DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Drones from Massachusetts

Wow, I had no idea there were so many of us Mass Holes on this site! :cool: I spent the better part of my life on Cape Ann. Now that I have an MPZ I can't wait till it warms up to get some footage of the beautiful coastline we have here!
I assume you know all the great spots to fly from.I found Stage Fort Park a pretty good takeoff point.

I haven't actually had my MPZ up there yet, but Stage Fort is deffinately a good spot right on the harbor. Another great spot would be the back shore by Bass Rocks. Just be careful if you fly out to Thachers Island. The north side is considered a bird sanctuary. The rest of the island is fine. Beautiful coastline up there, enjoy!

Reactions: offtheback
Hi guys, weather finally warmed up enough to take my Mavic Air out for a spin today. I went down to the old Weymouth Naval Air Station (now Union Point) and had a blast. Several other pilots down there also. Can't wait to really learn my aircraft, and get some good photos/video.

Hi Charles - I’m also a new drone pilot from Arlington, MA (not too far from you!) I’m currently flying a toy drone for learning purposes (which has been super helpful in my opinion), but my Mavic Air arrives tomorrow and I’m really excited to get it set up and start flying.

I’d love to talk to some other MA folks about where they like to fly, and answer some questions I have about restrictions in MA. It seems pretty vague as to what areas are actually off-limits beyond the obvious federal ones. It’s my understanding that flying in state parks is generally ok, but national parks are obviously not. I’d like to get some clarification on that. Particularly, Crane Beach in Ipswich and Plum Island appears to be ok per AirMap, but I know that parts of Plum Island are part of the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, so I’m curious if anyone here has experience flying there.

Welcome Charles, and have fun!

Dave
Arlington, MA

Hi Dave,

I'm also new and in Westford, MA. Did you find out if you can fly the drone in the Wildlife Refuge at Plum Island? I hope so because I would like to get some videos and photos of the ocean and sunset over there.

Truly,
Emad

Hi Dave,

I'm also new and in Westford, MA. Did you find out if you can fly the drone in the Wildlife Refuge at Plum Island? I hope so because I would like to get some videos and photos of the ocean and sunset over there.

Truly,
Emad

Airport at the end of Plum Island. Make sure to call them as they very often do training and new pilots might not handle drones as well as experienced ones. I called once and the guy who answer told me to fly from X to Z etc and told me I would get better footage in certain areas. Was a nice guy

I assume you know all the great spots to fly from.I found Stage Fort Park a pretty good takeoff point.
I've launched from Fort Point in the past. Beautiful area. Would love to try one of the Phantoms with a larger sensor than the P4s sometime.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga