• St. Mary's County

• Calvert County

• Prince George's County

• Virginia

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dhruvo

Reactions
I noob in the drone world. Just received my brand new Mavic Pro.

Just wondering if there's any pilot here from Charles, Calvert, and/or St. Mary's county. Looking at all maps seems like there's not too many authorized places (if any) within these counties where I can fly my new toy.

I wouldn't mind driving to other locations outside of these counties if I need to (within reasonable driving distance). King George / Dahlgren, VA would be ideal.

Anyone in this forum from these areas ? Is there any scheduled pilot meet-ups ? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Just wondering if there's any pilot here from Charles, Calvert, and/or St. Mary's county. Looking at all maps seems like there's not too many authorized places (if any) within these counties where I can fly my new toy.

I wouldn't mind driving to other locations outside of these counties if I need to (within reasonable driving distance). King George / Dahlgren, VA would be ideal.

Anyone in this forum from these areas ? Is there any scheduled pilot meet-ups ? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
What’s up man? I guess I’m a little late but I live in St.Marys county I’m always down to fly.

You can fly any parks in Fairfax county beginning July 1st 2018. Its kinda crazy, more than 3 Park Authority officers went passed me when i was flying my drone over Lake Fairfax today. Not even a single question. 2 month ago, i had 2 Police Officers called on me because they thought I was filming kids lol. It still kinda felt weird though. Saw happy Mavic Air pilot who also didnt know this change. Air is quiet. Really quiet.

DB6CDD2E-2D33-4251-B32A-203E8ACE1A3E.png

You can fly any parks in Fairfax county beginning July 1st 2018. Its kinda crazy, more than 3 Park Authority officers went passed me when i was flying my drone over Lake Fairfax today. Not even a single question. 2 month ago, i had 2 Police Officers called on me because they thought I was filming kids lol. It still kinda felt weird though. Saw happy Mavic Air pilot who also didnt know this change. Air is quiet. Really quiet.

View attachment 41787

This is awesome. I wasn’t aware. Thanks for sharing. Let me know next time you are out there.

Thanks.

I just saw this post today. No doubt you've learned a lot since January, but I figured I'd respond anyway. First, Dahlgren is restricted airspace in a 5 mile radius due to an active airstrip there. The base itself is also restricted along with a stretch of the gun range on the Potomac . There's not a lot of space in KG that's not restricted due to airports. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can fly within the five mile radius if you notify the airport ATC.

If for some reason, you haven't registered your drone w/ the FAA, go ahead and just do it. Better that than regret it later. Next download an app like AirMap that will show you airspace restrictions, ATC phone numbers, advisories, etc. Start learning the rules and go have fun, safely. ;)

Newbie here I live right outside of Andrews afb. I need pilots to teach me the ropes and I've read countless articles and watched videos. Wanna do it right but have fun as well. Just got my Mavic air yesterday haven't flown it yet

I just saw this post today. No doubt you've learned a lot since January, but I figured I'd respond anyway. First, Dahlgren is restricted airspace in a 5 mile radius due to an active airstrip there. The base itself is also restricted along with a stretch of the gun range on the Potomac . There's not a lot of space in KG that's not restricted due to airports. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can fly within the five mile radius if you notify the airport ATC.

If for some reason, you haven't registered your drone w/ the FAA, go ahead and just do it. Better that than regret it later. Next download an app like AirMap that will show you airspace restrictions, ATC phone numbers, advisories, etc. Start learning the rules and go have fun, safely. ;)
The airstrip at Dahlgren is no longer active, I spoke to the head of security on base.

The airstrip at Dahlgren is no longer active, I spoke to the head of security on base.
How does this impact restricted airspace? I haven't done any flying for the past 1.5 - 2 years and haven't kept up w/ rules, regulations, etc. I'm pretty sure though that it's been inactive for at least a decade or two. In spite of that, they've ferried in VIPs via helicopter and Ospreys, ~2005 was the last time I was aware, back when I was a contractor supporting the base.
Either way, I'm not sure that the airstrip being inactive changes anything with regards to restricted airspace at Dahlgren as the runway could still be used on an ad hoc basis. As far as I'm aware they maintain the runway, not to mention that they also fly small fixed wing drones off of a runway closer to the river.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird