DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new to mapping!

cris85

Reactions
drone u or pilot institude?...i want to learn more about mapping,what source is more reliable and professional?...if anybody has any other sources feel free,thank you!

Definitely Pilot Institute over Drone U any day.

DroneDeploy has a series of very good videos for free, but you may need to be a member/subscriber.

drone u or pilot institude?...i want to learn more about mapping,what source is more reliable and professional?...if anybody has any other sources feel free,thank you!

100% Not DroneEww...not for mapping and not for anything else.... Negative!!

Pilot Institute is an excellent source of instruction but I can't comment on their mapping course as I've not taken that one yet.

I'm sure @pilotinstitute can shed more light on this topic for us all.

DroneDeploy has a series of very good videos for free, but you may need to be a member/subscriber.

Some of their "Entry Level" courses are Free but the rest are for Subscribed Members which has a fee. However, if you're planning to us Drone Deploy their courses are highly recommended. I've been using them for a few years and just went through a few of their "DD Academy" and I was surprised how much I learned and I was able to simplify one of my more complex flight plans. I'm hoping to get back into the field tomorrow to test these new changes and compare them to the workflow from 2 weeks ago.

Many Accredited Junior Colleges also have online GIS and Drone Tech courses- I am in a certificate program for one right now. They offer courses that will teach you many professional level skills beyond basic ‘mapping and 3D modeling. They also have partnerships with ESRI, the premier GIS mapping software used for mapping by most industries- and the student subscriptions you get with it are free. It would be a great next step for you after a couple introductory courses.

Here’s an example program- people graduating with such a certificate can make $70k + out of school with just the certificate:

Last edited:
Many Accredited Junior Colleges also have online GIS and Drone Tech courses- I am in a certificate program for one right now. They offer courses that will teach you many professional level skills beyond basic ‘mapping and 3D modeling. They also have partnerships with ESRI, the premier GIS mapping software used for mapping by most industries- and the student subscriptions you get with it are free. It would be a great next step for you after a couple introductory courses.

Here’s an example program- people graduating with such a certificate can make $70k + out of school with just the certificate:

thank you for the info.so you recommend this source after a course like pilot's institude course?

Reactions: jaja6009 and AMann
and another thing,what do you mean about the student subscriptions you get it are free?
Many companies like ESRI have agreements with colleges giving students a free educational account for use during their courses. I have free access to ArcGIS pro that way.
thank you for the info.so you recommend this source after a course like pilot's institude course?
Well both offer introductory classes, but the colleges give you access to the programs you’ll be using, or a student discount for them. I think the private classes will probably need you to purchase them yourself.

Last edited:

At my local Community College, there is an Associates Degree in sUAS Technology.
Just like you said you get to use Arc Pro, Drone Deploy (Full account with all the bells and whistles) and Pix 4 D.
You also get access to different drones that most people do not get a chance to fly.
And of course you have access to a professor or instructor at any time while enrolled.
Our school also helps to place graduates in jobs when able and fully collaborates with other entities that use drones.

OP, look in your area for a similar program.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki