Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot help

Eagle430

Reactions
Hello
I just bought a Mavic pro 2
I need a bit of guidance for a few things
First I have found the width of the controller a bit tight to attach my phone (6.6inch my phone) . Any recomendations for a good phone/ tablet holder that will not be on the way of the sticks/ controller's LCD?

I have just downloaded the user manual ,are there any other advance manuals-more detailed ones to look at?

A few tips on maintenance / storing the drone? (For example is it better to remove the battery from the drone when storing it?)

Also anything else that can help a newbie here are more than welcome

Hi Eagle430 Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
My usual new flyer advice is
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
I normally add the following but you already did it.
Don't forget to read the manual
Download Mavic 2 manual HERE

Personally I don’t remove the battery for storage,
There are lots of good phone / tablet holders but I have no advice for a particular one.
YouTube is always worth a look.

Hello
First I have found the width of the controller a bit tight to attach my phone (6.6inch my phone) . Any recomendations for a good phone/ tablet holder that will not be on the way of the sticks/ controller's LCD?

I have just downloaded the user manual ,are there any other advance manuals-more detailed ones to look at?

A few tips on maintenance / storing the drone? (For example is it better to remove the battery from the drone when storing it?)

Hi!
As far as phone/tablet holders, I like these guys Tablet Holder for DJI Mavic and Autel EVO | Thor's Drone World

I've ordered from them before, quality stuff. The other poster addressed some of your other questions, and I would say:

1) When flying learn how to "clear" yourself re: obstacles. Check for trees, power lines, etc. Many people don't do their due diligence, and have an unnecessary crash.

2) get very familiar with all the controls(ofc), but, get to where you can adjust camera/ISO settings quickly, while in flight. when you're fumbling around, you lose focus. loss of focus=loss of situational awareness. loss of situational awareness=crash.

3) fly patterns: circles, squares, triple-eights. set up cones and fly around them. get comfortable being..uncomfortable, as far as what flight attitudes you end up in with your drone.

4) if you decide that flying drones is something you enjoy, go ahead and get FAA-certified. FAA page: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

This is the test prep I used, but there are plenty of others: Drone Pilot Training for FAA Certification: Steps for Success

Lastly: It's really easy to think of drones as toys..they are not. Take being a drone pilot as seriously as you would if you were a manned pilot. There's an FAA certification process for a reason. Don't take YOURSELF too seriously, though. We're not flying F-15 Strike Eagles here ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard70
Hi Eagle, Welcome - Your advanced manual is this forum.

Start off with the manual, use the search function, and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

I store mine without the battery in the drone, force of habit, in a case (nanuk 925). I also have a couple of rechargeable metal encased silica packs in the hard case. Everything fits in it, 3 batteries, controller, and accessories. But if you just keep in in your living quarters you will be fine. Not in the garage/shed/cellar.

Hello

I have just downloaded the user manual ,are there any other advance manuals-more detailed ones to look at? I find it hard to believe your phone will not fit when my iPad mini actually fits I’ll beit tight maybe your phone is too thick? Anyway the Thor mounts are very high-quality. For all the many questions I had and still have I almost always go to YouTube there’s almost always a video to answer any question. Practice practice practice the more hours you get the better you get

I am a fairly new pilot and the thing I do is survey the area I am going to fly. Find the tallest building, tree, or telephone pole and stay above them.

Welcome and congrats! In addition to what's already been said:
  • The owners manual has some small gaps on the hardware, but huge gaps on DJI Go, so also use this software guide. And as someone above said, we're your advanced manual. You will have many small questions.
  • Use a pre-flight check-list to check many things. In addition to checking the hardware for problems, like a damaged prop that you didn't notice when you last put it away, you should check and adjust the RTH height for each flight (higher potential obstacles for this flight than last? Raise the RTH height). Search these forums for pre-flight checklists.
  • If you don't already have plenty of extra batteries, consider some for your x-mas list. You DO NOT want to use a battery that had been previously depleted (even if less than half). Get used to a battery being done until recharged if you stop flying for awhile.
Chris

Keep in mind that the controller tight "fit" is designed that way and is a good thing.

Hello

Maybe obvious but check directly overhead of the drone before takeoff.I heard about a guy who didn't and clipped a branch but got away with it?

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
check out Flytpath on YouTube, he has videos that may help you choose accessories for your controller.

Reactions: Thomas B
Go to a safe open area and work your way through the RTH behaviours.
With a Phantom 3 I was caught out by the what happens if the drone is within 20m of the home point when the RTH is initiated.
With a mavic mini, I was caught out by an excessively high RTH height and how to cancel the climb to that height (the height was presumably accidentally set whilst adjusting distance limit ).
With an M2P/Z I was caught out by the within 20m of, and below, the home point and the obstacle avoidance, the house was between the drone and the homepoint, the drone climbed until around 1m above the relevant part of the roof and then started heading home. ( I had expected it to land where it was, the route over the house at that height would have put it into a tree)
These are complicated machines and we sometimes fail to understand how they will behave in a given situation, that can cause problems and or panic which is not a good thing when something goes apparently wrong.

Experiment with the drone's behaviour if you have the obstacle avoidance on in normal flight, it can be off putting if you are not familiar with it.

thank you all
another question , how do you store the battery of the mavic pro 2? I mean after a flight at what % should i store the battery? also if i will not use it for a bit of time should i fully charge the battery and then store it? I didn't find any option-setting on the menu for batteries

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki