DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to the forum and just bought a Mavic Air 2

walke121

Reactions
Just want to introduce myself and say hello from Alabama. I purchased a Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo on Tuesday. I’m new to quality “enthusiast” level drones and after some research and was between the Mini 2, Fimi X8 SE 2020, or the Air 2. For me the Air 2 just seemed like the best choice for me. I’ve owned 2 “toy” drones before (one a $200ish Chinese drone and a indoor nano drone. It was ordered Tuesday and should be here Tomorrow and I have a 3 day weekend to get to know the drone and get some training and experience. I’ve already registered as a recreational pilot with the FAA and went and got 2 sandisk extreme 128gb micro as cards. I look forward to learning some great info on here and right now I don’t have that many questions but I’m sure that will change when I receive the drone. I just have one question right now. Is there anything else I need to do before I get the drone to help me get flying faster once I get the drone in my hands?

edit: Just noticed it said I’m 86 years old. I somehow put my birth year as 1934 but I’m 36 and born in 1984. ???

Hi walke121 Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Air 2 manual HERE
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN

Welcome to the forum.

I changed your birth year. Make sure it shows up as you want it to :)

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland walke121.

I’ve owned 2 “toy” drones before (one a $200ish Chinese drone and a indoor nano drone.

Toy drones are easy to crash.

DJI drones are easy to fly.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hi walke121 Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Air 2 manual HERE
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN

Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely read the manual before I take it out the first time. I have 2 Sandisk Extreme 128gb cards so I think I should be ok for now. I might pick up another later if I find myself filling up the cards before I get them uploaded to my computer but I think 2x128gb cards will work for the time being. As for the first flight in open areas my family has a cattle farm with around 500 acres and most of it is open pasture. I will go there to get familiar with the drone and gain experience. It’s probably the only place I’ll fly for a while. Even thought I’m new to drones I’m very experienced in RC. I have 2 RC 1/8 buggies (1 nitro and 1 electric), a 1/8 truggy, a HPI Savage, and a Traxxis XO-1. The XO-1 will do 100mph and most of the others will run 50-60mph but I know having experience in that means nothing when it comes to the air but learning how to drive them (esp the XO-1) has fought me how to be very careful and to take my time and learn and gain experience before I even get close to start pushing the limits of them.

That’s what I’ve been told and I can’t wait to find out. I’ve probably watched 8-10 hours of YouTube videos to help me narrow down my choice and I’m glad I really took the time to research because I wasn’t planning on spending $1k on a drone but I realized that the Mavic Air 2 is exactly what I was looking for. As for those other two drones the $200 drone actually served me pretty well for about 6 month before a motor quit working. It was cheap plastic, terrible camera, and remote but it got me interested in drones. I had it about 3 years ago and I got it because I got $150 from either Tower Hobbies or A-main from all the money I spent on my RC cars. I have anywhere from $1500-3000 in both buggies and the truggy. The nano drone was totally free from one of the sites as well. I had a blast flying it around the house but it was very easy to crash and one day it just stopped working but I definitely got plenty of use from it when I had it and it’s why I got the other drone.

I’m so surprised how many people have commented on this post already and how active this forum seems. It looks like I’ve definitely found the right place to learn more and talk to other drone enthusiasts.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78