DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Rules Proposed by CASA

Channel 9 news is running a wonderful segment tonight on how us pilots are perving on people with our drones.
I don't know if it's Aus wide but it's definitely on in QLD.
Should make interesting watching for the fear mongers out there and do us no good what so ever.

Reactions: Simmo
A new one along the same lines.
Apparently we're all spying through bathroom and bedroom windows.
The head of CASA was on there telling people to be careful when interfering with drones.
They forgot to say that you can hear them 100 m away so they can't sneak up on you.

I missed it as it was shower time and I was out looking in windows

What a which hunt. We have little chance of any newly developed laws being done so without bias with this sort of sensationalist reporting going on. As far as I am aware drones in Australia have not seriously injured or killed anyone, yet there have been several reports of them being used to help locate and save people. If a drone is close enough to harass you, then it is likely inside 30m and breaking existing CASA regulation anyway. Enhanced privacy laws have a risk of removing the burden of proof away from the accuser to the accused, which would be very concerning.

Also noted Senator Barry O'Sullivan who was the deputy chair of the committee making these recommendations to CASA being quoted as saying;

“Say, tomorrow, out of Brisbane Airport, a passenger aircraft with 150 people on board has contact with a drone and there's a full catastrophic event with the loss of all life, and then the following day we have another one—what would your view be?

… did you agree with the government's move after Port Arthur, where there was a tragedy that was totally foreseeable and predictable with the use of firearms, to revamp very aggressively firearm ownership and rules around it in this country?”

That's right, he is making a direct comparison between the potential for recreational drones to collide with a commercial airliner causing complete loss of life (something that has not happened anywhere in the world) with Australia's response to gun control after the Port Arthur massacre. With this sort of mindset taking a lead role in the body making recommendations for changes to our hobby, what hope do we have?

Reactions: Simmo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2