DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot

slphelan

Reactions
Hi everyone I am Sam a new Mavic Pro Pilot. I have been flying simulator mode for a couple of weeks. I took outside to do my first flight this am. The following thing happened.
1. Used auto take off.
2. Mavic took off and flew up to maximum distance even though I had it set for 90 meters.
3. Navigation was sort of out of wack.
Prior to flight I did a compass calibration and IMU calibration.
Has any other pilots experienced this on auto take off and if so how did they correct the problem.
Thanks

Hi everyone I am Sam a new Mavic Pro Pilot. I have been flying simulator mode for a couple of weeks. I took outside to do my first flight this am. The following thing happened.
1. Used auto take off.
2. Mavic took off and flew up to maximum distance even though I had it set for 90 meters.
3. Navigation was sort of out of wack.
Prior to flight I did a compass calibration and IMU calibration.
Has any other pilots experienced this on auto take off and if so how did they correct the problem.
Thanks
Howdy slphelan, how high did it climb? 500 feet or the 180 feet you had it set at.

Howdy slphelan, how high did it climb? 500 feet or the 180 feet you had it set at.
The unit climbed 500 feet to max altitude even when pushing the RTH once it got to the max altitude I then I pressed the return to home button the flight became erratic so I pushed the pause button and landed the mavic manually.

It sounds like the bottom sensors were detecting the ground was near mid-flight. When that happens and the "Landing Protection" setting is enabled, the Mavic will slowly ascend to try to get away from the ground. You can confirm that occurred by uploading your TXT flight log here and checking the "VPS Altitude" column when your Mavic was not near the ground. If the VPS Altitude is showing a value, then something was triggering the bottom sensors (most likely your landing gear).

If you find that your landing gear is causing the problem, you can continue to use it by disabling the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO. If you disable that setting, keep in mind that you'll then be able to manually descend the entire way to the ground. So, down come down too hot thinking it's going to stop near the ground and slowly land on its own.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

It's pretty easy to get the rear extension on backwards.

Ok i repositioned the landing gear tested then also removed the gear. Still having eratic behavior.
I do get wireless interference on the ipad display but no cell tower, wireless phones are in the area only the ipad mini.
1. I then tried using auto take off and ascends to 18-20 feet before it begins to hoover. Not 4 feet.
2. If I hit the return to home in beginner mode or tripod mode the unit ascends to the programmed height then flys a little erratic and lands but does not hover even though the display shows it is at 1.6 feet it is still descending from a height of about 20 feet.
3. Does not land at the exact place that the mavic stated home point. Is about 8-10 feet away.

Here is a copy of my log file from yesterday with landing gear.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-11_[11-01-54].txt
    259.9 KB · Views: 5
Here is my last flight on today!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-12_[08-36-52].txt
    217.9 KB · Views: 6
I then tried using auto take off and ascends to 18-20 feet before it begins to hoover.
This is normal if you have the Precision Landing feature enabled. If you disable that feature, your Mavic won't ascend that high on auto takeoff.

If I hit the return to home in beginner mode or tripod mode the unit ascends to the programmed height then flys a little erratic and lands but does not hover even though the display shows it is at 1.6 feet it is still descending from a height of about 20 feet.
Are you able to reproduce that? If so, calibrate the IMU and try reproducing it again.

Does not land at the exact place that the mavic stated home point. Is about 8-10 feet away.
This could be related to issue #2 above. Try resolving that issue first and then try the precision landing again. The landing will be much closer to the takeoff point if you take off from a location that has a distinct pattern (e.g. not an asphalt road).

This is normal if you have the Precision Landing feature enabled. If you disable that feature, your Mavic won't ascend that high on auto takeoff.

Are you able to reproduce that? If so, calibrate the IMU and try reproducing it again.

This could be related to issue #2 above. Try resolving that issue first and then try the precision landing again. The landing will be much closer to the takeoff point if you take off from a location that has a distinct pattern (e.g. not an asphalt road).

Thanks I did the imu calibration prior to going to take flight and once in location did a compass calibration. I will try another imu calibration and see if that solves the erratic behavior. Thanks

Make sure your Mavic is on a level surface before starting the IMU calibration.

Thanks I did the imu calibration prior to going to take flight and once in location did a compass calibration. I will try another imu calibration and see if that solves the erratic behavior. Thanks

Did the IMU calibration:
1. Disabled Precision landing:
2. Mavic still ascends to 18-20 feet before it hovers, and after changing position of landing gear it no longer going to max set altitude.
3. Still flying somewhat erratic on RTH and lands within 6 feet but I have to adjust the stick as it comes in and it does not hover prior to landing. Landing is soft.
4. Radio frequency interference but I am not flying more than 50 feet or in beginner or tripod mode.
4. Will contact DJI on Monday no one in today.

Still flying somewhat erratic on RTH and lands within 6 feet but I have to adjust the stick as it comes in
How exactly is it flying erratically? How high is your Mavic when you start adjusting the stick? What kind of surface are you taking off from?

How exactly is it flying erratically? How high is your Mavic when you start adjusting the stick? What kind of surface are you taking off from?
1. How exactly is it flying erratically? It jerks and spins to the left or right once you push the return to home after ascending to the pre-set RTH altitude. Once it gets over the landing area it jerks forward at the max altitude as it is descending. Before it land I get a display on my Ipad mini3 stating mavic is at 1.6 feet and the bar display to land the mavic but it is still over 18-20 feet above the landing area. I have to manually land the aircraft or pull down on the left stick for 3 seconds to get it to land.

2. How high is your Mavic when you start adjusting the stick? 18-20 feet when the erratic behavior begins and only when using the RTH while landing.

3. What kind of surface are you taking off from? I am using a landing pad in the cul-de-sec on pavement.

It jerks and spins to the left or right once you push the return to home after ascending to the pre-set RTH altitude.
Your flight log shows your Mavic was attempting to avoid an obstacle (most likely the sun) on its flight back to the home point. That would explain the jerkiness you saw.

Before it land I get a display on my Ipad mini3 stating mavic is at 1.6 feet and the bar display to land the mavic but it is still over 18-20 feet above the landing area.
I do not see this in your most recent flight log above. It shows the downward sensors are detecting the ground was 1.6 feet away after your Mavic stopped its auto descent prior to landing.

In your latest flight log, you moved the remote controller sticks after precision landing was initiated. If you do anything other than move the throttle in the down position to speed up the descent, precision landing will be cancelled and your Mavic will land at its current location.

From the Mavic manual:

Manual.jpg

Reactions: slphelan
Your flight log shows your Mavic was attempting to avoid an obstacle (most likely the sun) on its flight back to the home point. That would explain the jerkiness you saw.

I do not see this in your most recent flight log above. It shows the downward sensors are detecting the ground was 1.6 feet away after your Mavic stopped its auto descent prior to landing.

In your latest flight log, you moved the remote controller sticks after precision landing was initiated. If you do anything other than move the throttle in the down position to speed up the descent, precision landing will be cancelled and your Mavic will land at its current location.

From the Mavic manual:

View attachment 19790
Thanks I contacted tech support also this am and they had me refresh to update firmware with the DJI assistant that I previously installed via the DJI Go app wirelessly when I got the Mavic.

I only tested auto take off so far it is now working as it's supposed to taking off to 4 feet and hovering at that point. If it sops raining I will take a flight this afternoon and see how it performs. Thanks for all your help.

Good luck, and keep us posted. How many SATs are locked on? Try using the other side of your landing pad. Have heard some people having issues with the blue side of the landing pad.

Good luck, and keep us posted. How many SATs are locked on? Try using the other side of your landing pad. Have heard some people having issues with the blue side of the landing pad.
Will do I have sent the Mavic Pro back to DJI. I will update once they receive it and give me an update.
Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15