DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to video editing

Rex Peters

Reactions
Is there a tutorial for editing video on the dji fly app? I have never edited video clips before.
Thank you ?

Reactions: Prismatic
Not the DJI app per se but HERE is a link to YouTube page that has a bunch of videos on editing drone videos

Is there a tutorial for editing video on the dji fly app? I have never edited video clips before.
Thank you ?
I would try to select a real editor like iMovie ,final cut pro ,filmora, Premier Pro And many others and then stick with it because there is lots to learn and YouTube can teach it all for free

I'm new to all this too. In my opinion, is it depends on the level you are wanting to achieve. The apps suggested are great with very powerful features BUT the learning curve on most of them is very steep (particularly fo a 67-year-old gray matter). Plus, for smooth playback, the computer requirements on most of them are high, needing fast processors, lots of RAM and higher-end video cards for the display. If you are wanting to work with 2.7K or 4K you need a very robust system.

I don't have a system like that and am not interested in spending substantial dollars to upgrade a computer to edit videos I am creating just for fun. I have no visions of grandeur just want to produce simple videos I enjoy watching and maybe sharing with a few friends. For that reason, I have decided to work in 1080 and even some 720 (both workable on my older computer). Not to mention the poor internet access in my area often chokes on streaming even 1080 and anything higher will never work.

You will find most all the apps have a similar interface with the more high powered ones just having many more layers of features and controls. I have looked at a lot of apps but right now I am using VideoPad by NCH. Yes, it is very basic and many people out there will scoff. But it allows you to do simple editing on a simple interface. It works reasonably well on a low powered computer and you can create nice videos. Note - because of my weak computer, clips added need a few seconds to render before they will display smoothly, so it makes the process a little slower.

If you learn the basics with VideoPad - which won't require a lot of time - the concepts will transfer to more sophisticated app if or when you decided to do so. They also have tutorial videos to help with the process although I have yet to watch any. Also, the price is right - for non-commercial use it is free so there is not a lot to lose. I am sure there are better apps out there but for now, this is working for me. (And NO, I have no connection to NCH)

A link to VideoPad - Video Editing Software. Free Download. Easy Movie Editor.

Just to give you a sample of its output, here is a link to the first video I have created with it. It's nothing fancy. I'm still trying to learn to fly the Mini much less get the great video! -

Last edited:
Reactions: Khayman
I'm new to all this too. In my opinion, is it depends on the level you are wanting to achieve. The apps suggested are great with very powerful features BUT the learning curve on most of them is very steep (particularly fo a 67-year-old gray matter). Plus, for smooth playback, the computer requirements on most of them are high, needing fast processors, lots of RAM and higher-end video cards for the display. If you are wanting to work with 2.7K or 4K you need a very robust system.

I don't have a system like that and am not interested in spending substantial dollars to upgrade a computer to edit videos I am creating just for fun. I have no visions of grandeur just want to produce simple videos I enjoy watching and maybe sharing with a few friends. For that reason, I have decided to work in 1080 and even some 720 (both workable on my older computer). Not to mention the poor internet access in my area often chokes on streaming even 1080 and anything higher will never work.

You will find most all the apps have a similar interface with the more high powered ones just having many more layers of features and controls. I have looked at a lot of apps but right now I am using VideoPad by NCH. Yes, it is very basic and many people out there will scoff. But it allows you to do simple editing on a simple interface. It works reasonably well on a low powered computer and you can create nice videos. Note - because of my weak computer, clips added need a few seconds to render before they will display smoothly, so it makes the process a little slower. Another downside is the color correction tools are very poor and this will be a deal killer for many. But right now that is not a major concern for me. I have a lot to learn about shooting and editing before I worry about fine-tuning.

If you learn the basics with VideoPad - which won't require a lot of time - the concepts will transfer to more sophisticated app if or when you decided to do so. They also have tutorial videos to help with the process although I have yet to watch any. Also, the price is right - for non-commercial use it is free so there is not a lot to lose. I am sure there are better apps out there but for now, this is working for me. (And NO, I have no connection to NCH)

Just to give you a sample of its output, here is a link to the first video I have created with it. Yea, it was uploaded to YouTube as 720. That was a mistake. Should have used 1080 as it looks MUCH better. Anyway, it's nothing fancy. I'm still trying to learn to fly the Mini much less get the great video! -

That looks pretty good, I like the transitions and music

The DJI Fly editor is pretty good but I wasn't able to find any good tutorials or how to videos. After playing around with it for several hours I finally figured out how to do the basic editing functions. DJI really needs to publish some better tutorials on the Fly Video Editor.

Look up On1 software, they are an excellent still photo editing system but they have announced that early in the new year they will be launching their new video editing software and have promised to remove the normal big learning curve and it is geared towards drone video editing. Just keep an eye on this company and take a look at what they will offer, once it is launched.

You will find most all the apps have a similar interface with the more high powered ones just having many more layers of features and controls. I have looked at a lot of apps but right now I am using VideoPad by NCH. Yes, it is very basic and many people out there will scoff. But it allows you to do simple editing on a simple interface. It works reasonably well on a low powered computer and you can create nice videos. Note - because of my weak computer, clips added need a few seconds to render before they will display smoothly, so it makes the process a little slower.

Just to give you a sample of its output, here is a link to the first video I have created with it. It's nothing fancy. I'm still trying to learn to fly the Mini much less get the great video! -

Thanks for the info. Like you, I want something easy too learn as I’m one of those old grey matter types.
Cheers,

The DJI Fly editor is pretty good but I wasn't able to find any good tutorials or how to videos. After playing around with it for several hours I finally figured out how to do the basic editing functions. DJI really needs to publish some better tutorials on the Fly Video Editor.
Has anyone found a way in dji fly app to fade out music and movie in the end instead of a abrupt stop?

Awesome! Thanks.
But no fading out video right?
There's no video fade out, but when you finish the video edit and export, the app adds a few end frames that say DJI in a black background which then fades away. At the cost of pushed branding, it does give a better closure to the video than an abrupt end.

There's no video fade out, but when you finish the video edit and export, the app adds a few end frames that say DJI in a black background which then fades away. At the cost of pushed branding, it does give a better closure to the video than an abrupt end.
Yes but only if you use the pre designed templates. If you go pro you can't do that it seems.

Yes but only if you use the pre designed templates. If you go pro you can't do that it seems.
If you want it in pro, there's a way.
Create any video using pre designed template, or quickshot. Open it to edit again in pro. Cut out everythin but the last few end frames of DJI branding and fade out. Save it as a video. Now open the video you actually want to edit in pro. While selecting the batch, also add the branding faded video you made and stitch it at the end of you actual video.
It's a one time effort to make the branding video and it'll help you always. Another thing you can do is make a customized end slate with you name on it thru one of the websites and store it on youe phone. You can use this as the end frames on every video you edit in pro on DJI fly and still have the fade out effect, that too with custom branding :)

Reactions: Xanadu and Khayman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+