DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Rules Proposed by CASA

Phill

Reactions
THOUSANDS of Australians would have to register their drones like they register their cars, and face on-the-spot fines for breaking flight rules under strict new laws being considered by the government and supported by aviation authorities and drone makers.

And the tough regulations, similar to those enforced overseas, would even apply to some of the smallest drones and to drone pilots who fly the gadgets for fun rather than profit.

The news came as market leader DJI officially launched two new flying machines in Australia yesterday, which experts said were likely to cause a new swarm of gadgets hovering over Australian beaches this summer.

ed8840738b7cbf008146f4a2464b0435

The new drones released by DJI comes with a 20-megapixel, zoom lens camera Picture: Supplied
The new drones included the first with an advanced, 20-megapixel Hasselblad camera, and the first folding drone with a zoom lens, which experts said could help pilots keep drones a safe distance from their subjects.

DJI communications director Kevin On said the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom drones would also feature better obstacle avoidance and quieter operation, and their larger camera sensor and optical zoom would help photographers be more creative.

“It’s going to enable a whole new genre of photo storytelling and what we can do with drones,” Mr On said.

But future drone purchases could also come with new rules in Australia after a parliamentary report into their use recommended all drones over 250g be registered with the Civil Aviation and Safety Authority, that pilots undergo mandatory safety tests, and that law enforcement agencies be allowed to issue on-the-spot fines for users doing the wrong thing.

8ac131e8879ee2bb52d4e2dbdc5aa767

Experts are concerned drones will be hovering above Aussie beaches through the warmer months. Picture: Toby Zerna
Fines for breaking drone laws, such as flying within 30m of people or within 5.5km of an airport, range from $1000 to $10,000, and more than 30 have been issued so far this year.

CASA spokesman Peter Gibson said the Authority would wait for the government’s response to the recommendations but it was also “well advanced” in creating its own registration scheme to apply to Australia’s estimated 150,000 drone users.

At present the practicalities of policing drone use is still under development.

“We’ve been looking at potential registration for recreational drones and, as part of that registration process, some sort of online training component,” he said.

“If something happens and the drone crashes, for example, under this system you could then match the drone with the drone owner, so it does make enforcement action easier.”

4a9962d1e5dec37d43f895cf9168b32c

Fines for breaking drone laws can be as much as $10,000, but authorities have had trouble enforcing them. Picture: Supplied
Despite the growing number of drones sold and flown in Australia, CASA currently had to rely on reports from the public and police, as well as evidence posted on social media to track down drone pilots breaking the law.

The parliamentary report also recommended airworthiness standards for drones sold in Australia, mandatory failsafes such as emergency landing and return-to-home features, and banning drones from flying over “significant public buildings”.

bfd3bbbce5e490a7af8739ec1a56b350

Australians would have to register their drones like they register their cars, and face on-the-spot fines if laws under consideration are implemented. Picture: Supplied
DJI policy head Adam Welsh said the major drone manufacturer supported the recommendations, though cautioned that authorities should make it easy and inexpensive to register drones.

“With registration, you finally start to have a way to find out who was flying that drone and I think that’s important,” he said.

“The next step now is how CASA and the rest of government decide to respond and hopefully they’ll take on these recommendations in a way that is easy to comply with and encourages people to get on board.”

The new Australian drone rules would follow similar laws in the US, where the Federal Aviation Administration has registered more than one million drones, and in the UK, where pilots must register their drones by November 30, 2019.

CAN YOU PASS OUR NEW PRE-FLIGHT DRONE TEST?
loader_100x100.gif

PROPOSED NEW DRONE RULES FOR AUSTRALIA
- Drones over 250g must be registered

- Mandatory safety tests for registered drone pilots

- Law enforcement bodies able to issue on-the-spot fines for unsafe drone use

- A tiered drone education system where users must pass a test to buy a drone

- No drones allowed above ‘significant public buildings’ or ‘critical infrastructure’

- Mandatory failsafes including return-to-home and forced landing features

- Centralised research facility into drone incidents, trends, registration, and operation

Ha, very much on topic for me atm. I actually don't disagree with this so long as CASA is the only regulatory body we have to deal with. If it were to mean rules being laid down by local councils were null, then I'm 100% for it. No idea how they would enforce some of these though and point 5 is a little lose in its terminology.

Two things are for absolute certainty though;
  1. I will not be updating the firmware on my Mavic anytime soon
  2. I will not be upgrading to the Mavic 2 Pro (despite it being my idea off the perfect drone) until the future of our hobby is clearer.
P.S - Phill, almost jealous of you living in Queensland. The only state or territory left in Australia where you are allowed to fly recreational drones without first gaining permission (or at all).

I’m also happy with this if local government gets their nose out of our business.

Reactions: matth1000
I should have said that the reference is The Courier Mail
It was a subscriber only article hence the the cut and paste and the omission of the test questions.
It consists of 9 questions which if you can't answer you really shouldn't be flying.
Registration is free . I've been registered for 3 or 4 yrs.
At least if you are registered CASA keep you up to date on rule changes etc.
I also applied to fly commercially in the sub 2 kg category just in case.
I've just renewed the commercial part for another 3 yrs - again it's free.
You can register here
Applying for an aviation reference number (ARN)

What registration do you have.
Link is for an ARN.
Are you saying you have done your ReOc or RePL?

Reactions: mrchris87
So you just have an ARN?
I’m wondering what registration you have?

Yes i know what an ARN is. I thought you where talking about some form of registration . My misunderstanding
(Aviation Reference Number - An aviation reference number (ARN) is similar to a customer number. You will need an ARN if you intend to hold any sort of authorisation (such as a permission or licence) with us.)

Last edited:
I think you will find that the sub 2kg excluded class will be recinded by CASA in line with the Senate recommendations.

o haha , didnt even realise you typed aircraft reference number.
Its just a number that casa can use to identify you to add any licence, permits etc to. Its not a licence or permit in itself.

?
We are going in circles here, or is it just me?

That’s what I asked you. What registration do you have?

ARN’s don’t need to be renewed every 3years. I’ve had mine for 35 years and it will always be my ARN, as it has all my licences and ratings applied to it. I never need to renew it.

Anyone can apply for an ARN. My wife could apply for one tonight and get it. This doesn’t give her authority to ado anything. It just means she would have a reference/customer number for dealing with CASA

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmo
They've just sent me notification to renew mine for 3 years so I doubt it.
Oh absolutely!! Read the submissions, the Senate most definately think that CASA flupped up, and have indicated their displeasure.

The initial notification period was for 2 years, unless circumstances changed. Right before the Senate was to convene, CASA change the reporting to 3 years, giving most of us another year....

However, that wont matter, if the biggest Senate recommendation is taken up, which is to remove the sub 2 Excluded class... I would say, by the end of this year.

Your notification period, will not matter, with a class that doesn't exist.

Reactions: AnzacJack
And AJ is right, the ARN is just an ID card, so CASA know who you are...
You have notified them of your intention to fly in the sub 2 category... its that notification, that they require renewal on..not the ARN.... however, not for long.
Read my post above.

Dont go confusing Senate committees with government. The senate committees make all sorts of recommendations that nev edr become law. They never get into the house even.

CASA undoubatably will note what the senate says and do their own process and eventually make a submission to yhe minister.

?
We are going in circles here, or is it just me?

That’s what I asked you. What registration do you have?

ARN’s don’t need to be renewed every 3years. I’ve had mine for 35 years and it will always be my ARN, as it has all my licences and ratings applied to it. I never need to renew it.

Anyone can apply for an ARN. My wife could apply for one tonight and get it. This doesn’t give her authority to ado anything. It just means she would have a reference/customer number for dealing with CASA

I think we're both going in circles.
Obtaining an ARN is registering.
The other is permission to fly commercially in the sub 2 kg class.
It allows me to fly for profit but I still have to abide by the hobby class unlike a licence holder who can get waivers for different things.
See below
Thank you for notifying CASA about your intention to fly a remotely piloted aircraft (drone) weighing fewer than two kilograms (sub-2kg) for hire or reward. This email is confirmation we have received your notification and have captured your supplied details, along with ARN information previously supplied.

You may be asked to produce this email if requested, so please keep a copy, either in digital or hardcopy format as a record of your submission.

RPAS Notification

CASA Notification ID: xxxxx
ARN: XXXXXX
Notification Type: I am an individual notifying CASA of my intent to fly a sub 2kg RPA for hire or reward
Name: PHILL XXXXXXX

Location details:

1. State: Queensland
Region: Queensland - Outback
2. State: Queensland
Region: Queensland - Outback
RPA Details:

1. Multi Rotor
You must now wait five business days, from receipt of this email, before you can fly commercially. We recommend you take this time to plan your operations, identifying potential risks and risk mitigation strategies. We also recommend practising flying in a safe location to become competent in operating and controlling the aircraft.

Acknowledgement of RPA Safety Requirements

1. I understand that when flying or operating a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA), I am required to comply with all applicable provisions of the Civil Aviation Act and the regulations.
  2. More specifically, I understand that I am required to comply with all provisions of Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998, which apply to the operation of RPA generally and in particular circumstances. Breach of these regulations may result in enforcement action being taken against me.
  3. I further understand that important guidance for the operation of RPA can be found in CASA Advisory Circular (AC) 101-10 – Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems – Operation of Excluded RPA and that I am familiar with the information contained in the current version of that circular.
If you will operate a 'very small' RPA for hire or reward outside of the standard operating conditions, you must obtain a remote pilot licence (and an RPA Operator's Certificate if you want to run your own company).

For more information please visit our website.

You can contact us for all RPA operational enquiries by:

If the information you have submitted for your notification is inaccurate then you must contact CASA via email on [email protected] to update your original submission, quoting the date you submitted your original notification, the CASA Notification ID and ARN.

This is an automated message, please do not reply. It was sent by an email address that is not monitored and cannot accept incoming messages. If you received this email by mistake, simply delete it.

And AJ is right, the ARN is just an ID card, so CASA know who you are...
You have notified them of your intention to fly in the sub 2 category... its that notification, that they require renewal on..not the ARN.... however, not for long.
Read my post above.

Rather than argue about what they are or are not going to do let's just wait and see what they come up with.

Reactions: Simmo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_