DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New type of gps tracker coming out soon

MAVEYE

Reactions
Just thought i would pass this on in case anyone was interested in a possible alternative to using a tile or other type of lost mavic location device?

b2cc233fa42765c77da6867186afdd36.jpg

Samsung will release a trackable tagthat it says is the first consumer mobile product to use narrowband network technology (NB-IoT). Narrowband networks connect Internet of Things devices through cellular communication bands. The networks are designed for devices that use small amounts of data and power and provides the capability to securely connect to the Internet for location services. The Samsung Connect Tag provides location information both indoors and out using GPS, Wi-Fi based positioning, and cell ID for location tracking. It also has an accelerometer and a 3-colored LED with a claimed battery life of seven days before needing a recharge. The tag currently only works with Android devices.

Samsung says it can be attached, say to a child's backpack, a dog's collar, or personal belongings like your keys or purse to track where they are. The concept is similar to Bluetooth trackers like Tile, though they depend on a phone linked to the tracker’s network coming within range of the tag to report location.

Samsung says the tag has a geofence feature to notify you when your kid, pet, or object strays beyond the limits you set. It can also be tied into Samsung’s own SmartThings ecosystem of smart devices and home appliances. For example, the tag can trigger lights to turn on when a user enters the room or send notifications when a child enters school grounds. There is also a function to request the tag's location at any given time through your smartphone which can be helpful if you’ve parked in a massive parking lot. If you've given your tag to a child, they can use the tag to send you their location details, or you can set up location alerts to be sent to you periodically to track where they are.
The square tag itself is quite small and compact at 1.19-cm thick and 4.21-cm wide. It's also dust and water proof with a battery that can last up to seven days on one charge (compared to Bluetooth trackers that last for about a year.) The tag will be showcased at Samsung's developer conference in San Francisco later this week, and will be initially sold in Korea for an undisclosed price before rolling out to other countries over the next few months.

Looks ideal for the mavic, probably get one for my dog too when they go on sale in the UK . Thanks for posting

Not sure when they will be out on sale over here in the UK. But I think I might invest in one also. But if I see them on sale I will let you know .

Reactions: Dw911
Not sure but the tile is 9.3g
and I am sure some one on this site is probably using one and recorded any flight time difference so I guess what ever they are getting double it ? Sorry I can't help.

Sounds interesting......
I sometimes use my dogs tag, when i do on a long distance flight. It is called Tractive, but needs a dataplan for the GPS at abt 60 USD per year. But works worldwide !

Cheers
Christoph

Don't think it would be hard to attach it to the mavic there's a tile type attachment on the market so probably the same thing. One thing I would be curious about is would another gps signal attached to the mavic cause some sort of interference? I don't know how the tile actually works but this one seems to be a case of if you lost it you use a app and it sends it's gps coordination to your phone probably using Google maps.

it is not really a strong transmitter....gps is a signal u need a rcvr for.
transmitting ist only the position....very small...not even very strong.
so dont see an issue....
and the tractive has no distance issue, as it uses the GSM signal like a phone.

it is not really a strong transmitter....gps is a signal u need a rcvr for.
transmitting ist only the position....very small...not even very strong.
so dont see an issue....
and the tractive has no distance issue, as it uses the GSM signal like a phone.
I thought it works on the mobile network. Gps will grab the coordinates and you use the mobile towers to retreave the info ?

I thought it works on the mobile network. Gps will grab the coordinates and you use the mobile towers to retreave the info ?
That's my understanding of how it works using mobile towers. the bit I was curious about was that it seems to have multi functionality ie. it says it can give you upto date locations of say if you lost your dog you can see where it's been and where it is in real time so asumin this. Would it be transmitting a signal intermittently which is why I was curious would this interfere with the mavics gps ?

I always use 2 gps when hiking. Hand held and watch. I dont notice any interferance but very good question.

Talked about this months ago it lol at least be feb. or better before they take orders again

I'm a backer, they are just now going to production and each one will be hand tested

AWESOME! Another device that uses Cell network to upload the data/co-ordinates. Useless when you are out in the boonies! But it is good for tracking the wife!

When someone comes up with a RF based tracker that I can use with long range Bluetooth or even wifi and connect direct to my phone and send the position there when I need it, even in the middle of the forest in the mountains.

For the record, I have seen a device that can actually do this, well it is devices, the problem is that I would have to build it and I cannot find a transmitter that is small enough to put on a drone, that does not require a license ( IE NOT HAM radio )

When I do actually find and make one, I will let you guys know. I know which device I want to use for the GPS side, I just need the set up to transmit over a radio.. Idealy, a RF unti with cell tower ability is the best, but now I am asking for too much :)

Reactions: erkme73
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun