DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New RC Pro Return to Home is Off with Air 2S

stevearends

Reactions
I just bought the DJI RC Pro and used it for the 1st time this morning. It operated beautifully and I immediately noticed it 1) had much more range, and 2) the screen response was very fast and smooth compared to the DJI Smart Controller.

One Issue - When I executed return to home on two occasions (which was 100% of the time), the Air 2S landed about 2 feet off from the takeoff point. I never noticed more than a few inches difference when using the Smart controller. Is there something I might need to adjust?

Thanks!

How far from home were you when initiated RTH?
How high did you fly strait up at takeoff before any movement horizontal?
Was the home point area view exactly the same as at takeoff?
Did you have a landing pad to identify landing point?
The home point information is stored on the aircraft not the controller, so a different controller should not make a difference.

What was the actual returning to home altitude when flying return to home?

When I executed return to home on two occasions (which was 100% of the time), the Air 2S landed about 2 feet off from the takeoff point. I never noticed more than a few inches difference when using the Smart controller. Is there something I might need to adjust?
This had nothing at all to do with the controller.
The controller just sends the message to initiate RTH and the drone does it all.

When your drone is auto RTH landing within inches of the takeoff spot, that's because it's using the Precision landing feature.
If it's landing further away than that, it's because precision landing isn't doing the landing and the drone is using GPS alone.
See page 16 of your manual for a list of the requirements for Precision Landing to work.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
How far from home were you when initiated RTH?
How high did you fly strait up at takeoff before any movement horizontal?
Was the home point area view exactly the same as at takeoff?
Did you have a landing pad to identify landing point?
The home point information is stored on the aircraft not the controller, so a different controller should not make a difference.
Answers:

How far from home were you when initiated RTH? - 1,000 feet
How high did you fly strait up at takeoff before any movement horizontal? - 60 feet
Was the home point area view exactly the same as at takeoff? Very close, I moved about 20 feet
Did you have a landing pad to identify landing point? I do but I wasn't using it.
What was the actual returning to home altitude when flying return to home? Return to home altitude was set at 120' but I was at 500 feet AGL because I was up a mountain about 350' from starting altitude

Answers:

What was the actual returning to home altitude when flying return to home? Return to home altitude was set at 120' but I was at 500 feet AGL because I was up a mountain about 350' from starting altitude
So, what altitude did your controller show while flying return? Altitude above takeoff level (ATL), not AGL.
I know the actual ATL altitude isn't relevant at this point; it is just an area of curiosity as you were flying in uneven terrain.

Last edited:
Answers:

None of those things make any difference to where your drone lands.

Any changes in the visual area surrounding take off area would likely make a big difference. With a change in details and no sharply defined takeoff point the vision system likely couldn't determine the exact spot. A landing pad is a big help and make sure no one moves into or out of the takeoff area after the drone gets its takeoff point picture.

Reactions: stevearends
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007