DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to hobby and wanting to upgrade, suggestions?

Deuces

Reactions
Hello all, I am currently flying a okay toy drone by Snaptain. Don't laugh! I had to start somewhere.

Looking for advice of what to get next. Do I spend all I can afford? Or is it better to get a lower level model or possibly a used unit?

From what I've read about so far the Mavic 3 PRO would be what I would like to endup with.

Please give advice what is a good way to enter and some recommendations of where to buy.

Thanks in advance

Hi, and welcome. I'd suggest a Mini 3 Pro to start with. It's (likely) not going to break the bank, and it undoubtedly will meet your needs with respect to video and photos. You can upgrade later, once you master it. Just my two cents.

If you can afford it get the Mavic 3 pro. I was happy with mine until I crashed it. Getting repaired now.

Reactions: maggior
Hello all, I am currently flying a okay toy drone by Snaptain. Don't laugh! I had to start somewhere.

Looking for advice of what to get next. Do I spend all I can afford? Or is it better to get a lower level model or possibly a used unit?

From what I've read about so far the Mavic 3 PRO would be what I would like to endup with.

Please give advice what is a good way to enter and some recommendations of where to buy.

Thanks in advance
I've found that buying a drone is like buying a P.C. It helps if you know exactly what you want to do with it. There are lots of consumer class drones with wildly varying capabilities and specs but the best quality and most reliable are made by DJI.
The bigger drones (Air series and Mavics) have more power and weight meaning they fly more stably in wind conditions higher than a sparrow fart.
The mini 2 and mini 3 are surprisingly capable little drones carrying cameras that will kick out pretty impressive stills and video given the miniscule size of the camera unit.
Older Mavics, like the original PRO/ PLATINUM and the Mavic 2 series as well as the Air 2 and Air 2S are still excellent drones, the good ones hold their value pretty well, so they'll still be pretty pricey for old birds but they might not break the bank.
The sub-250's will give you the chance to use them in places where bigger drones fear to tread and if you can afford it, the baseline Mini 3Pro with RC-N1 controller won't disappoint.

Felix’s reply typifies the Forum. Great and helpful full of purchasing facts. Do your homework and you won’t be disappointed. The dji range is superb.

Coming from snaptain, anything in the dji lineup will be a quantum leap forward. You have flown drones, know what they are capable of, and seem to know what you want. If you can afford a M3 Pro, I say go for it. The only big advantage I see of the Mini series is if you travel internationally and plan to fly, there are far less restrictions with a sub 250g drone.

I came from the Holy Stone world, so I appreciate the big leap in capability you are about to experience. I started with a Mavic Air 2 and upgraded to an Air 2S. Good luck with your decision.

Hello all, I am currently flying an okay toy drone by Snaptain. Don't laugh! I had to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance
In 2016 I started out with the spark which is like the smallest Drone available at the time by DJI over the course of time I have graduated through the different size drones. start with DJI smallest drone like a mini and then just put it through the paces get through the anxiety in thrashing around and then once you feel comfortable working the controller like it’s a PS controler, then move up to the Mavic 3 Pro you will not be disappointed, and it will take you about three months

If you want to be able to fly pretty much anywhere without any licensing or registration then the mini 3 pro is your choice. Its a capable and great little bird. The mini's just can't compete with their bigger brothers in the wind though. If you want the best there is (currently) the Mavic 3 Pro is king.
The newly released Air 3 is a great midrange bird with all the features you could ever want but slightly lower quality cameras than the Mavic 3 series.
All of DJI'S birds are great flyers and have great photography abilities so it's your choice.

Thanks in advance
Be aware that many are having issues with transferring video from the mini 3 pro to an iPhone or iPad (me being one). Several people have reported turning off mobile data allows for video transfer. That has not worked for me. Still seeking help and works around for the issue.

I use to tell my students to buy the best drone they could afford to lose when they crash it. Definitely get care repair insurance for a new expensive drone.
Buying a used mini 2 until you know how high in the price range you want to go could make sense.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

I have stumbled upon a 3month old Mavic 3 Classic with RC & fly more kit for $1400. Says there is still 9months warranty left. I think it's a good price. But not knowing much at all about these, can you tell age by serial # ?
Also I read about registering unit. How's that work? What else should I be aware of?

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

I have stumbled upon a 3month old Mavic 3 Classic with RC & fly more kit for $1400. Says there is still 9months warranty left. I think it's a good price. But not knowing much at all about these, can you tell age by serial # ?
Also I read about registering unit. How's that work? What else should I be aware of?
That's a good price with the flymore kit. Make sure the sale is legit and you have options in case you have issues activating the aircraft (reported stolen to Dji will render it useless).

Reactions: tls3601
So.. how do you check that out?
You can't really until you have the drone and RC in your hands. You need to create a DJI account so you can login and attach the aircraft to your account.
I suggest you download DJI Fly to your phone and set up an account.

If you want to "end up" with the Mavic 3 Pro, I'm not sure spending $400-800 for a Min2/Mini3 FMC as an intermediate step is getting the best bang for your buck....unless you want to have both a Mini3 and a Mavic3, for instance

now, if you're looking to save money on a used/refurbished drone, I'd first check the refurbished drones at DJI and Drone Nerds

DJI Refurbished Products - Up to 20% Savings, Certified Quality and Full Warranty | DJI.com

Buy DJI Refurbished Drones at DroneNerds.com - DJI Warranty Included - Save Big

you might be able to save some money buying from some anonymous person on the internet, but it's my view you'd need to save at least 30% over the refurbished-by-DJI drones in order to warrant taking the risk. I prefer the peace of mind, and warranty, and care refresh, of buying from a reputable source

as other have said, the Mini 3 does offer some advantages because of the 250g weight. It's also more transportable. I have both the Mini 3 and Mavic 3; hard cases for both. And the hard case for the Mavic 3 is twice the size of the case for the Mini 3, and nearly 3 times as heavy. The Mini 3 is also a "quieter" drone so it not as obtrusive

that said, I fly the Mavic 3 about 8-9 times for every one time I fly the Mini 3. The camera is better meaning video and photos are higher quality. It isn't a big difference, but it's noticeable. I like the longer flight time of the Mavic 3 (the plus batteries for the Mini 3 balance that scale though). I also like the 46mph speed I can achieve with the Mavic 3 in sport mode, even though that turns off the 360 degree obstacle avoidance

if you ever fly in real remote areas with steep hills/mountains/cliffs, the Mavic 3 will also let you fly 1000m/3280ft above home point instead of being locked at 500M/1640ft. You have to be more than 30 miles from any airport though (which is common in Eastern Oregon/Northern Nevada. The precision landing feature is also amazing. I had a flight that was all over a steep glacial gorge. My total traveled distance was over 30,000 ft, and my altitude varied from -320 ft to +2260 ft, and I allowed the drone to return home and land itself. And it landed within 3 inches of it's takeoff point

Reactions: tls3601
Thanks for all the replies!
I was fortunate enough to find a used Mavic 3 Classic with 6 months warranty still left on it.
Have it binded to my DJI account, got a FAA Reg #, and took the Trust test.
I think I'm all legal now. Woo Hoo!

Oh my....this drone is awesome!

If you want to "end up" with the Mavic 3 Pro, I'm not sure spending $400-800 for a Min2/Mini3 FMC as an intermediate step is getting the best bang for your buck....unless you want to have both a Mini3 and a Mavic3, for instance

now, if you're looking to save money on a used/refurbished drone, I'd first check the refurbished drones at DJI and Drone Nerds

DJI Refurbished Products - Up to 20% Savings, Certified Quality and Full Warranty | DJI.com

Buy DJI Refurbished Drones at DroneNerds.com - DJI Warranty Included - Save Big

you might be able to save some money buying from some anonymous person on the internet, but it's my view you'd need to save at least 30% over the refurbished-by-DJI drones in order to warrant taking the risk. I prefer the peace of mind, and warranty, and care refresh, of buying from a reputable source

as other have said, the Mini 3 does offer some advantages because of the 250g weight. It's also more transportable. I have both the Mini 3 and Mavic 3; hard cases for both. And the hard case for the Mavic 3 is twice the size of the case for the Mini 3, and nearly 3 times as heavy. The Mini 3 is also a "quieter" drone so it not as obtrusive

that said, I fly the Mavic 3 about 8-9 times for every one time I fly the Mini 3. The camera is better meaning video and photos are higher quality. It isn't a big difference, but it's noticeable. I like the longer flight time of the Mavic 3 (the plus batteries for the Mini 3 balance that scale though). I also like the 46mph speed I can achieve with the Mavic 3 in sport mode, even though that turns off the 360 degree obstacle avoidance

if you ever fly in real remote areas with steep hills/mountains/cliffs, the Mavic 3 will also let you fly 1000m/3280ft above home point instead of being locked at 500M/1640ft. You have to be more than 30 miles from any airport though (which is common in Eastern Oregon/Northern Nevada. The precision landing feature is also amazing. I had a flight that was all over a steep glacial gorge. My total traveled distance was over 30,000 ft, and my altitude varied from -320 ft to +2260 ft, and I allowed the drone to return home and land itself. And it landed within 3 inches of it's takeoff point
I would like to eventually own that model, amazing how precise/accurate those landings are👍😳

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks