DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New purchase

adammacleod

Reactions
So finally making the jump from my Mini 1 which I have loved!! Air2S should be with me on Friday and I can’t wait!
Comes with refresh so that will be my first job. Any tips before I fly or just set up and go?
I already have an operator id and flyer id. Do I need a license too or is that just for flying near crowds etc?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
...........Air2S should be with me on Friday and I can’t wait!.................Any tips before I fly or just set up and go?
Download the manual are read through it. It's not much too it and you will we way ahead of the game when it arrives on Friday.

Reactions: adammacleod
...I already have an operator id and flyer id. Do I need a license too or is that just for flying near crowds etc?
This is the UK requirements ...
  • if you’ll fly, you must pass a theory test to get a flyer ID (recon that you get some certificate here that you can print as we get in Sweden ... that would be kind of your "license")
  • if you’re responsible for a drone or model aircraft, you must register for an operator ID
So if you already have done the test & have operator and flyer ID you should be good to go ... the license you mentioned don't seem to exist for a recreational pilot.

After this out of the way ... you,
Read the manual ... then read the manual ... ;)

• if you’ll fly, you must pass a theory test to get a flyer ID (recon that you get some certificate here that you can print as we get in Sweden ... that would be kind of your "license")
  • if you’re responsible for a drone or model aircraft, you must register for an operator ID
So if you already have done the test & have operator and flyer ID you should be good to go ... the license you mentioned don't seem to exist for a recreational pilot.

Thanks a lot. I was getting confused with the A2 license and wasn’t sure if needed. Appreciate the help.

Thanks a lot. I was getting confused with the A2 license and wasn’t sure if needed. Appreciate the help.
Think you mix thing's up ... the A2 category you refer to is about HOW you fly the drone ...

• A1: Flying ‘over’ people;
  • A2: Flying ‘close to’ people;
  • A3: Flying ‘far from’ people;

Drones under 250g can be flown in the A1 sub category (there are also some exceptions for drones up to 500g too).

Drones less than 2kg can be flown in A2 sub category, but you must keep at least 50 meters away from people and pass the A2 theory exam (A2 Certificate of Competency or ‘A2 CofC’). If you have not passed the A2 theory exam, you may only fly these drones in the A3 subcategory.

Think you mix thing's up ... the A2 category you refer to is about HOW you fly the drone ...

• A1: Flying ‘over’ people;
  • A2: Flying ‘close to’ people;
  • A3: Flying ‘far from’ people;

Drones under 250g can be flown in the A1 sub category (there are also some exceptions for drones up to 500g too).

Drones less than 2kg can be flown in A2 sub category, but you must keep at least 50 meters away from people and pass the A2 theory exam (A2 Certificate of Competency or ‘A2 CofC’). If you have not passed the A2 theory exam, you may only fly these drones in the A3 subcategory.
Brilliant. Makes sense now.

So finally making the jump from my Mini 1 which I have loved!! Air2S should be with me on Friday and I can’t wait!
Comes with refresh so that will be my first job. Any tips before I fly or just set up and go?
I already have an operator id and flyer id. Do I need a license too or is that just for flying near crowds etc?
No idea on the license - seems to be a UK thing.

I'd watch some Air2 / S videos before arrival to see all the cool features not on a Mini - which are A LOT, as I have a Mini and vast difference. Also way easier to fly - Air2 / S that is with Occusync and GPS over wi-fi like the Mini has.

The videos will help a great deal so that when the Air2S does show up - you will be ready to hit the skies and then post some awesome vids / pics of Scotland for us Yanks to see. Although I'm not a Yank per se, I live in the south; not the north.

Who reads a stinking manual these days? LOL

Where are you? Could be an important Isaura for ask that questions 😬

In EU (and maybe UK, i’m not sure) need Operator ID (all drones, even under 250 gr.), Certification A1/A3 (for recreational drones over 250 gr. as DJI Air 2S) and insurance policy (as well drones over 250 gr.)

Last edited:
Where are you? Could be an important Isaura for ask that questions 😬

In EU (and maybe UK, i’m not sure) need Operator ID (all drones, even under 250 gr.), Certification A1/A3 (for recreational drones over 250 gr. as DJI Air 2S) and insurance policy (as well drones over 250 gr.)
Im in the uk. I have operator and flyer id already and I’ve just booked my exam for the A2 CofC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock