DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New type of gps tracker coming out soon

It also says that it works on IOS 10 and above. So not limited to Android.

I didn't see how much the monthly service cost for that GPS tracker. Also, what if you are in an area where there is no cell service? I use the Marco Polo. The transmitter only weighs 12g and easily attaches to the Mavic with velcro. I have used it for over 120 flights and never had an issue affecting performance.

The Marco Polo does not use any service or gps. It sends out a beacon that the handheld tracker device can detect for up to 2 miles. The device tells you direction and strength of signal. Best of all, the beacon works for nearly 1 month on a single charge. So plenty of time to find your drone. I have not had occasion to use it to find a lost drone, but I have tested it by having people hide the transmitter in large area and used the handheld unit to find it. Works even in the woods or areas with obstructions like houses and cars.

You will always have the last known GPS location for your drone in the app. That will give you a good idea of the location of the drone. Then you go to the last known location and the Marco Polo will find the drone, even if you are not in range of any cell towers.

It is still possible that the drone may go down in a location that you cannot access. Or go down in water. There are some devices made for fishing equipment that can be attached to a Mavic that will bring it to the surface if it goes down in water.

Last edited:
Not sure when they will be out on sale over here in the UK. But I think I might invest in one also. But if I see them on sale I will let you know .
Probably after it's been discontinued by Samsung, we in the UK might get it. { on time} standard lol

Wonder if this is similar to the cheap tiles from China, they have all the same features but the Geo fence is like 10 meters...lol...I use my cheap tile when losing my **** keys in my house...works all the time..send out a beep or use the radar..I doubt Samnsung would produce a cheap one, GPS on the cheap tiles , uses GPS for the last place you lost signal so if you dropped your keys while walking back from the grocer store, it registers when you lost GEo fence (10 meters) and places it on Goggle maps. So useless for Mavic..

916B6D31-8D51-4902-BC48-1E6A98C1B34C.png I’ve been using the ‘Tractive’ Gps tracker on both my dogs’ collars for the past 6 months. Excellent product. Small, compact and accurate to within a few feet. Living in Ireland, the subscription works out at €50 annually. Note that the ‘Tractive 2’ version is what I have, an upgrade to the original white version, with better battery life etc (4-5 days in standby mode.. meaning it automatically updates the position of your dog/drone to the app every few minutes). However on ending your dog walk/landing your drone you can simply switch it off, thereby extending the battery life. If you wish to ‘live-track’ ie follow it’s every move in real time, then you simply tap on an icon on the app and within 60 seconds you have ‘live-tracking’. In this mode the battery lasts for approximately 8 hours although I’ve never used it for more than a few minutes at a time. The screenshot attached shows accuracy at 11meters, this is simply because it the Tractive device is indoors atm, it is far more accurate once it establishes GPS Connectivity. I’ll be attaching one to my new Mavic Platinum next week when I collect the drone from a hotel in the US I have had it delivered to. Tractive GPS Shop

AWESOME! Another device that uses Cell network to upload the data/co-ordinates. Useless when you are out in the boonies! But it is good for tracking the wife!

When someone comes up with a RF based tracker that I can use with long range Bluetooth or even wifi and connect direct to my phone and send the position there when I need it, even in the middle of the forest in the mountains.

For the record, I have seen a device that can actually do this, well it is devices, the problem is that I would have to build it and I cannot find a transmitter that is small enough to put on a drone, that does not require a license ( IE NOT HAM radio )

When I do actually find and make one, I will let you guys know. I know which device I want to use for the GPS side, I just need the set up to transmit over a radio.. Idealy, a RF unti with cell tower ability is the best, but now I am asking for too much :)

Mayxbe that is the case your neck of the woods, but here in Europe, specially in Switzerland the Cellcoverage is extremly good !
A GPS with RF device exists, but they are too big. Garmin has for example devices to track dogs basis RF....but as said they are huge.
BT is not possible, as BT is for short distance. and if the drone would end up upside down on the BT device, there would be basically not even 5m distance reached by BT.

just my 2c

Cheers Chris

Just thought i would pass this on in case anyone was interested in a possible alternative to using a tile or other type of lost mavic location device?

b2cc233fa42765c77da6867186afdd36.jpg

Samsung will release a trackable tagthat it says is the first consumer mobile product to use narrowband network technology (NB-IoT). Narrowband networks connect Internet of Things devices through cellular communication bands. The networks are designed for devices that use small amounts of data and power and provides the capability to securely connect to the Internet for location services. The Samsung Connect Tag provides location information both indoors and out using GPS, Wi-Fi based positioning, and cell ID for location tracking. It also has an accelerometer and a 3-colored LED with a claimed battery life of seven days before needing a recharge. The tag currently only works with Android devices.

Samsung says it can be attached, say to a child's backpack, a dog's collar, or personal belongings like your keys or purse to track where they are. The concept is similar to Bluetooth trackers like Tile, though they depend on a phone linked to the tracker’s network coming within range of the tag to report location.

Samsung says the tag has a geofence feature to notify you when your kid, pet, or object strays beyond the limits you set. It can also be tied into Samsung’s own SmartThings ecosystem of smart devices and home appliances. For example, the tag can trigger lights to turn on when a user enters the room or send notifications when a child enters school grounds. There is also a function to request the tag's location at any given time through your smartphone which can be helpful if you’ve parked in a massive parking lot. If you've given your tag to a child, they can use the tag to send you their location details, or you can set up location alerts to be sent to you periodically to track where they are.
The square tag itself is quite small and compact at 1.19-cm thick and 4.21-cm wide. It's also dust and water proof with a battery that can last up to seven days on one charge (compared to Bluetooth trackers that last for about a year.) The tag will be showcased at Samsung's developer conference in San Francisco later this week, and will be initially sold in Korea for an undisclosed price before rolling out to other countries over the next few months.

Trackimo by Samsung perhaps?

In my experience with a “gps” tracker that utilizes blue tooth as means of alerting you of location...it sucks! I lost a Mavic and had a Trakr with almost identical capabilities as the Samsung. Although I was under the impression that there were over 1000 users in the Trakr network, not once was I alerted of my MP’s location.

My drone was found months later and the Trakr was dead possibly from exposure to the elements but not my MP. I purchased a Trackimo which I use when not using DJIGO such as Litchi.

Now the Trackimo on the other hand may be a bit pricey at around under $150 and your first year of unlimited GPS tracking free. I believe every year thereafter is like $5 a year for unlimited use. It doesn’t affect flight and I have not experienced any noticeable loss of battery. Now I’m not endorsing Trackimo but only giving you my opinion of apples and oranges. Blue tooth tracking devises based on my opinion only work within range of your cell phone or others in the network win close proximity to your tracker. Trackimo is an actual GPS tracking device independent of your cell phone’s blue tooth.

Reactions: Phill
In my experience with a “gps” tracker that utilizes blue tooth as means of alerting you of location...it sucks! I lost a Mavic and had a Trakr with almost identical capabilities as the Samsung. Although I was under the impression that there were over 1000 users in the Trakr network, not once was I alerted of my MP’s location.

My drone was found months later and the Trakr was dead possibly from exposure to the elements but not my MP. I purchased a Trackimo which I use when not using DJIGO such as Litchi.

Now the Trackimo on the other hand may be a bit pricey at around under $150 and your first year of unlimited GPS tracking free. I believe every year thereafter is like $5 a year for unlimited use. It doesn’t affect flight and I have not experienced any noticeable loss of battery. Now I’m not endorsing Trackimo but only giving you my opinion of apples and oranges. Blue tooth tracking devises based on my opinion only work within range of your cell phone or others in the network win close proximity to your tracker. Trackimo is an actual GPS tracking device independent of your cell phone’s blue tooth.

Trackimo is the only way to go.
Marco polo is OK but only has a range of 2 miles.
The bluetooth ones are useless

I bought a gps tracker when i first got the drone.
Was a mobile phone based one from ebay for 50 bucks. After a while the phone subscription ran out and i decided whatever happens will happen.

Thought about a marco polo which is bybfar the best most light weight product but though the money spent would be better pit aside for when the drone crashes cauae even if u find it, its probably going to be broken and un flyable

Another vote for Trackimo from me.
I will add that the opaque rubber cover for the trackimo can be painted or dyed orange in case it were to separate from the bird and you need to find a little square device instead of the bird with it attached.

Only prob is a flyaway can be more than 2 miles

Or you could be flying over water and it sinks to the bottom....no tracker is going to help you there either. My bet is that 2 miles is enough to cover 99.9% of all flyaways or crashes...

LP

Reactions: Skyangel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead