into account my 11 years of remote pilot (and general DJI) XP when deciding, and I believe that I am a careful, diligent pilot on the whole, so it was something of a measured risk not to get it - I should be able to avoid the various 'new pilot traps' that await the uninitiated ! So far I am 50 (or so) flights in with no crashes or problems so far, (bar the little mishap below), which I should mention because we can maybe learn something from it !

On day 2 of learning-the-craft / test flights with the M4P, at the end of a flight my M4P told me its IMU needed calibration, and surprised by this I tried that 'in the field' so to speak, forgot that I needed to rotate the craft several times for that to complete, causing it to indefinitely pause at 95%, at which point idiot me decided that if I rebooted it and didn't get the message again it 'might be fine' ! :/

It wasn't fine, and although there was no further message, and I could take off OK, as soon as we started moving we began the inevitable pendulum sway of death that you get with IMU miscalibration, but fortunately sense and XP had kicked back in by then so I was ready to just wait til it was over long grass and kill motors from 1 ft above ground, saving the craft for another day. My point being that even tho my 11 years of XP saved me from an expensive repair, it notably didn't stop me making the error in the first place. Touch wood I haven't done anything similarly stupid since !

But I think I do have to admit; If I'd had a surfeit of cash at the time I bought the craft I would have got DJI refresh. When work picks up again I may consider coverdrone insurance, which isn't as seamless as the DJ experience, but is available from any start point, and similarly priced.

Last edited:
If you're new to the game and are still on the learning curve: 100% YES.

If you are reasonably confident with about 12 months experience: yes, but lower case... it is still a good idea.

If you're used to getting all Blue Peter with fixing fiddly stuff and a careful flier: perhaps...

Expect the unexpected - no matter how careful you are: it will always catch you out at some point or another and all of us only get so many free bites at the 'dumb luck' apple.