DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drone photography - camera question

Amac123

Reactions
Hi guys,
I have just bought myself a MP2, which I few for the first time last week.
I was really surprised how easy it was to fly, and how easy it the app was to get used to.

Just a quick couple of questions if I may ask:
How to you format the SD card? I cant find that anywhere.
Also can you down load the images from the SD card via DJ assistant?
I thought it might be easier than fiddling about trying to get the SD card out.

Overall I ma really pleased, and cant wait to practice and use a new dimension in my photography.
Cheers for any help or advice...

Reactions: guigen
Whoops daft question, I have found the format function in the app :)

Hi , I found. That it easy to format new SD card using my laptop . I use either an SD card adapter or a flash drive style adapter (they came with micro SDcard) to insert the Mavic micro SD card into the laptop , then when i open that SD card from my directory , "format SD Card" is an option that pops right up , its fast and clears off the SD card clean and ready to be installed back in the Mavic.

Reactions: tfj
Also can you down load the images from the SD card via DJ assistant?
I thought it might be easier than fiddling about trying to get the SD card out.

If you plug in your Mavic directly into your computer via supplied USB cable, the SD Card and the onboard memory show up as 2 removable drives, allowing you to access your recorded footage and photos. I’m not sure if this answers your question - this method doesn’t need the DJI Assistant. I’m not too familiar with It’s capabilities though.

Oh cheers guys, just tried it, as you said it is just like from a USB drive.....
All I need now is this rubbish cloudy weather to go!
I have been landing on a sit down walking mat, just to keep if off any damp grass, which I am guessing wont be good for it?

Reactions: tfj and guigen
Oh cheers guys, just tried it, as you said it is just like from a USB drive.....
All I need now is this rubbish cloudy weather to go!
I have been landing on a sit down walking mat, just to keep if off any damp grass, which I am guessing wont be good for it?

No worries. Hope the wx clears up soon for you.

Damp Grass wouldn’t be great, especially with the camera so close to the tera firma.

I would look at getting a foldable landing pad. Something you can peg down so it doesn’t blow away by winds or the prop wash. There’s plenty on Amazon. Having said that, if the walking mat works for you, then that’s all you need [emoji3].

On regular cameras there was always the belief that it was better to format the card in camera. That is because there were some bits of information proprietary to the individual brand and model of the camera. I have never known if this were true or not, but always did it that way just in case. You can find this belief easily all over the web. Here is an example.

“Formatting the card removes all the files, whereas deleting files only removes the ones you can see. Directories, files in other than the current directory and any files you may have uploaded to the card remain.

Formatting in the camera does more than formatting in the computer (e.g., using a card reader). The camera adds the directory structure and ancillary files needed by the image processor. These files should be automatically added if insert a computer-formatted card - but it's better to be sure.

A new card should always be formatted in the device in which it is to be used.”

Last edited:
Hi, yes I know what you mean, from my camera background I have just got used to doing it the camera.

On regular cameras there was always the belief that it was better to format the card in camera.
That sounds like it makes sense but it really makes no difference.
I have been formatting SD cards in the computer after copying the images to my HD and done it thousands of times over the years.
Format your card wherever is convenient.

Interesting so I did some research online.

Canon says:
“If the card is new or was previously formatted by another camera or personal computer, format the card with the camera.”

Various people online claim that Sandisk says the same but I could not find it.

Nikon says this:
“Can I format the memory card on my computer?
No, you did not ruin your memory card. Please re-format the card using your Nikon camera. -1
This is because, the default format for a disk in Windows XP is "FAT32", (File Allocation Table 32). However, some Nikon digital cameras can only accept cards that are formatted as "FAT "or "FAT16".
Therefore, if you still wish to format your memory card using the computer, please select "FAT" or "FAT16" from the "File System" drop down list. Alternatively you can simply format the memory card in the camera.”

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots