DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New RC Pro First Impressions

Chrislaf

Reactions
Had my first flight with my new RC Pro controller that I got a couple of days ago and I am glad I decided to go with the controller over a Tripltek tablet which I was also considering. I watched and read lots of reviews on both and ultimately decided on the RC Pro.

What I like:
•Almost instant startup - no connecting cables, very liberating. Will be very handy for cold weather flying which I do a lot of.
•Today it was hot! (28ºC) and sunny (not a cloud in the sky) and I had no trouble seeing the controller nor did I have to worry about the screen dimming. Will be great for framing shots for photos.
•I love the right hand zoom wheel. I could zoom in and out in both photo and video mode easily without having to tap the screen and scrolling for the most part is smooth. No more tapping on the phone screen to zoom in pre-determined intervals. When I got home I programmed the 5D button to launch explore mode so I don't have to tap the screen.
•I also programmed other options into the 5D button and the C1 button - love the flexibility.
•I love the weight and feel in my hands and it feels well made.

For me and my uses the the RC Pro was definitely the right choice and was worth the cost. Although the Tripltek was a few hundred dollars cheaper and more compatible with a wider array of drones, I still would have had to spend money on a tablet mount and would have lost the convenience and features that only the RC Pro could provide.

Chris

Great you like it. I’m so used to using my iPad I don’t think I would care for it. Still using my modified inspire tablet holder I used with my Phantom’s and then my first Mavic 😀

Great you like it. I’m so used to using my iPad I don’t think I would care for it. Still using my modified inspire tablet holder I used with my Phantom’s and then my first Mavic 😀
I also considered an iPad too as I have always flown my other drones with my iPhones and am very familiar with the iOS ecosystem. I liked the advantages of the larger screen a tablet provides but I fly year round and in winter I am often flying in sub-zero temps so having to attach a tablet, connect cables, etc. and sometimes struggling with my device shutting down due to the cold made me go for the RC Pro since it will better suit my flying situation and style (hiking, skiing, or trekking to my flying location).

Chris

I would love to have the extra zoom wheel and buttons however I can't give up the screen size of the Tripltek. My aging eyes miss too much detail when looking at a small screen. Zoom is available on the RC-N1 if you press and hold the left function button while using the left scroll wheel.... definitely not as convenient as the RC PRO but certainly usable and smooth vs tapping the screen.

I have considered switching to the RC PRO with a HDMI monitor on a bracket mount.

I like the idea of having a second drone that won't require a ipad mount, ipad, Hoodman HV1, man that's a lot of weight over the full day's flights, and not having to worry about overheating in the bright summer sun while flying. I also have a MA2 so a second controller for backup.

Sure it’s great for most. Considering I fly from inside my truck with
i pad on steering wheel it wouldn’t benifit me . Looks great though.
Wish I was younger where I could go where lots do 🥴

I would love to have the extra zoom wheel and buttons however I can't give up the screen size of the Tripltek. My aging eyes miss too much detail when looking at a small screen. Zoom is available on the RC-N1 if you press and hold the left function button while using the left scroll wheel.... definitely not as convenient as the RC PRO but certainly usable and smooth vs tapping the screen.

I have considered switching to the RC PRO with a HDMI monitor on a bracket mount.
Didn't know that you could zoom with the function button and scroll wheel. Regardless for the kind of flying I do the RC Pro is the better solution. One of the reasons I bought the Mavic 3 was for the tele camera to use mainly as a complement to the main camera when I am exploring places to photograph especially hard to find ruins. I find the tele camera is so much more useful than I ever imagined it would be and with the addition of the RC Pro it is now immensely more so.

Chris

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Although I am not looking to get a new Mini 3 Pro in the next couple of months, I might consider it for August or September to complement my M3 and replace my Spark as I would like to have a sub 250g drone for those times when flying the M3 is not possible. I just hope that the Mini 3 Pro will be compatible with the RC Pro so that I can use it for that drone as well. If not I still will have my RC-N1 controller from the M3.

Chris

Didn't know that you could zoom with the function button and scroll wheel. Regardless for the kind of flying I do the RC Pro is the better solution. One of the reasons I bought the Mavic 3 was for the tele camera to use mainly as a complement to the main camera when I am exploring places to photograph especially hard to find ruins. I find the tele camera is so much more useful than I ever imagined it would be and with the addition of the RC Pro it is now immensely more so.

Chris
The problem with the single scroll wheel on the RC-N1 is that you need gimbal control while zooming to keep the subject centered in the frame. Impossible with the RC-N1. Needs two scroll wheels. RC-Pro was really designed for the M3 and meant to be sold with it, but DJI wanted a cheaper bar to entry, and made that the RC-N1. Had they sold the $1200 RC-Pro with the M3 instead of the RC-N1, it would have been $3300 minimum! Add in the Fly More Kit version, and it would have been $4,100! Sticker shock, for those coming from the $1600 M2P at release!

Although I am not looking to get a new Mini 3 Pro in the next couple of months, I might consider it for August or September to complement my M3 and replace my Spark as I would like to have a sub 250g drone for those times when flying the M3 is not possible. I just hope that the Mini 3 Pro will be compatible with the RC Pro so that I can use it for that drone as well. If not I still will have my RC-N1 controller from the M3.

Chris
I'm hoping they will be compatible as well. $600 plus a combo kit for the Mini 3 makes it very attractive, if you already have the RC-Pro, with its additional features over the DJI RC. One device for three aircraft: M3, Air 2S, Mini 3.

Reactions: Richard R
Had my first flight with my new RC Pro controller that I got a couple of days ago and I am glad I decided to go with the controller over a Tripltek tablet which I was also considering. I watched and read lots of reviews on both and ultimately decided on the RC Pro.

What I like:
•Almost instant startup - no connecting cables, very liberating. Will be very handy for cold weather flying which I do a lot of.
•Today it was hot! (28ºC) and sunny (not a cloud in the sky) and I had no trouble seeing the controller nor did I have to worry about the screen dimming. Will be great for framing shots for photos.
•I love the right hand zoom wheel. I could zoom in and out in both photo and video mode easily without having to tap the screen and scrolling for the most part is smooth. No more tapping on the phone screen to zoom in pre-determined intervals. When I got home I programmed the 5D button to launch explore mode so I don't have to tap the screen.
•I also programmed other options into the 5D button and the C1 button - love the flexibility.

For me and my uses the the RC Pro was definitely the right choice and was worth the cost. Although the Tripltek was a few hundred dollars cheaper and more compatible with a wider array of drones, I still would have had to spend money on a tablet mount and would have lost the convenience and features that only the RC Pro could provide.
Hi Chris,

I know GadgetGuy has chimed in on this question I asked earlier about the RC Pro. Have you had any disconnections or freezing with your new RC Pro? I assume it has the latest firmware loaded. Still on the fence about getting one for my trip next week to go iceberg hunting in Newfoundland with my Mavic 3.🤞🏼

No, I have not had any disconnects or freezing and firmware is up-to-date.

Enjoy your trip. Heading there in July.

Chris

Reactions: f13dfx

What I like:

Chris
In my short time with it... I love it. Love the built-in bright screen. Love the WAY better stick feel. Love the HDMI video-out feature. Overall it just feels better in hand. Only the price I don't love....

Reactions: jforester
I got mine a few weeks ago, replacing the original smart controller. Much improved. Much better range, more stable OS, faster, brighter. Paired with a 2S. I can’t fly now because I crashed the drone and am waiting on my care refresh replacement. Can’t wait to fly this summer with the setup.

No, I have not had any disconnects or freezing and firmware is up-to-date.

Enjoy your trip. Heading there in July.

Chris
Hi again Chris,

Just got back from my trip to Newfoundland. Had the good fortune of grabbing an almost new RC Pro from our local Craigslist for $1,100 CAD ($870 USD) which came with a screen protector, Sunnylife case & neckstrap! I have to say, my firsthand experience using it with my Mavic 3 was better in comparison to when I purchased the original DJI Smart Controller to use with my then Mavic 2 Pro! Got to use it in both sunny, foggy, misty & even in a few raindrops in 25-48km winds. Even “bagged” myself a young bull moose using the Mavic 3’s 7x telephoto lens!

Attachments

• F2ABA39D-2CF2-4381-8481-97FB213322EC.jpeg
    F2ABA39D-2CF2-4381-8481-97FB213322EC.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 21
  • 6BB2AA7E-4C4B-4D1D-9FDC-84F4C31E4967.jpeg
    6BB2AA7E-4C4B-4D1D-9FDC-84F4C31E4967.jpeg
    709.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 5A6A1039-8F58-459F-AACB-16378AD84317.jpeg
    5A6A1039-8F58-459F-AACB-16378AD84317.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 14
  • D21F4BA5-ED24-4834-A17A-7A853B87D207.jpeg
    D21F4BA5-ED24-4834-A17A-7A853B87D207.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 3C2BE1D2-FF3F-470B-9CA8-71309DE26627.jpeg
    3C2BE1D2-FF3F-470B-9CA8-71309DE26627.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Some nice shots there @f13dfx! What part of NFLD were they taken? Looking forward to my trip. Gradually getting things ready.

Glad you were able to pick up an RC Pro, I love mine!

Chris

Thank you! The icebergs & Rock Arch were at Twillingate & Bonavista, while the remaining two were at Cape Spear in St. John’s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61