DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to video editing

If you want it in pro, there's a way.
Create any video using pre designed template, or quickshot. Open it to edit again in pro. Cut out everythin but the last few end frames of DJI branding and fade out. Save it as a video. Now open the video you actually want to edit in pro. While selecting the batch, also add the branding faded video you made and stitch it at the end of you actual video.
It's a one time effort to make the branding video and it'll help you always. Another thing you can do is make a customized end slate with you name on it thru one of the websites and store it on youe phone. You can use this as the end frames on every video you edit in pro on DJI fly and still have the fade out effect, that too with custom branding :)
Great ideas ??
Thank you very much.

Best free editor out there is Davinci Resolve, from Balck Magic Designs. Download and install, then go to youtube for tutorials. I was intimidated by video editing software when I first started, but it didn't take long to get the basics down (and the basics can take you a very long way)

Reactions: Khayman
I'm new to all this too. In my opinion, is it depends on the level you are wanting to achieve. The apps suggested are great with very powerful features BUT the learning curve on most of them is very steep (particularly fo a 67-year-old gray matter). Plus, for smooth playback, the computer requirements on most of them are high, needing fast processors, lots of RAM and higher-end video cards for the display. If you are wanting to work with 2.7K or 4K you need a very robust system.

I don't have a system like that and am not interested in spending substantial dollars to upgrade a computer to edit videos I am creating just for fun. I have no visions of grandeur just want to produce simple videos I enjoy watching and maybe sharing with a few friends. For that reason, I have decided to work in 1080 and even some 720 (both workable on my older computer). Not to mention the poor internet access in my area often chokes on streaming even 1080 and anything higher will never work.

You will find most all the apps have a similar interface with the more high powered ones just having many more layers of features and controls. I have looked at a lot of apps but right now I am using VideoPad by NCH. Yes, it is very basic and many people out there will scoff. But it allows you to do simple editing on a simple interface. It works reasonably well on a low powered computer and you can create nice videos. Note - because of my weak computer, clips added need a few seconds to render before they will display smoothly, so it makes the process a little slower.

If you learn the basics with VideoPad - which won't require a lot of time - the concepts will transfer to more sophisticated app if or when you decided to do so. They also have tutorial videos to help with the process although I have yet to watch any. Also, the price is right - for non-commercial use it is free so there is not a lot to lose. I am sure there are better apps out there but for now, this is working for me. (And NO, I have no connection to NCH)

A link to VideoPad - Video Editing Software. Free Download. Easy Movie Editor.

Just to give you a sample of its output, here is a link to the first video I have created with it. It's nothing fancy. I'm still trying to learn to fly the Mini much less get the great video! -

What range did you film? (I

It is ATA's World Shooting Complex near Sparta, IL which is operated by the State of Illinois. Shooting station line is 2.5 miles long! The whole complex is right at 3 miles long. Plus it has the largest RV campground in the state.

I live a couple of miles down the road. With the exception of maybe 4 weeks out of the year, it is deserted. Great place to fly drones and RC planes.

Is there a tutorial for editing video on the dji fly app?

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned it yet, but the DJI Fly app itself includes a number of video tutorials, including how to edit videos in DJI Fly. I’m guessing you’ve already learned quite a bit yourself in the last month-and-a-half.

Here’s the specific video:

My first-ever video editing was on DJI Fly about a month ago. Now I’m learning post-production techniques, and realize I have so far to go...but in the right direction.

Best free editor out there is Davinci Resolve, from Balck Magic Designs. Download and install, then go to youtube for tutorials. I was intimidated by video editing software when I first started, but it didn't take long to get the basics down (and the basics can take you a very long way)
Definitely, but my Mac is to old to accept that one sorry to say.

I'm new to all this too. In my opinion, is it depends on the level you are wanting to achieve. The apps suggested are great with very powerful features BUT the learning curve on most of them is very steep (particularly fo a 67-year-old gray matter). Plus, for smooth playback, the computer requirements on most of them are high, needing fast processors, lots of RAM and higher-end video cards for the display. If you are wanting to work with 2.7K or 4K you need a very robust system.

I don't have a system like that and am not interested in spending substantial dollars to upgrade a computer to edit videos I am creating just for fun. I have no visions of grandeur just want to produce simple videos I enjoy watching and maybe sharing with a few friends. For that reason, I have decided to work in 1080 and even some 720 (both workable on my older computer). Not to mention the poor internet access in my area often chokes on streaming even 1080 and anything higher will never work.

You will find most all the apps have a similar interface with the more high powered ones just having many more layers of features and controls. I have looked at a lot of apps but right now I am using VideoPad by NCH. Yes, it is very basic and many people out there will scoff. But it allows you to do simple editing on a simple interface. It works reasonably well on a low powered computer and you can create nice videos. Note - because of my weak computer, clips added need a few seconds to render before they will display smoothly, so it makes the process a little slower.

If you learn the basics with VideoPad - which won't require a lot of time - the concepts will transfer to more sophisticated app if or when you decided to do so. They also have tutorial videos to help with the process although I have yet to watch any. Also, the price is right - for non-commercial use it is free so there is not a lot to lose. I am sure there are better apps out there but for now, this is working for me. (And NO, I have no connection to NCH)

Just to give you a sample of its output, here is a link to the first video I have created with it. It's nothing fancy. I'm still trying to learn to fly the Mini much less get the great video! -

You don't happen to know a program like that for Mac?
I'm looking for something easy to make family videos and not pro.

Adobe Premiere Rush is quite easy to use. But it's not free.

And it has some strange limitations at this point (no way to reverse a video for example)

use iMovie for Mac, It’s free

Reactions: Thomas B

Top of the morning,
You are selling yourself short my friend. Your first Vid is excellent. Well orchestrated flight maneuvers and great choice of music. Much better than my 1st Vid with video Pad. Flying my MM is much easier than video editing. You can be proud of your editing skills. Keep up the good work.

Blue Skys & Happy Trails.
Bob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes