DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New & Scared!

So you just sent $2000 or so on a drone. Spend another $500 and take a course from a professional. They you will know what to do and how to fly your $2000 investment. Dont believe me? Google "first drone fights" and see how many drones end up in a tree, or flying into the operators face. :)

Just got my first drone-Mavic 2 Pro. Using it to film real estate, mountain bike riding, vacations, etc. I have flown it a dozen times and keep it within 100 feet. What I'm having a problem with is I don't trust the drone(really myself) to fly it

The attached flight check list is a big help for me. I don't fly that often but I go over that list every time.

Attachments

• Mavic Pro flight check list.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Housenotes
Also get DJI care for drone coverage and liability insurance. these will be worth the risk and responsibility. I highly recommend both and it does not cost a bomb at all.

Most people I've talked to got scared! But, let me let you know, it's a process of getting experience.
To fly up to 400ft. and see your Lil' Mavic look like it's too far, and going to fly away can cause heart palps!
The worst is, flying your drone by eyesight to a distant spot. Then looking at the remote to adjust the gimbal, etc, for a photo,
taking the photo, then looking up to not be able to find your drone! Panic can ensue!
But, let me tell you the secret, of overcoming this. There's no problem! Your Mavic will just hover, if you let go of the sticks.
Look back into the controller's screen (phone/Tablet), and take a look around!
I know you are supposed to keep your eyes on the drone, but that is the cause of panic.
Take your time and pretend you are flying inside the drone, like a video game.
You'll see clearly where you are, and can probably spin around, and soon find the little man on the ground holding the controller! LOL!
Just make sure you have good altitude, and fly back towards him. (You).
Pretty soon you'll hear the drone approaching and be able to find it in the sky, and take over with visual flying, to land.
Of course, the best situation is to have an observer carefully keep track and let you know from their vantage point. But the best calm feeling is when you are just watching your flight through the camera gimbal.
An observer allows you to fly like a bird. There are still things to be concerned about, but the scare factor will be replaced with awe. Aloha!

Just got my first drone-Mavic 2 Pro. Using it to film real estate, mountain bike riding, vacations, etc.

All good. Just be certain that the Real Estate you film is your own. Can't film for commercial use without a Part 107

I have flown it a dozen times and keep it within 100 feet. What I'm having a problem with is I don't trust the drone(really myself) to fly it high enough-150 feet, or far enough-maybe as much as a few hundred yards away from me.

Good deal then keep it within your comfort zone until you are comfortable. Number 1 rule don't fly beyond your capabilities.

I am so afraid of 1) losing signal 2) losing sight 3) getting it back home without hitting a tree.

That feeling will wane as you get more flights and experience. Again, fly within your comfort zone. Force yourself to learn what happens when you lose signal, lose sight.. Stay away from trees. Practice all of the scenarios that you fear. Learn how the M2 reacts to those situations. Learn how to get it back under all circumstances. Buy a Tello or practice quad and fly that to work on your skills.

Thanks for all that have replied and given me help and encouragement. Have been practicing practicing practicing and starting to feel a little more secure and in control. Even had a professional drone photographer take it up and away to where I could barely see it and brought it back safely, so starting to realize just how great this little drone is. So I took it on my Florida vacation with my wife and even managed to have the nerve to fly it over the ocean to take pictures of us and landed safely! My only problem was the next day my left stick would not calibrate, wouldn’t go in the up position to allow me to fly the drone and I ended up having to send the controller back to DJI. Still waiting for it to be returned and find out what caused the problem. Hard to have a three week old drone sitting staring at me with no way to fly it.☹ Again thanks to all for the tips and advice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas