DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot from Essex, England

SKY808

Reactions
Hi!

Thank you for allowing me to sign up.

I am a creative, and have bought a Mavic Pro (my first UAV) for pleasure, but will monetise my footage, using it for work purposes. I already create video and am a photographer / illustrator / designer.

I have read up as much as I can and it seems I need to go official and get tuition, and get the CAA approval here in UK (£1500 or so, and £150 or so a year).

Then, if I fly by the letter of the law, it seems there isn't many instances whereby you are legal. There seems to be a caveat to pretty much haul you over the coals for on any flight.

My first question, is am I being to 'by the letter' or is it actually less onerous than it seems?

What do people do, or 'get away with'. I am not trying to circumnavigate the law, but I see so much footage on YouTube that I could claim is illegal. And congested areas? What are they? 10 people per 100m square, 50 people per 100m square? There are no edges to the rules.

Also here in UK you cannot navigate higher than 120m above the ground, but have to keep 150m from you and people/buidings. Why not make it so its 120m, then you could fly over people/buildings without the need for permission on the way to missions, and without them feeling you are surveying them.

Looking forward to being the best, most responsible, safe pilot I can be whilst capturing awesome footage.

This is my first go : let me know what you think, and any tips please?! I checked on the NATS app, and scouted out the site first...

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome from Canada to Mavic Pilots!

And enjoy your stay here, there is a wealth of information to be had so take your time and look around and enjoy reading all the great stuff you can do with your Mavic, :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have and remember the search tool is a great resource to see who may have had a similar issue or may offer a great tip.

Enjoy your day and happy flying :)

As to your question. Fly with respect around people and places and within as much of the rules as you can (It's honestly an almost impossible task in any country) and I think you will be okay.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Cheers.

I have noted the flickering problem with footage, and see the -2 sharpness posts - will try those settings.

Seems like candy floss blurred shadows at minus sharpness, and flickering sharp images. Mmmm.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Beautiful footage, Thanks for sharing! Fly safe and have fun!

Hi!

Thank you for allowing me to sign up.

I am a creative, and have bought a Mavic Pro (my first UAV) for pleasure, but will monetise my footage, using it for work purposes. I already create video and am a photographer / illustrator / designer.

I have read up as much as I can and it seems I need to go official and get tuition, and get the CAA approval here in UK (£1500 or so, and £150 or so a year).

Then, if I fly by the letter of the law, it seems there isn't many instances whereby you are legal. There seems to be a caveat to pretty much haul you over the coals for on any flight.

My first question, is am I being to 'by the letter' or is it actually less onerous than it seems?

What do people do, or 'get away with'. I am not trying to circumnavigate the law, but I see so much footage on YouTube that I could claim is illegal. And congested areas? What are they? 10 people per 100m square, 50 people per 100m square? There are no edges to the rules.

Also here in UK you cannot navigate higher than 120m above the ground, but have to keep 150m from you and people/buidings. Why not make it so its 120m, then you could fly over people/buildings without the need for permission on the way to missions, and without them feeling you are surveying them.

Looking forward to being the best, most responsible, safe pilot I can be whilst capturing awesome footage.

This is my first go : let me know what you think, and any tips please?! I checked on the NATS app, and scouted out the site first...

Howdy from Wyoming @SKY808 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB