DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Owner

Hi everyone,

I am new to the drone world.

After spending an entire day watching YouTube on different drones, I decided to buy a Mavic Mini Fly More Combo.

As I’m waiting for it to be delivered, what are some great tips and advice for someone like me?

Thanks everyone!
Matt

Welcome to the MavicPilots forum and also to the world of droning.

The best advice to start you off, is for you to read the complete manual front to back, at least a couple of times.

Mavic Mini User Manual

Stay safe and happy droning!

Download the manual now so you have something to read before it comes and then spend another day watching videos on you tube specific to the MM. :D I also own a MM and love it. Don't be too quick to progress to sport mode after the initial training mode. Ensure your phone will work with this drone, I had to upgrade to a 64 GB (my old Samsung just wasn't up to it) and make sure you have an SD card that will work, a good fast one. If unsure check out the DJI webpage for recommended phones and SD cards that all work. Another tip, download the free UAV Forecast app, this will tell you when it's good to fly or not. A great app and very accurate. Sometimes looking out the window isn't enough, it's also good to know if you'll have sufficient satellites to lock onto for a good GPS connection and this app will tell you everything needed to fly safe. Have a good time flying when it comes.

May I add here that the forum provides a great resource of Do's and Dont's. Spend some time going through the MM-related posts here.

As mentioned before, read thoroughly the manual and start off by making baby steps when it comes to flying by trying to familiarise yourself with the controls and the app.

Happy flying and safe landings ;)

Download the manual now so you have something to read before it comes and then spend another day watching videos on you tube specific to the MM. :D I also own a MM and love it. Don't be too quick to progress to sport mode after the initial training mode. Ensure your phone will work with this drone, I had to upgrade to a 64 GB (my old Samsung just wasn't up to it) and make sure you have an SD card that will work, a good fast one. If unsure check out the DJI webpage for recommended phones and SD cards that all work. Another tip, download the free UAV Forecast app, this will tell you when it's good to fly or not. A great app and very accurate. Sometimes looking out the window isn't enough, it's also good to know if you'll have sufficient satellites to lock onto for a good GPS connection and this app will tell you everything needed to fly safe. Have a good time flying when it comes.

John,

Thanks for all this awesome information!

I just ordered a 64G Sandisk Extreme.

My current phone is an iPhone XS MAX. Hope this is sufficient.

I will download that app now.

Also, do you have any recommendations on any type of editing software? I have a MacBook Pro but also have access to windows if need be.

Thanks again!
Matt

Download the manual and read it... did someone say that already? ? :) Seriously, there's a lot of useful information in there, and it will really help you understand how the drone will behave.

Fly low and slow to start with until you get to understand the controls and settings.

Also, don't set your expectations unrealistically high as to what a small light drone can do, particularly regarding flying in wind. The Mini is a very capable drone for what it is so you can easily fly too far/high with it in inappropriate conditions and soon get into trouble.

John,

Thanks for all this awesome information!

I just ordered a 64G Sandisk Extreme.

My current phone is an iPhone XS MAX. Hope this is sufficient.

I will download that app now.

Also, do you have any recommendations on any type of editing software? I have a MacBook Pro but also have access to windows if need be.

Thanks again!
Matt
Hi, no Problem you're welcome. I just saw someone else answered about if your phone is compatible and if they say it works then great. It's on the list do should do. As for editing, cant really help with that sorry, not experienced enough I do basic editing from the fly app which you'll download to operate the mini. It works great with cropping, adding music and effects and you can upload to social media straight from the app. Good luck and enjoy. Happy landings.

Welcome buddy

Learn to crawl before you can walk ! Start low and get used to it.
Download UAV Forecast
Practice practice practice
Don't attempt a range test on your first flight and then ask why you lost your MM
watch more youtube videos
read the manual again, and again, and again
sign up to airdata.com so you can download your flights and learn from your own mistakes
don't take the cage off until you're ready- and put it back on if you're flying in a confined space or near trees
record all your footage from your first few flights and watch it back over and over and over
oh, and enjoy it- you'll love it !!!!

You've got a MAC and you're asking about editing software... Is that a trick question?!!

As a new MM owner and drone pilot, I agree with all the suggestions given. One thing I can add is on the UAV Forecast app, set the wind altitude to 100ft and gusts to 15 mph. I had a scary "runaway drone" issue due to basing my feeling I was OK flying at 100ft on ground level winds being light. Thanks to all the videos I watched before receiving my drone, I knew what to do (first is not to panic!) and was able to bring the bird home. Also, I've left the prop guards on until I feel very comfortable flying. Having the guards on limits the height and distance the drone will fly, which eliminates any early cockiness for this newbie ;-)

Welcome buddy

Learn to crawl before you can walk ! Start low and get used to it.
Download UAV Forecast
Practice practice practice
Don't attempt a range test on your first flight and then ask why you lost your MM
watch more youtube videos
read the manual again, and again, and again
sign up to airdata.com so you can download your flights and learn from your own mistakes
don't take the cage off until you're ready- and put it back on if you're flying in a confined space or near trees
record all your footage from your first few flights and watch it back over and over and over
oh, and enjoy it- you'll love it !!!!

You've got a MAC and you're asking about editing software... Is that a trick question?!!

This is awesome information! Thank you so much for all this advice!

As for the editing question, no it is not a trick question lol. I’m a former PC guy who’s converted to Mac so I have no clue lol

As a new MM owner and drone pilot, I agree with all the suggestions given. One thing I can add is on the UAV Forecast app, set the wind altitude to 100ft and gusts to 15 mph. I had a scary "runaway drone" issue due to basing my feeling I was OK flying at 100ft on ground level winds being light. Thanks to all the videos I watched before receiving my drone, I knew what to do (first is not to panic!) and was able to bring the bird home. Also, I've left the prop guards on until I feel very comfortable flying. Having the guards on limits the height and distance the drone will fly, which eliminates any early cockiness for this newbie ;-)

Super great advice on the UAV Forecast app! I adjusted to these settings. Thanks! I will definitely be using the prop guards for a bit, that’s for sure.

This is awesome information! Thank you so much for all this advice!

As for the editing question, no it is not a trick question lol. I’m a former PC guy who’s converted to Mac so I have no clue lol

I'm a windows guy :(
Was under the impression mac's came with all singing all dancing editing software built in, I could be wrong and may well end up learning something new today!

Reactions: MattJohns11812
I have watched loads of videos on YouTube from how to work the app to range tests as well as reading about problems on this forum. Is there anything in the manual that is hidden an I should know?

Reactions: MattJohns11812
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d